How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-08-2010, 02:06 AM
One teal and One yellow

92 Wrecked SVX vs 96 Wrecked SVX

Some of you might remember my 92 TEAL SVX was wrecked by just parking at the lot for a stupid reason. It has been sitting more than a year and half, and I bought it back for cheap.

This past few weeks, I have been thinking and looking for parts. Thought of parting out my yellow one to keep my teal one and etc. Then I found out Tom has front fenders I can buy and door (different glass color) and Huck(thanks huck) has a rear quarter panel I can have it if I go there and cut. But I just need to go road trips.

Few days ago, I seemed to find a good solution. I was kind of happy and less stressful. I talked to one of the 96 SVX owners(one of my fren's roommate) in town, it's in the same town and like THREE miles from my apartment! It's wrecked from a tree!! I can probably buy it for good price but he likes to keep his drivetrain because it was rebuilt not too long ago.

It's a 96 polo green, about 120K. This is one of the first time I see a 96 without Tan Interior color. Interior same color as mine. No sunroof. Most importantly, the whole left side for that SVX is good. Plus, the window color is same as mine. Title is clean.(not important for a part car)

Anyone objects I buy this as a part car to fix my Teal one. I talked to the owner on the phone once and he had no intention to fix it. It looks like it will cost more money to fix than mine. I plan to go look for him tomorrow to confirm everything. If I buy this, I can use all the good parts to make my Teal one fixed and use some of the good parts to make my yellow better.

My 92 teal:

The 96 polo:

It sucked for the owner. Tree fell off and wrecked it. No full coverage. It's been sitting like 6 months thru the winter. It ran good (rebuilt tranny) before that happened.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 07-08-2010, 02:34 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Re: 92 Wrecked SVX vs 96 Wrecked SVX

From where I see it, those cars are equal in terms of damage incurred.

Teal: rear fender, door, front fender (probably hood? Mirror? Taillight?) + paint + ...

Polo: Roof, windshield, front fender, hood.

Now I think most of the guys agree that Polo is a nicer color than teal. Since either car will be involved in cutting fixed metal panels, I would choose fixing the Polo instead. If you cut the roof off yours and weld it to the Polo is the same as you remove the Polo's rear fender and weld it to yours.

I would remove the roof from the teal (with the sunroof?) and install it in the polo, as well as the windshield, hood and fender, even if it will cost me a bit more. Furthermore you will be driving a 96 instead of a 92

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:39 AM
One teal and One yellow

I definitely agree polo is better color than teal.

In term of which one is cheaper to fix, I hope more people can give me some opinions.

Danny,
my 92 teal SVX is LSL
the 96 polo SVX is L, only, I think.
Don't you see no fake wood? No leather wrapped steering wheel and different power steering system and and probably no heated mirror...etc.

I did think about fixing up the 96 polo and tear up my 92 teal. But I can probably buy the whole 96 body for $200 WITHOUT the drive train!! I won't have the tranny in it! He might give me the engine in there. (so I have a spare one lol) But how easy is it to cut the roof? Mine have sunroof...and how are you going to hook up the wire? And sunroof does have the pipes for the water to drain and etc....my understanding!

I do like the polo but interior is wet since the winter because of the damage. The polo has good windows don't see much scratches. Best thing is the title is clean if you fix it up the 96. My 92 will have a rebuilt title when I get it fixed.

92 teal: front fender, door, rear quarter panel, only a side marker taillight damage, no hood damage......I will get a new paint job for whole car..(change color) 4 new tires....done! 71k on motor 36k on tranny - rebuilt title!

96 polo: hood damage, passenger side fender damage, front windshield and a new roof...(how easy to figure out and transfer a roof with sunroof?).....no tranny if I pay for $200....120k on motor...never driven it before so I don't know how it ran.....a new paint job probably... - clean title!

I do like the 96 has manual seat belts and dual airbags but this is not a LSi! So the steering-feel should feel different from the LSL and LSi.

Any more opinions lol!? thanks.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:37 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Why do you want the drivetrain of an L whereas you have an LSL?

What worries me is your rear quarter panel which is a pain to replace. I dunno in my opinion it will never look right and will cost an arm and a leg to replace. I think they will charge you more for it than they do to the roof.

Whereas the roof is an easier replace/fix. The 96 is still an SVX and yes modifications need to be done to the roof area... and you will need to switch it from L to LSL... but will you be repainting it entirely? And you will have a clear title. and you will be driving a 96

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:18 AM
One teal and One yellow

Argh I don't know if you get what I meant. Maybe I was tired to express.

92 LSL is equal to other years' LSi in my opinions.

When it comes to L, it has less options ( I'll lose heated mirrors too and etc ). I also drove SVX L before, the steering-feel is different to me when compare to my LSL and LSi because I think the power steering system is different. It will be very Costly and Hard to get that "feel" back.

The drivetrains are all the same as I think as long as they are all wheel drive. I love my 92 LSL how it drives already (71k motor and 35k tranny) and I knew it. I don't know how about the 96 and how well it ran and I couldn't test drive it. The steering feel will feel different already in the first place since it's not a LSi.

I can probably pay that 96 for the body ONLY for only "$200" without engine and transmission. It's a good deal. Why do I need the drivetrain? If as you said, I fix the 96, so I need the engine and transmission in the car to drive!!! Then if I move the engine and transmission from my 92 to the 96, it's crazy!! It will cost a lot of more money and if you want to sponsor me? I will think about it. Too much work of the time.

I already have two persons in mind to replace my quarter panel. They seem confident. They have done that before. Not a bad price. Not an arm or a leg.

I don't know about fixing the roof and the modification and what switch it from L to LSL. It's still not an entirely LSL.....and don't know what you are talking about. What if it will cost more? What if it doesn't do right, it will leak water when it rains/snows?

A 92 is a 92...a 96 is a 96...but it doesn't mean a 92 is inferior to a 96! What I think if the 96 is fixed,...I like it has a clean title and dual airbags and manual seat belts but it won't have everything my 92 has as well.

I can get the body shell for $200. As you suggest, think about all the work, swapping the engine, transmission and good body part, .....it's a lot of work and money. You want to pay? I can get whole 96 with engine and transmission but it will cost at least another one thousand more, do you want to pay? Then where am I going to keep my excellent engine and transmission from my 92? Can you keep them for me?

Old 07-08-2010, 06:16 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSVX View Post
Argh I don't know if you get what I meant. Maybe I was tired to express.

It will cost a lot of more money and if you want to sponsor me? I will think about it. Too much work of the time.

What if it will cost more? What if it doesn't do right, it will leak water when it rains/snows?

You want to pay? ........... do you want to pay? ........ Can you keep them for me?
lol man cool it down... I was suggesting you do the swaps yourself. Start with the mechanicals/electricals then move on to the roof. And NO it will not leak, and NO I will not sponsor you

(I would find another SVX without body damage and do the mechanical swap tho without all this hassle)

Old 07-08-2010, 12:15 PM
One teal and One yellow

sh** i like your suggestions and arguments when i m not tired .... lol

I will not be able to do the swaps and fix it myself....because I don't have the tools and I don't have enough experiences to do it good...and I don't have the space to do that. So if you want to come here for a long vacation and bring your tools and help me, we may figure out something. Then you can drive one of my SVXi to the Reading, I can drive the other. How about that?

It'll take times to find an SVX with good body shell and do the swaps. For its ages, most of them have minor body damages and the paint won't be as new anymore, and I will be repainting mine...

IF you want to ship me your Silver, I will think about it.

I just want to do it quick, no more lagging...since I don't have times, equipments to do it myself, I also look at the cost, times and space where to keep the remaining parts...no more extra car.

And YES, it might leak if something's not done right, nothing is guarantee. And also YES, it might not be totally perfect after it's fixed because it's been fixed and it's all depend on how close can you get to it...

