Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Wanted or For Sale > SVX's and SVX Parts Wanted > SVX Parts Wanted
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2010, 02:45 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX
WTB: Driveshaft in SoCal

I was just quoted $350 for a used '94 driveshaft by my mechanic. Turns out that was the cause for my car vibrating at 20-30 mph, which was my suspicion all along, but that price seems a bit off mark. So, is there anybody who could help me out. I'd love to get my car back by this weekend, so I'm hoping to find this thing quick and local so I can get to the bottom of this and move on.

Thanks,
-Kit W.
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:10 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX
Re: WTB: Driveshaft in SoCal

Well, I found one for $200 at World Auto Parts in Glendale (specializes in Subarus FYI). Still pricy, but a far cry from what I was originally told. Call off the hunt.
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Old 02-25-2010, 03:26 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Dub View Post
Well, I found one for $200 at World Auto Parts in Glendale (specializes in Subarus FYI). Still pricy, but a far cry from what I was originally told. Call off the hunt.
The hunt may be back on
I called to see what SVX stuff was available, as the wrecker isn't far from me. The guy I spoke with asked if I had your number, I said, no. Better call him back to see what's up?
http://www.ClassicSoftTrim.com http://ToyoTires.com/tire/pattern/versado-lx Gillman Subaru of Houston
"QuickChange" http://www.TransGo.com/ http://www.PlanetSVX.com Bontrager Works,

'92 Subaru SVX LS-L Claret ORIGINAL OWNER
'92 LS-L Pearl~ '92 LS Pearl~ '92 LS-L Teal~ '92 LS-L Silver~ '95 LSi Polo~
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Pearl~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54143
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Ebony~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54117
Old 02-25-2010, 04:32 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

Ha! My phone rang just as I was reading your post. Looks like it'll be the $350 part from Palmdale.

My mechanic was impressed by how fast I'd found a cheaper alternative. I wish it'd actually existed. All the scrapyard SVXs are over 350 miles away, and nobody local is parting out as far as I can tell. I'll keep telling myself that that's one car payment worth of parts. Someday this baby will be all mine.

Last edited by K_Dub; 02-25-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:45 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Wow, looks like i might need to reconsider the $50 I was gonna sell one to someone for
Old 02-25-2010, 06:19 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Wow, looks like i might need to reconsider the $50 I was gonna sell one to someone for
Don't forget supply and demand. I found 3 or 4 for sale on the forum here cheap, but all located east of the Mississippi. I'm sure that whoever's selling me mine knows that they're my only option around and priced accordingly. Shipping one of these bad boys would most likely cost the difference plus time, so I don't really have any other options. If you've got the only driveshaft within 250 miles and somebody's hard up, you could jack up your price, but if not you'll just end up with an expensive chunk of steel that nobody else wants.

I've just gotta find a parts car, and start my collection.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:38 PM

Registered SVX

To be honest, shipping via Post office would only run about $30-40
Old 02-25-2010, 07:07 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

Quote:
To be honest, shipping via Post office would only run about $30-40
But to leave my car at the shop over the weekend, and keep my rental would bring my total right back up where it is. I've learned some important lessons here:

Always diagnose problems myself
Have required parts ready if a shop is needed
Don't drop off the car mid week if you need it back by Friday night
Never rent a Corolla (makes you miss the SVX even more)

Old 02-25-2010, 07:13 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Dub View Post
But to leave my car at the shop over the weekend, and keep my rental would bring my total right back up where it is. I've learned some important lessons here:

Always diagnose problems myself
Have required parts ready if a shop is needed
Don't drop off the car mid week if you need it back by Friday night
Never rent a Corolla (makes you miss the SVX even more)
Yes, i would have to consider myself lucky in that I am able to diagnose on my own, and if I need to do something major, I have access to my friend's dad's shop on the weekend so long as the car is off the lift and out of the shop by 8a.m. Monday morning

Tell me about the rental. When mine was in the body shop from my friend side swiping it while parked, I had a Kia Rio rental. Let's just say I had my fun http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php...&id=1118362726
Old 02-25-2010, 08:24 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

Quote:
Yes, i would have to consider myself lucky in that I am able to diagnose on my own, and if I need to do something major, I have access to my friend's dad's shop on the weekend so long as the car is off the lift and out of the shop by 8a.m. Monday morning

Tell me about the rental. When mine was in the body shop from my friend side swiping it while parked, I had a Kia Rio rental. Let's just say I had my fun http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php...&id=1118362726
Well, I've been working out of my friend's garage which has all air tools and lots more on the bench (no lift however). It's pretty well equipped, but we're both noobs at car repair so we're learning as we go and neither of us wanted to be under the car while it was running to try to diagnose the vibration.

As for the rental, here's my review of the Toyota Crapola:
It really is shocking to see what $16,000 will buy you at a dealership, and a constant reminder that the SVX is worth every penny I spend on it. If any of you are thinking that upkeep on an SVX is too expensive, I encourage you to go rent a Corolla and contemplate your options.

I just can't wait to get my car back, and given my alternative transportation, I'd have paid twice as much if it meant not driving the Toyota for a week.

Last edited by K_Dub; 02-25-2010 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Removed Ranting
Old 02-25-2010, 09:24 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

I could had a whole car for less than I just spent for bearings and a used driveshaft?

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53249

ah, California

Old 02-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

Ok, now it's getting frustrating. They got the $350 driveshaft (supposedly from a '94) and they said it was too short. So they put my old one back on and handed me the keys, but now the vibration is constant and much worse than before. They said that it's a result of unbolting it and putting it back on that made it even more out of balance. I got charged $260 for one wheel bearing and now my car is almost un-drivable.

I'll be hitting up one of the part out threads when I get home to have one shipped (unless Nate wants to help me out), but I want to be sure it'll work this time. Has anybody personally confirmed that the part is interchangable on all years, or is neither of the driveshafts I've been sold in the last day really from an SVX?

P.S.
I was looking at Seibon's website today. Are there 19 other people on here curious about a carbon fiber driveshaft group buy?

Last edited by K_Dub; 02-26-2010 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Stupid iPhone typing
Old 02-26-2010, 09:09 PM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

I bet it wasn't from an SVX and if it was too short it was from a 5 speed car as they are approx. 2 inches shorter. I have the front half of a 2 piece one (automatic) if you are interested I would ship it to you. It has the front u joint and the carrier bearing so that could eliminate 2 out of 3 places for issues. Let me know if I can help.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

Bumpy bump.

Really hoping that somebody here can beat $603 from the dealership. Looking for the entire assembly from trans to diff. West of the Mississippi preferred.

Help me!

Old 03-01-2010, 08:12 PM

Registered SVX

I'll send you mine, can be there Thursday if I ship priority tomorrow morning... PMing you now

Last edited by 1986nate; 03-01-2010 at 08:32 PM.