Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-30-2008, 02:52 PM
Network Design Administrator

Re: Thinking of window tint? Think twice..

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post

The Japanese have a strange approach to tinting. They only allow very light tints on the front windows, the ones the driver uses to see around, and that make sense.

At the same time they seem to like very dark tints on the back windows. My everyday car has this, click on my Vantastic link.

I didn't think I'd like it when I bought it, but I have come around. It keeps the rear cool, and "hides" luggage or equipment from easy view. Also as the rear screen glass is tinted, it cuts down a lot of glare at night from cars behind. Yes, I like it a lot.

It's not film, though, it is actually darkened glass. The Japanese call it "privacy" glass I think.

Joe
Most SUVs / Minivans in the US come this way stock.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:56 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX View Post
Most SUVs / Minivans in the US come this way stock.
Yeah, I know my aunt's Mitsubishi came this way and I'm totally okay with it but the canopy design restricts me plenty with that idea..
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 12-30-2008, 02:58 PM

To me, when SVX windows are tinted, you dont see the cockpit window design which makes the SVX unique.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:17 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Well, yes.....

But you would certainly see it very well if you only tinted the fixed glass, and left the moving glass clear.

White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-30-2008, 04:08 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Is there such a thing as "gradient" tint? (where the film starts out darker at the top and gradually gets lighter towards the bottom)

I wanted to try that if it was available. It would block the hot/bright sun that comes in the upper side window (which always seemed to be behind where the visor could reach ) yet not overly darken further down, where you'd look to see other traffic and surroundings.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:11 PM

Send a message via MSN to IceBlade

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXdc View Post
Is there such a thing as "gradient" tint? (where the film starts out darker at the top and gradually gets lighter towards the bottom)

I wanted to try that if it was available. It would block the hot/bright sun that comes in the upper side window (which always seemed to be behind where the visor could reach ) yet not overly darken further down, where you'd look to see other traffic and surroundings.
A lot of cars I've been in have this as a strip on the upper part of the windshield. I'm sure they must manufacture something similiar in bigger portions.

Edit:

Here is a page on Canadian tinting. Keep in mind we measure it the opposite way of the US. We go by how much light will be let through, so 70% means 70% of light is let through the tint.

http://www.courage.ca/services/autotintlaws.htm

Also, this page doesn't say it but some provinces allow 15 cm's of tint at the top of the windshield. Whatever the case, I suggest anyone who's looking to add tint to pay a visit to their official provincial automobile law website and find out 100%.

Last edited by IceBlade; 12-30-2008 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:13 PM
do da stanky leggggg!

Send a message via AIM to apocalixto

ya i am in texas...i don't know if you all know how hot it is down here...but i have limo all the way around...i get burned easily too.
i have not gotten pulled over yet...but hopefully i don't

MB Quart components and 6x9s, Autotek "Mean Machine" Amplifier, Pioneer D3 Touch Screen Nav/DVD/CD/iPod, 4 10" PowerBass 2XL Subs, Powerbass XA-3000D Monoblock Amp
Flowmaster exhaust, MP 6000K HID w/ clear lenses and '97 style grille, Carbon Fiber Hood w/ scoop (recently painted), 17" Sport Max rims (gunmetal w/ chrome lip), Ground Control Coilovers, Motorsport Crank Pulley, and Green Filter, ARP head studs, GroupN Engine mounts
4.44 AWD swap w/ Quick Change
Old 12-30-2008, 11:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Turbone Send a message via AIM to Turbone Send a message via Yahoo to Turbone Send a message via Skype™ to Turbone
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeman90 View Post
you know what I hate about tint...people can't see you flip them off when they do stupid stuff.
Thats what Hella Supertones are for

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilsvx View Post
my civic has all windows tint, except the back and never had any problem, i live in pa. the darkest here is 35% so my windows have 35% tint. its accordin where u live. it also protect the interior of the car. if you are planning to tint like freakin 5% or around there then u are askin for a ticket.
Please, this isnt a place for cell phone txt

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxpensive View Post
To me, when SVX windows are tinted, you dont see the cockpit window design which makes the SVX unique.
I like the total blackout look

And you can still see the line of the window.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:29 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalixto View Post
ya i am in texas...i don't know if you all know how hot it is down here...but i have limo all the way around...i get burned easily too.
i have not gotten pulled over yet...but hopefully i don't
Yeah I was going to pm you about your tint but I just assumed that it was at the legal limit. Guess the cops do too. 25% is really dark compared to 35%.. I always knew I liked Texas better than around here..

Used to live in Kerrville, bout an hour south of San Antonio..
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 12-31-2008, 07:37 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX

Texas is much the same as Arizona where I lived for two years. If you did not have your windows tinted (and more than 35%, as is required here in VA), you could not stand the bright sun, and if the car was parked outside, the interior is gone in a few years. Cops did not press the issue at all, because EVERYBODY tinted heavily ......

I like tint, although I have not done either of my SVXi yet. I would lean toward only the upper / fixed glas and the rear window.........

Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 12-31-2008, 07:58 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Harry, explain the term "bright sun" please.

I live in Ireland, we don't know what that is.

However, we have whole industries grown up around the need to prevent "water ingress". If the interior of a car goes here, it will be from damp and mould.

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-31-2008, 08:28 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Harry, explain the term "bright sun" please.

I live in Ireland, we don't know what that is.

However, we have whole industries grown up around the need to prevent "water ingress". If the interior of a car goes here, it will be from damp and mould.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't envy your environment at all! Normally, that kind of weather is very depressing, ...but you seem SO happy

Bright sun in Arizona is when you can tell the native residents by how dried up and leather-like their face is . Seriously, the sun is very tough on EVERYTHING!! But as the old saying there goes, "It's a "dry" heat!! Humidity runs, on average, in the single digits (7%). Best drink plenty of water, cause you don't sweat - it evaporates as soon as you do ....... and you don't know it....
But, it a great place to visit
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 12-31-2008, 08:40 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsvx View Post
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't envy your environment at all! Normally, that kind of weather is very depressing, ...but you seem SO happy

Bright sun in Arizona is when you can tell the native residents by how dried up and leather-like their face is . Seriously, the sun is very tough on EVERYTHING!! But as the old saying there goes, "It's a "dry" heat!! Humidity runs, on average, in the single digits (7%). Best drink plenty of water, cause you don't sweat - it evaporates as soon as you do ....... and you don't know it....
But, it a great place to visit
Harry
Harry, I like the idea of dry heat. It might be a good place to buy non-rusty cars from.

Here in Ireland, we have hundreds of ways to describe how wet the weather might be.

If an Irishman greets you with the term "Soft day, isn't it?", to an outsider that will mean a pissing wet day.

But if he says "Very wet out" that means anything you drop from your hand will be washed down the street before you turn around to look for it.

And if he says "You wouldn't put a dog out in that", that's your cue to stay in the pub. All day.

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-31-2008, 09:16 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBlade View Post
Here is a page on Canadian tinting. Keep in mind we measure it the opposite way of the US. We go by how much light will be let through, so 70% means 70% of light is let through the tint.
Thats how it is in the US as well
Old 12-31-2008, 09:22 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Thats how it is in the US as well
Yeah I was a little confused by what he meant by opposite..