Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-10-2009, 06:34 AM

I am getting SS headers made!

I am getting into the early stages of finally putting some $$ and love into my SVX.

I am talking to a company that has said they will definitely be able to reproduce for me a set of 304 Stainless Steel headers based on the stock manifold design. So it will be able to fit up to stock exhausts and anything already designed or set up for aftermarket (not alot of options out there).

I should be sending them my stock manifolds early next week to begin the fabrication and hope to have a finalized price soon.

My only real suggestions to them were #1 I don't plan to mount the existing heat shielding on the headers so I do not need those mounting tabs reproduced 2# because of the location of the headers I am a little concerned about the mounting flange getting damaged due to road debris or if I hit a speed bump or even heat warpage so I am looking at going from a 3/8 flange to a 5/8 flange. I hope the price will be good so others will consider it but if not then I don't mind have one of a kind headers.

EDIT : I spoke with them and they could go to 1/2" but they feel the 3/8" would still be plenty strong enough so I decided to go with 3/8".

Initial Price Quote so far is $750 I have seen SS kits for other cars that aren't even welded go for that much or more so while it is a bit more than I had hoped I am still going through with it.

I am excited to finally be starting this whole process 4.44 set up was just ordered too! I have plenty of parts and things to order from both ECU tune and AWD guys in NJ but still working my parts lists for now.

Last edited by sowise; 09-10-2009 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:36 AM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX
Re: I am getting SS headers made!

WOW! you have big plans...take lots of pics!
Old 09-10-2009, 05:01 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Headers bolted to a stock exhaust will net little to no gains. not to mention the primaries will be less than 8" long

I like the enthusiasm but if you are going to spend that kind of money on a set of headers, make it worth your while and do an entire system

Tom
Old 09-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

As Tom said, short headers will not work, you will gain nothing out of them. It is not so wise to put that much money for no gains, when you can save/pay a little bit more and get a Stebro for your car.

I used to see one advertised on Ebay for $1100 OBO? I guess...

EDIT: Either I have Parkinsons or THIS seller is going nuts. I can swear that I saw this same exhaust advertised for something between $1100~$1200 a while ago...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.

Last edited by SilverSpear; 09-10-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
EDIT: Either I have Parkinsons or THIS seller is going nuts. I can swear that I saw this same exhaust advertised for something between $1100~$1200 a while ago...
Yeah the video on his listing page is a little overly dramatic, and you can barely hear any exhaust note. If im not mistaken, the muffler advertised has a single inlet.... wouldnt a true dual system be better anyways?

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:26 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX

That is the Stebro muffler and it is a nice one with a good tone--not too loud but good. However, even though I have one or two , they are definitely not worth that much. The complete system from the cat back cost me $1500 the last time and the first time only $1100, but the first time was 10 years ago.

It is definitely a single entry muffler for a bolt on cat back system for the SVX. Or you can bolt the muffler directly to the OEM tailpipe.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 09-10-2009, 07:25 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
You mean Alzheimer's? haha
1992 Ebony SVX LS-L - 193k (parts)
Old 09-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

I do not understand at all why you would pay 1500 dollars for exhaust. You can get the best muffler money can buy for like 150 bucks, take it to your local exhaust shop and they can do your whole thing custom made for a fourth of that price, can they not?
Old 09-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

with spit welds and crush bends...

An exhaust system should be a work of art for every piece. The Stebro is a nice muffler and sounds excellent. The welds are all hand tigged and it is full stainless...

Tom
Old 09-10-2009, 08:20 PM

Registered SVX

http://svx-motorsport-accessories.st...vxheaders.html
Old 09-10-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
An exhaust system should be a work of art for every piece.
Seems like a waste for something that is rarely seen.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
Seems like a waste for something that is rarely seen.
Im pretty sure he meant it should be made with care and precision, a functional work of art.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Im pretty sure he meant it should be made with care and precision, a functional work of art.
For most cars, mandrel bent stainless exhaust that is tig welded and all of that is just overkill and a waste. Mig welded aluminized steel tubing and regular muffler shop bends is more than adequate for most cars.

Though, if you are chasing every 1/10 horsepower or building a rarely driven show car that will be on display with the underside visible, then go nuts and spend a couple thousand on an exhaust.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:09 AM

Wow, I don't really know what to say I didn't expect so many responses and I am a little surprised at how negative they sound.

From a performance aspect... I am not looking or promising anyone any kind of HP gains over say the difference between our existing manifolds ported and polished vs stock (basically just improved quality and style). Maybe it will be a consolation for some if I say I just wanted to drop some weight and go for a cleaner look. Personally I don’t prefer crush bends and MIG welds unless I am planning to go cheap yet functional. As long as it does not do worse than the stock exhaust manifolds then I don’t believe anyone should have much issue with this.

My initial point is that these CAN bolt to a stock exhaust and for a time I may have it like that until I feel the need to purchase the rest of an exhaust set up but this does not force me to do any immediate changes to the existing set up. As well as still allowing me the option of going single or dual exhaust for future set ups.

As for my name being “sowise” that is my initials and last name and not necessarily an ego thing. Plus, I have considered going to the Stebro set up but for that money I can do other things that need more immediate attention. Again I am not looking for making HP records since I prefer NA set up and builds and prefer to run with an automatic. However I can’t see the sense in connecting a Stebro to rusted stock manifolds either. I also do not track race and I don’t Auto cross. I want a comfortable, tasteful, unique, and sporty daily driver that you can tell I took the time and effort to pay attention to it from every angle. I do not do the trailer queen show set ups. Even if it was show quality I would still drive it.

I bet that if I was done with doing all I wanted to on my car and posted descriptions and pictures I would have some of the group here saying wow that is a beautiful set up and asking what I did here and there, the other half saying Pfft! what a waste, then proceed to tell me what I should have done or spent my money on. The typical It looks nice BUT… comments. At the very least I can say I am contributing to bring something new and/or different to the table.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:22 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Look, sorry if you got offended by the way I used your Nickname, well... no one knew it symbolises your initials.

Concerning the headers here is a summary:
Negatives:
1- No power gains
2- No one will see, not apparent
3- $750 wasted!
4- No one will follow your steps. If you want to make something that everybody can use, aim towards long equal length headers (check OT's locker)

Positives:
1- Something no one has done before.

I say spending that much money over something which has too many negatives is a waste. With $750 I would invest in a nice Audio setup... Just my 0.2QR (local currency )

Anyways, it is your money...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.