Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2008, 05:51 AM
Registered Loser

Strange Engine Startup

Hey guys, hopefully this is an easy fix.

When I start the car from cold in the morning (and I mean DAM cold).. My car starts without a problem whatsoever.

When I've been driving and the engine is completely hot (say for example over half an hour of driving) and I turn the car off and get back to it a couple of minutes later, it starts really well, like you just need to turn the key for a very very short period of time.

BUT!!! when the engine is completely warmed up, and I turn it off and go and start the car anywhere between 1 and nearly 3 hours later, I'm holding the key down for a good 6 seconds just waiting for the bloody thing to start up!!

Here's how I start my car up most of the time... I turn the key to accessories and leave it there for about 15 seconds until everything seems to be ready and settled and then I start it.

My battery is in good condition, and I have no faults according to the flicking engine diagnostics

Any suggestions??
Thanks, Jordan.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:28 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRbZ View Post
... I'm holding the key down for a good 6 seconds just waiting for the bloody thing to start up!!...
When you are waiting for 6 seconds, is the engine cranking and not starting? Or is it just sitting there without the starter spinning?
Old 05-06-2008, 09:03 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Sounds like a problem with the Coolant Temperature Sensor
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 05-07-2008, 02:15 AM
Registered Loser

the starter motor just keeps turning the engine over... the starter and the engine are spinning. Sometimes I give the accellerator a couple of taps with my foot until it starts.. should i not do that?

Here's what I've been told

The lazy respsonse - Vapour Lock

Could be - Fuel Filter

coolant temperature sensor? wouldn't my diagnostics be showing me codes?... I don't have an OEM radiator by the way

Jordan.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:48 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Quote:
the starter motor just keeps turning the engine over... the starter and the engine are spinning. Sometimes I give the accellerator a couple of taps with my foot until it starts.. should i not do that?

Here's what I've been told

The lazy respsonse - Vapour Lock

Could be - Fuel Filter

coolant temperature sensor? wouldn't my diagnostics be showing me codes?... I don't have an OEM radiator by the way

Jordan.
Well I think the Fuel Filter can be thrown out :/ as it wouldn't occur like that I believe. I'd search around the forums a bit I recall hearing a similar thing awhile back. Sorry can't be more help.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 05-07-2008, 06:54 AM

Sounds like the CTS. Mine was just like that and never through a code. There are two Coolant Temp Sensors; one has a single wire and feeds the gauge, the other has two wires and feeds the ECU. You want to replace the two wire ECU sensor. They are both located at the rear of the engine on the left side (Our drivers, your passenger) under the intake manifold. It has a brownish red plug.

Disconnect the battery when you replace it, not for safety, but to reset the computer while your working.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:26 AM
Registered Loser

That sounds fixable by me. lol. How long did it take you to fix and I hate to pester, but what was the process?
Thanks, Jordan.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:28 AM

All together, maybe 30 minutes??

-Tools needed; rag, 10mm wrench, Deep 19mm socket with extension and ratchet.
-The engine should be cool, otherwise you could get a fountain of hot coolant when you remove the sensor.
-Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery.
-Remove the engine cover, it's only two screws (if their still there)
-Disconnect the reddish brown wiring harness going to the CTS.
-Use a deep 19mm socket and extension to remove the CTS. There will be a little coolant that comes out, use a rag to soak it up. If you have the new sensor ready to go back in quick, you'll lose less coolant.
-Install the new CTS with a new copper washer and reconnect the harness.
-If it hasn't been 30 minutes wait to reconnect the battery, you should leave it disconnected for 30 minutes to reset the ECU.

That's it, pretty simple.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:41 AM
Registered Loser

Awesome, thanks a lot for that, next thing is getting hold of a CTS, any ideas on pricing? I'd imagine it's the same part for LH and RHD SVXs.. and last but not least how positive are you that it is the sensor?
Old 05-08-2008, 07:32 AM

Pricing is about US$25. This is one of those parts that is usually cheaper from the dealer than from the local discount parts place. Yeah it should be the same, no matter what side drive. If anything, yours may be easier because the brake booster and vacuum line on on the other side.

I bet ya' a beer that this fixes it
Old 05-08-2008, 04:54 PM
Registered Loser

It's on like Donkey Kong.. A beer it is. ... nah you're probably right.

I'm off to Subaru Parts right now, do you also know if this is a part that's shared with any other Subarus?
Old 05-08-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
... you also know if this is a part that's shared with any other Subarus?
I'm not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me???
Old 05-08-2008, 05:35 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
I'm not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me???
The 90-94 Legacy's CTS looks exactly the same as the one I put in my SVX. I don't know if it's the same part number though.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 05-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Registered Loser

Yeh I just got back from Subaru and they told me that it's the same part as the liberty or legacy, it was $45

I'm feeling very sorry for my car.. I still have to put on... the PCV valve, rear wheel bearings, i need to figure out what to do with the shocks because I'm not sure if i wanna buy new 10year+ old stock shocks from subaru, I need a rear diff gasket/seal, both passenger and drivers inside and outside window dampers, i've ordered a drivers window module and still need the front passengers module, I'm doing the JDM front clear indicators and while everything's apart I'm gonna put in some 6" splits in the front doors... last but not least im gonna do this mod where I'm gonna make the centre console and handrest and take it straight through to the back seats so the back seats have a centre console and handrest too.. just like on the RX-8.
and wait there's more.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:57 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Darn, I was too late. Wanted to mention that the part for the SVX and the part for the 1995 Subaru Legacy is the same, but I hear that if you tell them that you have a '95 Legacy it's cheaper than telling them you have an SVX. Haven't tested that rumor personally, but when I replaced my sensor I did say I had a '95 Legacy. Cost about $20, had the new copper washer and everything. Worked great.