SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2010, 01:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to trueblue
Registered SVX
FWD vs AWD

Has any one driven both an AWD and a FWD SVX? Does it make a difference in the handling and feel of the car in normal driving? I am sure AWD is more sure footed around curves and spirted driving.
If I use a JDM tranny to replace my slipping one it will be FWD only because of the different gear ratio used in Japan.

Any info would be apreciated.

The farther backward you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see. -Winston Churchill

My baby: 94 lsi
My fast baby: 2001 Suzuki Marauder
My new baby: 2010 Subaru Outback
Old 04-12-2010, 01:36 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: FWD vs AWD

Why would you use a JDM one, I thought the JDM trannys wouldn't work with a US TCU?
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 04-12-2010, 02:40 PM

Registered SVX

Do the repair the correct way. You can find 4.44 geared transmissions with a rear end with under 100k for about $500 and some places may be willing to ship it freight. I'd even be able help you out with finding one since it seems there are not many Subies in the south. Using the JDM transmission is possible but why?
Old 04-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Phil & Belha

I strongly suggect that you don't buy a JDM trans. It's not a straightforward swap even for an expert. You have to replace more than just the trans to make it work properly.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 04-12-2010, 03:08 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
If I use a JDM tranny to replace my slipping one it will be FWD only because of the different gear ratio used in Japan.
What are you saying here? Are you thinking of taking an AWD transmission and simply not connecting the driveshaft in order to not have to buy a matching rear end? Because if that's your thought process it's going to end in abysmal failure.

Was there ever a FWD JDM SVX?

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 04-12-2010, 03:12 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Was there ever a FWD JDM SVX?
There was never a FWD SVX anywhere other than here in the US.
Just flat out, don't buy the JDM trans. It is full of fail unless you want to do all of the proper work which is going to be way more expensive in the long run.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:57 AM

Registered SVX
Question Re: FWD vs AWD

Wow I have read all the comments and it seems like JDM will be a big problem.

Since I am interested in an automatic I thought this would be the cheapest way to get back on the road.
I did ask the supplier on EBAY if it was a direct swap. He answered me yes it is a direct swap and I can use my usdm tcu. I also asked if he could supply a matching rear end, he did not answer that question, so I guess he can not.

My thinking was, if the car handles pretty much the same I would use it as a FWD unless I needed AWD in the snow or mud. I could then plug in the AWD fuse and with the lack of traction on mud or snow the different gear ratio would not matter. Is my thinking flawed?

Further more I did not know I could get a 4.44 or any tranny that cheap. The JDM is $400.00 plus shipping. Maybe $550.00 delivered to me.

I welcome a source here in the Mid South (Memphis Area) to get a replacement tranny. Can you help me find one! I have not found a SVX at any of the wrecking yards I have been to in the area.

The farther backward you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see. -Winston Churchill

Old 04-13-2010, 01:01 AM

Registered SVX

The suppliers of the JDM transmissions truly do not know how everything functions and are honestly just trying to sell the stuff that they can get for super cheap to unsuspecting buyers. It is possible to swap the front differential onto the JDM transmission to retain the same gear ratio between front and rear diffs but you still run into the large problem of the TCU. The US TCU will not function at all with the JDM transmission and you will have nothing but problems and as I said before, it will cost you a lot more in the longrun
Old 04-13-2010, 01:36 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Why you guys find it too hard to repair slipping trannies?

4 years ago mine started slipping in 2nd. I removed it from the car, put it on the garage floor, next to it a looooong piece of cloth and started tearing it down and the progress was organized on that piece of cloth until I reached the bottom.

Went to a new japanese parts shop (yeah we do have generic parts shops), bought the discs (3$/ea. if I still remember correctly, got the 2nd and 3rd since the rest were practically brand new), a new brake band (all from the 94 Nissan Pathfinder) and put it back again. Difficulty was 5/10.. costed me around $80 in parts.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:13 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post

4 years ago mine started slipping in 2nd. I removed it from the car, put it on the garage floor, next to it a looooong piece of cloth and started tearing it down and the progress was organized on that piece of cloth until I reached the bottom.

Went to a new japanese parts shop (yeah we do have generic parts shops), bought the discs (3$/ea. if I still remember correctly, got the 2nd and 3rd since the rest were practically brand new), a new brake band (all from the 94 Nissan Pathfinder) and put it back again. Difficulty was 5/10.. costed me around $80 in parts.
Danny, parts are that cheap there?!! I may have to have you ship me some stuff
Old 04-13-2010, 03:14 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Yeah why not Nate.

Go online, let us talk...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:05 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Wow I have read all the comments and it seems like JDM will be a big problem.

Since I am interested in an automatic I thought this would be the cheapest way to get back on the road.
I did ask the supplier on EBAY if it was a direct swap. He answered me yes it is a direct swap and I can use my usdm tcu. I also asked if he could supply a matching rear end, he did not answer that question, so I guess he can not.