Old 07-08-2010, 02:44 PM

It seems like you want to do the 92 so that's what you should do and I agree with you not knowing about the 96 not knowing about the feel plus you might uncover hidden problems that might be costly so you should do the 92 and make a 96 later lol cause parts mean more cars and more cars are more fun
Old 07-09-2010, 02:34 PM
One teal and One yellow

thanks red94svx for ur input......for two hundreds buck to get a 96 part car it's a good price...but i have to arrange everything...pay for the towing to the shop and pay somebody to remove the transmission for him...

lol no more svx....two SVXi is too many for me now...i just like to have one in good shape but i still have two....the 96 is most likely to be a part car to fix my 92 teal and make my 92 yellow better...

danny...thanks for ur PM to remind me the 96 is easier to fix agaaaain, the 96 is cheaaaaaper to fix.....yes this is my mess but i didn't make it happen...if there's no somebody wrecked into my 92 teal while sitting at the parking lot...this won't happen...

this is my mess and thanks for helping me to make it more messy...sorry bro...but you are about to start irritating me now....all you are saying is what you believe and your stories there.....you don't see how is my intention to get my car fixed....once a while...say the 96 is cheaper to fix...then again the 96 is easier and cheaper to fix....or i should find a good body one to swap my engine and transmission from the 92....thank you...i really appreicate....

at the beginning...i just ask if somebody objects if i buy this 96 to be my part car for a good price and i don't have to travel everywhere to get the parts for my 92 teal...that's all. thank you tho for giving me so many sugggggestions and arguments.....and mess.

the bottom line is you don't look at this matter from "my side".....overall cost, time, which one has more pros or cons to get it done......you are just suggesting about what you think and then argue......so have you seen these two cars in person??????? you are so great can tell everything from the pictures.....even a small ding!!! yeah!!! sorry bro, no offense!

so which one is cheaper/easier or better...will let my bodyman make the decision....i m the one to spend the money......it's tired to drag so long and you don't know what probs i got from my landlord and how many times i have to tow it to different places.....should not buy it back and let the insurance company have it so i don't have to deal with this lol.......

take it easy peace..

Old 07-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSVX View Post
the bottom line is you don't look at this matter from "my side".....overall cost, time, which one has more pros or cons to get it done......you are just suggesting about what you think and then argue......so have you seen these two cars in person??????? you are so great can tell everything from the pictures.....even a small ding!!! yeah!!! sorry bro, no offense!
You have serious mental issues... you were much friendlier in the past.
Anyways I am off your way for good...

Old 07-11-2010, 02:09 AM

Registered SVX

Sorry to butt in on this thread with a semi-irrelevant question... but does anyone know what the actual difference is with the "steering feel"? I have a 96 polo that is an L and you guys have me curious now.
1992 Ebony SVX LS-L - 193k (parts)
Old 07-11-2010, 02:29 AM

I probably wouldn't buy that 96. Seems like such a hassle if your paying for everything. Yes $200 bucks would be an ok deal without the drivetrain. However you say you are going to have to pay someone to remove the trans for him. Thats not a good deal. I would suggest keep looking and check salvage yards. There are SVX around you may be able to get the fenders you need for dirt cheap. Heck people on the forum may volunteer to stop at a salvage yard they know has one and get parts for you. I got a pretty good deal on my second car without drivetrain (did get rear diff though) for $400. I rented a uhaul trailer and picked it up. I know you want your car back and to get it done quick. A little extra time and patience will save you money and may even get you more to work with. If he drops his own trans and pulls his own engine I say go ahead get it for 200.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:24 PM

Registered SVX

the steering feel is quite different between the two types if you ask me. Mainly i can feel it at lower speeds, the speed sensitive is very easy to turn at low speeds while the normal power steering takes a bit more effort.

as for the cars, if anything, fix your 92 rather than the 96. Especially if it`s been sitting like that since it will need the entire interior swapped plus the body parts and with roof replacement, it will be extremely hard to get everything cleanly put back where it goes. If you are having to pay for the removal of the drivetrain, you are much better off looking elsewhere since 200 bucks plus removal will cost the same as you can find a completel parts car with body damage and full drivetrail included.

sorry, i am typing this all from my phone so it is hard to deal with proper punctuation, etc.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:34 AM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
You have serious mental issues... you were much friendlier in the past.
Anyways I am off your way for good...

Alright, yo bro, I'm back but I'm not trying to pick a fight from you.

Listen, so just stay out of this thread for good, thank you!!!

1) Thank you for partially/completely changing/ruining the whole purpose of this thread!!

2) I'm always trying to be friendly and nice. Among all of my coworkers, I'm one of the guys who has the best temper. So unless someone pissed me off something over and over again, I won't be as friendly as usual...

3) Yo bro, if you are mentally that slow(or retarded) or you can't turn your brain quickly enough to understand what I said. I'm sorry but I can't help you or maybe you're born like that. Don't say others have any mental issues if you can't figure out what others say first. If you would like to have a mental health check, let's go and see if you are alright. I will pay for my own but I ain't gonna paying for yours.

you are so great can tell everything from the pictures.....even a small ding!!! yeah!!! sorry bro, no offense!
>>> this is coming from this thread:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54974

I was already angry and trying to be a little sarcastic for you. I was talking about Mike's Volvo picture. Where is the ding? Please draw a circle and show it on that thread!! Most of the times, people show their car pictures on the thread, you will usually point out the flaw first and then "" , a lot of times, so I was kinda get ticked off from that already....plus you keep persuading me that the 96 is cheaper/easier/better to fix and yeah it's for my own good???

4) Do not be freaking quote my post from broken pieces sentences to make what I say is like #$@%#. If you want to quote something, quote something in a complete sentence. Do not change the meaning of what people trying to express.

5) Do not send me anymore PM to tell me the 96 polo is easy, cheaper to fix. Do not say that's for my own good or what. Don't need to tell me what kind of project you're having or anything not related. I'm not interested since I'm already pissed off. I'm very busy and don't be always sitting in front of the computers and type. Remember you sent me the HID pm and I only read that after 3 months.

The bottom line why I'm getting pissed off is you kept telling me the 96 polo is easy and better to fix over and over, and over again. Did you answer me? My question. Have you seen these two cars in person? Have you driven any one of them? How can you be so sure?

So I'm done. I am not getting angry or anything now but I will get a little pissed off if I think of this again. Ridiculous. Let me say something here, I have shown the pictures and to ask some of my friends(about 10 people) including two of the mechanics are probably going to work on my car. All of them suggest I should stay with my 92 from various reasons....only one thought the damage is probably equal....then he said...wait, maybe is better off to fix my 92. (so you are the best and you are the most unique one and hell yeah you know everything.....yeah!! ) ( sarcastic for fun )

So I will still be friend with anyone if they want to talk. No hard feelings here. I just like to get it out and let it over. Peace.

PS: English is not my mother language. English is like my third/fourth language. Please excuse me if there's any probs or typos.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:04 AM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXalter View Post
Sorry to butt in on this thread with a semi-irrelevant question... but does anyone know what the actual difference is with the "steering feel"? I have a 96 polo that is an L and you guys have me curious now.
finally...has someone point out one of the main things I like about my 92 teal....the 'feel' and the 'steering feel'....

i spent about eight months to get my first 92 teal.....i test drove it once....then i totally test drove about 5 SVXi....then i test drove my 92 teal second time and bought it.......so I do care about the 'feel' lol

for the LSL / LSi models, i personally like that kinda feel more...it feels more like a luxurious and touring car...lol it does give me a little more pleasure when making tight turns (with its passive 4WS) or going over the pot holes....or at high speed driving.... a little more feedback i think.....when at slow speed, it feels lighter...easy for you to park and turn...when at faster or much higher speed...it feels heavier/heavy....it makes you feel safer on highway and keep your wheel straight if you hit anything on the road...

for the LE or L or FWD ...., the steering feel is just plain to me....it doesn't feel any change of the weight........maybe more straightforward....sporty? or more plain fun...

for my SVX...i like the other feel.....for other car, i may like other feel......my Kia has the regular power steering pump....it's kinda pure fun though with its suspension setup depending on the speed......if you have different tires, it may change the feel a little bit if you can feel it....

PS: i do like your 96 polo green color more than my teal color....it's a more cheerful color.....looks good with either blue tint windows or brown tint windows in my opinions....