Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-18-2008, 03:40 PM

How good is the SVX for Daily Driver in 4 seasons?

Hello All,

I haven't been here for some time.

I have technically already acquired my SVX. Just have not taken delivery yet or tried it out but that does not concern me, I will have it before end of the month. Lets just say between mine and the sellers crazy busy schedules we have been unable to connect. This despite me having been in the same state in July and some 30 minutes away. No worries though as the car has been in a nice safe garage being well tended to awaiting me.

Quick review
I got my hands on a 97 Black with about 40K original one owner miles. Great shape cosmetically and mechanically and needs nothing in either dept.

So back to my question, the title says it all. I have recently returned what was suppose to be my winter car, a 2004 Honda 4 Door Civic SI to Honda Finance. I planned on keeping it after my lease having purchased an extended warranty and all but after 4 years of nothing but trouble from everything to everything I chose not to buy it out. There is nothing I really like out there that is less than 50K or for that matter closer to 70K. That said I am left with no real daily driver. I planned on keeping the SVX as part of my since weather only collection since its such a nice example but with no other daily driver I am at a loss as to what to do. I live in Montreal and thus have harsh winters that are not kind to cars. Thats what bothers me. This SVX has been well kept and away from the elements for all this time and now I am thinking of using it years round. Obviously what makes me consider it is that since its like new it will be reliable and has the AWD which for our 4 seasons makes sense. So how good it this cars for daily 4 season use? I would certainly rust proof it with the best products out there and make sure its well kept. Unless I am talked out of it I fear that I may just end up making this beauty my daily driver (not beater, just driver). It is actually one of the few "modern" cars that I like.

Thanks

Max
Old 08-18-2008, 04:25 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Re: How good is the SVX for Daily Driver in 4 seasons?

I drive mine 4 seasons a year. It's nice for daily driver. Not as friendly on the gas as some cars and the lack of 2 more doors makes for a little trouble when trying to carry things and people, but overall it's a great DD.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 08-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

It should do you well. But be sure to get it Rust Checked or Crowned. (I prefer Rust Check) The car is well made and will handle just about anything you can throw at it.

That said, if I were you I would really try to find something else to drive in the winter. I do drive mine year round but almost never in the slushie conditions that Montreal and Halifax are known for. A fine example of this car is just too nice for that kind of abuse. The salt, snow banks and careless drivers will destroy it in a couple of seasons. Most of my heart ache with mine has been caused by curb ice, parking lot drifts/banks, digging out and other drivers being careless in icey parking areas. Paint & windsheild chips are also more of a problem with the grit and ice thrown up in winter.

Last edited by SVX_MY_BABY; 08-18-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:50 PM

I drive mine year-round and absolutely love it. I was surprised how well it did this winter. This past winter was one of the worst in Iowa history and the SVX was an absolute tank, it took it all quite well.

I haven't had mine rust-proofed or anything like that. Just wash it once a week in the crummy weather (even if there is snow on the ground) and garage it if you can. Mine has 119k on it, and still looks great and is rust-free.

I can see why you'd not want to ruin it or anything, but just keep it clean and it will give you miles of smiles.

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!
Old 08-18-2008, 08:15 PM
94 SVX LSI Teal

Registered SVX

If it's in as good shape as you say, I would look for a beater for a grand or something and use that. An old Legacy is the perfect winter beater that you should be able to get for between $1-2000. In saying that however, I drive mine year round as my daily driver and I'm in Canada too near Toronto. I try to keep it as clean as possible all winter and try not to drive it on slushy or snowy days. On those days I take my wire's 2001 Legacy Ltd. (Great Car.) I was going to park it for this winter but I bought an 81 280ZX turbo in mint condition. That's the one going into storage instead.
all stock and likely staying that way for now
1981 Datsun 280zxturbo summer toy
Old 08-19-2008, 07:27 AM

If you care about your SVX you really should try to keep it off winter roads. No matter how well you rustproof or undercoat, there's no way to protect every nook and cranny, and road salt will certainly win in the end.

+1 on an old Legacy. It'll drive better in snow than an SVX, besides.

dcb
Old 08-19-2008, 07:52 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm

I'm all for driving the SVX year round, however, not a low mile SVX such as yours. Try to find an inexpensive SVX, or any other Subaru for that matter, and keep the 97 looking beautiful.

I also believe that winter tires are a must.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:43 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

I used to daily drive my SVX. It got hit and bumped all the time. Then I purchased a 92 Corolla for only $700 with 80k miles.

I must say the SVX is much safer feeling, more predictable, and much more stable. I make sure I stay away from everyone in the Corolla because I know it's not something that would fare well in a fender bender.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 08-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Way over-the-hill Member

If I could find a low mileage '97 like this one I would make it a garage queen and buy myself an old Forester as a daily driver.
'03 Forester XS 214,000 miles
'05 Outback 3.0R
Old 08-19-2008, 10:48 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

SVX + set of snows + 6 inches of fresh, fluffy snow is my recipe for a riot! I've been as respectfully confident in this Subaru as I have in the last two. Damn the salt, though.

The only thing that tides me til' late October is the autocross season.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:38 AM

Replies to suggestions

Hello All,

FIrst off thanks to all for the suggestions. Here my position and some replies to suggestions.

I live in Montreal and thus snow tires as of this year is a law as of a certain date in what I think is Nov and up until what I think is March. An I am glad for that as I think it is stupid for people that live in this area not to have them. All season tires are really only good for the first year of use in our type of winters and barely so when the weather turns bad. Cars are deadly and if you can be responsible enough to drive one you should be responsible enough to make it road safe not just for yourselves but those in your car and around you on the outside.

That said....

I have a two and half old daughter and want/need something safe and reliable. I work and thus cannot afford to have a "very old" unreliable unsafe automobile. A $700 car just wont do unless it was a steel. The NY winters are much less harsh that ours and a weaker older car might handle them but not Montreal, not after what I saw and experienced this past year. My 2004 Honda Civic with new snows had trouble on some days.

Now thats said....

I have a collection of
1972 Triumph STAG V8 Convertible 36000 Original miles 3rd owner
1974 Mazda RX4 Coupe Rotary 34000 Original miles 2nd owner
1972 AMC Gremlin X Factory V8 49000 Original miles 2nd owner
1993 Mazda RX7 FD Twin Turbo 15100 Original miles 4th owner

I am using the 93 RX7 FD as my Daily Driver for now but its killing me as before this past week it had never seen rain.....

The Subaru was intended to be added to that list as garage queens however space at my place and my mother-in-laws is running short. Already the Gremi is now residing outside on occasion along with the 93 RX7.

My 2004 Civic was intended to be my Daily Driver and winter beater but as mentioned after 4 years of nothing but trouble and even an attempt at legal action I was happy to return the car after its lease end on Aug 16th.

As well, I am in the retail business (with three store) and after some 7 break-ins in the past 24 months (and yes I have monitered alarms, bars, etc...etc...) of which the last one this past July I no longer had insurance (canceled due to high risk) and am taking the hit personally (F*CK the crooks). So my plans for spending on another winter beater has been dented somewhat. Because of this recent loss I am somewhat uncomfortable at this time in dropping anther $5K to 10K plus on a winter car when I have this SVX that seems more than capable. I do not believe that a car less than 5K would be safe and reliable enough for my family, me and my work. Cars on Canada are not as cheap as in the USA and harsh winters demand something more new or at least older but like new.

Thats what brought me to my thread question. Maybe I will feel diff after I physically have the car here and driven it some over the next month or so. Maybe I can sell one of my other toys but my problem is that I get them telling myself that I will sell one to acquire the new one and that never happens since I get attached to them. Knowing that I will never find another in the same original and still pristine condition like what I have in my collection makes it harder to part with any of them....

So, back I am at this problem. I have no winter or Daily Driver at this time and finances have changed some while priorities have also changed some with my 2 1/2 year old (plus another in the oven). I have not made up my mind yet and have until I guess late October to make my move but am fishing now for a solution.

best regards

Max
Old 08-19-2008, 11:48 AM
Looks and smells great.

I actually bought my SVX for a winter car, so there's my opinion!
1992 LSL Pearlie: 108k, 15min/$15 mod, Alternator wiring "upgrade," Power Mode switch, K&N drop-in, 4500k 35w low-beam HIDs, 3000k 35w fog HIDs, lots more planned (pending funds, of course)- 4.44 5spd being at the top of the list.
"We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
-C.S. Lewis
Old 08-19-2008, 02:52 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
Re: Replies to suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxg765 View Post
The NY winters are much less harsh that ours...
Be careful talking about harsh winters with a guy from Syracuse. I'll give you concession in that last winter, Montreal did pass Syracuse's average. I do have to say, though, that Montreal's record fails to impress.

That silliness aside, I understand your concerns, but I do offer that my SVX stormed through our snow quite handily.

I wish we had a law demanding snow tires, too!
Old 08-19-2008, 05:54 PM

I guess I never knew that Canadian law required snow tires.

In that case, you are totally good to go. I respect people who say to garage the car and to keep it clean, being rare, low miles, etc... However I believe that cars are made to be driven. Subaru gave it a capable AWD system for exactly this type of thing. And just because you drive it in winter doesn't mean it's going to rust out like TOMORROW. Just keep it clean year-round the best you can, and it will stay nice for a good long while. Put snow tires on it and the only thing you'll have to worry about (snow-wise) in the winter is bottoming it out. A heavy AWD car like this is very confident in snow and I was very impressed with mine this past winter.

I say go for it.

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!
Old 08-19-2008, 10:23 PM

Registered SVX

mine did awesome in 14 inches of snow just remember it doesnt have alot of ground clearance and you should be fine