Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-12-2008, 11:58 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Blowing of 20AMP fuse for Cig Ligther

I have found out why mine has kept blowing. The Cig lighter after its years would turn slightly and make the inward and outer casing touch causing the short and thus blowing the fuse. I have unplugged my lighter and haven't had an issue again with it blowing. I hope this helps other people.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 08-12-2008, 02:25 PM

Re: Blowing of 20AMP fuse for Cig Ligther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
I have found out why mine has kept blowing. The Cig lighter after its years would turn slightly and make the inward and outer casing touch causing the short and thus blowing the fuse. I have unplugged my lighter and haven't had an issue again with it blowing. I hope this helps other people.
Thanks for the information!

Keith
Old 08-12-2008, 06:36 PM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

I have 2 power connectors (1 for my cell phone and 1 for my GPS) I never have an issue with my GPS one... but with the cell phone I've blown 4 fuses.
Something about pushing it down too far makes it blow... or inserting it down hard rather (spring like) for longer than a second will blow it.

I'll have to see if this is similar as to why it's happening but doesn't make much since why it would only do that on the cell phone charger...
Old 08-13-2008, 07:08 AM

Registered SVX

After 17 years my cig lighter decided to separate at power supply connection. The only thing I used it for was to charge the cell phone, well, I now charge it in the house. It looks like the way to reconnect the power wires to the lighter is to remove the console, no thanks.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:17 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX

You might be able to reach behind it if you take the ashtray out but not sure. I have the actual lighter in mine just to plug the hole, I don't smoke but even if I did I sure as sh*t wouldn't smoke in my car, not just cuz of the gagging old smoke smell, but also the risk of melting or burning holes in the interior, and that icky film that builds up on the windows. (I've worked on cars that I've had to spray deodorizer in before I could even get in them to move them into the shop they smelled so bad)
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 08-14-2008, 02:21 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondasucks View Post
You might be able to reach behind it if you take the ashtray out but not sure. I have the actual lighter in mine just to plug the hole, I don't smoke but even if I did I sure as sh*t wouldn't smoke in my car, not just cuz of the gagging old smoke smell, but also the risk of melting or burning holes in the interior, and that icky film that builds up on the windows. (I've worked on cars that I've had to spray deodorizer in before I could even get in them to move them into the shop they smelled so bad)
The ashtray hole is home to the tranny temp & pressure gauges, unless I really need the power from the lighter hole I'm leaving it be. Thanks for the info.

I smoked for 28 years, quit 20 years ago. I couldn't believe how bad my clothes & car smelled after my nose started working normally.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:32 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

so I thought I had the problem solved... It back and with a vengeance... I am very irritated now because with that fuse takes the AC and clock and damn it I want my AC. I had my lighter completely unplugged. I removed the clock and AC fuses to see if that would cause the fuse to stop blowing it didnt. What happens is I can put a new fuse in and turn to on. The clock lights up for about 2 seconds and then pop the fuse blows... I'm ready to pull my hair out I recently got a GPS which I'd like to use the Light power also with it. Anyone have any advice ?

I can only assume that it would be the mirrors shorting somewhere... Can I disconnect those or can someone spot some light on this issue of mine?

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
Old 08-16-2008, 01:59 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Check the wiring to your radio, I had the same problem and after I put the stock radio back in it went away.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

I cant seem to find it... Is there a way to disconnect the mirrors? I really want my ac back and I have completely disconnected the lighter. I am getting very upset not finding why its blowing.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:56 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Further describe "I have unplugged my lighter", looking for a clearer picture of the condition.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dromano View Post
Further describe "I have unplugged my lighter", looking for a clearer picture of the condition.
I have disconnected it and have even removed it from the spot. I pull the power mirror switch nothing new. I have noticed if you pull the clock fuse the beeper stop if you leave your keys in the ignition. I'm really going crazy.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:07 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
I have disconnected it and have even removed it from the spot. I pull the power mirror switch nothing new. I have noticed if you pull the clock fuse the beeper stop if you leave your keys in the ignition. I'm really going crazy.
Sorry for your dilemma, I think you need the input of a tech. Are you getting any diagnostic codes? It must be a unique problem of a short or bad connection. Hope you receive some good input.

Dave
Old 08-18-2008, 06:53 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dromano View Post
Sorry for your dilemma, I think you need the input of a tech. Are you getting any diagnostic codes? It must be a unique problem of a short or bad connection. Hope you receive some good input.

Dave
Its weird. I'll put a new fuse in and turn the ignition and the the clock lights up for 2 - 3 seconds and then it blows. It doesnt blow right away. I remove the clock. AC , and Radio fuse and it still blows. I don't know tomorrow I will pull apart my radio but I don't get why it would keep working or not blow the Radio fuse. Any had a problem like this?

Old 08-19-2008, 09:13 PM

Registered SVX

it might be the constant power supply wire for the radio is causing this problem. When I installed my radio I had an almost idenetical problem. the constant power supply is not linked to the radio fuse( that I am aware of) as when I pulled it back out and reconnected the wire differently it hasen't happened since

Last edited by subarufamily; 08-19-2008 at 09:14 PM. Reason: spelling of word
Old 08-20-2008, 06:14 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by subarufamily View Post
it might be the constant power supply wire for the radio is causing this problem. When I installed my radio I had an almost idenetical problem. the constant power supply is not linked to the radio fuse( that I am aware of) as when I pulled it back out and reconnected the wire differently it hasen't happened since
I checked it again and still same problem. I treid with the radio disconnected too but it just lights the clock up for a second and then boom fuse pops. I'm going insane ( Anyone have and advice??? This sucks so bad.

So far:
The lighter is disconnected.
I checked the wires for radio and as far as I could tell It was fine. (did fix another problem with some static)
I tried pull all the fuses (Radio, AC and Clock) Still blew.
I am going insane .