Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-24-2010, 09:42 PM

Fuel Pump Wiring Question?

This is not an SVX-specific question, but is related because the SVX has a similar fuel pump arrangement, as do most cars these days. I recently replaced the in-tank fuel pump on a Nissan with an aftermarket unit and noticed that the electrical screw terminals on the pump itself aren't well insulated-- the negative isn't covered at all- it's just bare in the tank, and the positive terminal has a loose rubber boot over it, but I know I've seen some pumps where the positive terminal is bare too. Isn't this hazardous? What are the chances of the terminals sparking and causing an explosion? I know a submerged pump isn't much of a fire/explosion risk, but the pump's not submerged all the time as the tank empties. Anyone have any insights? Should I go back and insulate the terminals somehow?

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner
Old 01-24-2010, 11:03 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Fuel Pump Wiring Question?

Chance is nil, 12V takes physical contact between lead and ground to spark, and it should immediately blow the fuse in that circuit. Given the fact that fuel tanks are supposed to be airtight, theres very little chance there would be enough fuel vapors present to cause a small puff, let alone an explosion.

Wouldnt worry about it.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:52 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

you can get an arc if the terminals are loose. The motor is simply resistance to ground, so if the positive terminal is loose, and makes a brief contact when powered, it coulf potentially spark... Thats why you have to make perfectly sure they are tight and they will not back out... Other than that... its relatively fool proof

Tom
Old 01-25-2010, 08:59 AM

Registered SVX

I agree. If properly installed there is nothing to worry about. The only time I have seen anything put in place in a fuel cell to stop arc is on an airplane. And those tanks are much larger (the entire wing span in essentially a fuel tank).

However, I am always happier to over engineer things, or over build them. So for peace of mind, if the unit is still out of the tank, you could always insulate the ends. But like Tom said, make sure you torque the terminals properly.