My thinking was, if the car handles pretty much the same I would use it as a FWD unless I needed AWD in the snow or mud. I could then plug in the AWD fuse and with the lack of traction on mud or snow the different gear ratio would not matter. Is my thinking flawed?

Further more I did not know I could get a 4.44 or any tranny that cheap. The JDM is $400.00 plus shipping. Maybe $550.00 delivered to me.

I welcome a source here in the Mid South (Memphis Area) to get a replacement tranny. Can you help me find one! I have not found a SVX at any of the wrecking yards I have been to in the area.
My understanding of the jdm transmission is its rear biased, 36/64 are the numbers I read so if you did put that in and even with the fuse, which on that transmission actually locks it 50/50 I also read you will not be able to run it as you plan. I also have read you can get the rear diff gears out of several outbacks you may have to use your vlsd to keep the rear limited slip though.
Tom has his working with the us tcu though he did have to put a switch on the solenoid c wire to keep it from always running in 50/50
I think all the work done would make it worth it but finding the jdm tcu to make things work correctly would be the biggest problem and if your not interested in a rear biased awd then just find one of the transmissions that will work from other subarus.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post

This gives guys like me something to consider, I have torn down manual trannys just to see whats inside, never really having to reassemble, but never an auto, should the day come for a fix I may have to give it a go......G
94legacywagon"whinny"
84Brat"huey"
92svx"samantha".pearl
92svx"sabastian"4.44 silver
92svx"sabrina".ebony
05legacy gt limited "Moon" blue.
06 Subaru legacy gt limited.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:26 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
My understanding of the jdm transmission is its rear biased, 36/64 are the numbers I read so if you did put that in and even with the fuse, which on that transmission actually locks it 50/50 I also read you will not be able to run it as you plan. I also have read you can get the rear diff gears out of several outbacks you may have to use your vlsd to keep the rear limited slip though.
Tom has his working with the us tcu though he did have to put a switch on the solenoid c wire to keep it from always running in 50/50
I think all the work done would make it worth it but finding the jdm tcu to make things work correctly would be the biggest problem and if your not interested in a rear biased awd then just find one of the transmissions that will work from other subarus.
Thanks for your reply. That is the type of solid infomation that I needed. It looks like 4.44 here I come.

Now I am curious about handling between a FWD and a AWD SVX, can anyone answer that question.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. That is the type of solid infomation that I needed. It looks like 4.44 here I come.

Now I am curious about handling between a FWD and a AWD SVX, can anyone answer that question.
I think 4.444 is a great choice. It will give you a better accelerating car and the cost is not really high for such an improvement. Plus it is reliable long term if purchased correctly and installed correctly.

Not having driven either a USA AWD or 2WD car I can't really answer your question, but I can make observations based on many years of reading posts from members.

The SVX was fitted with 3 types of transmission:
  • Active Torque Split AWD {USA} Known as the ACT-4. Final Drive 3.545. Variable Torque Split Front to Rear is 90-10 to 50-50 by electronic control. Because rear drive is electrically connected inserting the designated fuse can completely deactivate the rear drive, effectively turning the drive-train to FWD. [Only recommended for short periods, maintenance etc]
  • FWD 4EAT {USA} Final Drive [?] 3.545 {I think?} Very similar gearbox to ACT-4 above without a rear power take off. Therefore lighter and more efficient without the energy sapping rear drive powertrain components in place.
  • VTD-AWD { Japan, Australia, NZ, UK, some Europe countries} Final Drive 3.700. Full time active AWD gearbox with centre differential similar to manual gearbox. Front to Rear Torque Split as determined by gearing is normally 36-64, varying electronically to 50-50. Installing the designated fuse on this model locks the differential to 50-50, in which mode it is not recommended to drive on tarmac because differentials are LOCKED.

Within these three main variants there are other local market differences. Most of these differences are determined by how the gearboxes are set up and controlled by the Transmission Control Unit, or TCU for short. Although Japan and UK both have the VTD type gearbox there are physical differences and TCU differences, so even among these replacing a gearbox is not a simple matter of plug and play [Been there, bought the teeshirt ]

Your USA type ACT-4 is a very advanced gearbox and the SVX fitted with this gearbox can handle snow and low traction conditions when dedicated 4x4s have spun themselves off the road.

From what I've noticed from FWD owners on the Network over the years these cars are lighter and faster than the AWD SVX. Before people started to upgrade their engines a FWD model SVX was the fastest quarter mile car on here for a long long time.

I have owned and driven both the Japanese VTD cars and the UK VTD cars and my preference is for the Japanese SVXes because the transmission on those cars can be permanently locked to the more sporty Power mode. UK cars are in my opinion absolute slugs, the transmission was programmed for economy in the early 90s where there were fuel shortages. Handling wise both are good enough, although a WRX is much more sporty. Under provocation such as rapid direction changes the rear end rises and rolls, which makes the handling ultimately tail heavy and sloppy. Your USA cars will drive more or less the same.

I'm just wondering if maybe a FWD model SVX with a Bontager 22mm rear antisway bar might just be the ultimate SVX autocross vehicle?

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl