How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-01-2008, 03:34 PM
The Molinator

BrOkE TrAnSaXlE!

YIKES! I noticed about 2 days ago a faint whirring noise coming from about the firewall. It got louder (still not too loud tho)...until this AM on the way to work...BROKE...THUD...THUD...THUD... It clunks about every three feet or so! Towed to my excellent mechanic, Kevin. He just called to tell me:

The REAR DRIVE FROM THE TRANSAXLE IS INOPERABLE...APPARENTLY THE SHAFT INSIDE THE TRANSAXLE THAT DRIVES THE REAR WHEELS BROKE (WITH BROKEN ENDS CLUNKING ON EACH OTHER)......It's important to state my Transaxle has been functioning fine otherwise. So, Kevin thinks that maybe just that rear drive axle broke...and the rest of the tranny is good?

(1) HELP!

(2) Can that part be fixed? Is this a "common" failure?

(3) How much for a repair/rebuild Transaxle if indicated?

(4) How much for a guaranteed used/rebuild Transaxle if indicated?

(5) PLEASE GIVE ANY INFO YOU HAVE ASAP...I WILL HAVE TO DECIDE SHORTLY WHETHER TO REPAIR (REAR AXLE ONLY) THE TRANSAXLE... OR TO REBUILD THE TRANSAXLE....OR TO INSTALL A REBUILT TRANSAXLE.......OR TRASH ( ) my SVX...???

THANKS for any HELP!
Jim (559) 240-4612

P.S. My mechanic Kevin (Arcane Auto) may contact the site for the same reason.
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 05-01-2008, 05:06 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Scott View Post
YIKES! I noticed about 2 days ago a faint whirring noise coming from about the firewall. It got louder (still not too loud tho)...until this AM on the way to work...BROKE...THUD...THUD...THUD... It clunks about every three feet or so! Towed to my excellent mechanic, Kevin. He just called to tell me:

The REAR DRIVE FROM THE TRANSAXLE IS INOPERABLE...APPARENTLY THE SHAFT INSIDE THE TRANSAXLE THAT DRIVES THE REAR WHEELS BROKE (WITH BROKEN ENDS CLUNKING ON EACH OTHER)......It's important to state my Transaxle has been functioning fine otherwise. So, Kevin thinks that maybe just that rear drive axle broke...and the rest of the tranny is good?

(1) HELP!

(2) Can that part be fixed? Is this a "common" failure?

(3) How much for a repair/rebuild Transaxle if indicated?

(4) How much for a guaranteed used/rebuild Transaxle if indicated?

(5) PLEASE GIVE ANY INFO YOU HAVE ASAP...I WILL HAVE TO DECIDE SHORTLY WHETHER TO REPAIR (REAR AXLE ONLY) THE TRANSAXLE... OR TO REBUILD THE TRANSAXLE....OR TO INSTALL A REBUILT TRANSAXLE.......OR TRASH ( ) my SVX...???

THANKS for any HELP!
Jim (559) 240-4612

P.S. My mechanic Kevin (Arcane Auto) may contact the site for the same reason.
Jim the Transfer clutch housing can break the welds that fix it to the Transfer gear, so that the rear wheels won't drive. But that would only clunk when the front wheels spin, and the broken parts prevent the drive to the rear. If you were just driving forward gently, the broken parts would not clunk.

The sounds that you describe sounds more like the front diff, that would clunk every time a broken tooth come around.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:33 PM
The Molinator

Hmmmmmmm?

Please tell me if there is any good alternatives (like someone has a good rebuilt Transaxle?)...CUZ.. The best offer I have here is to rebuild my Transaxle for $1595 (min charge) to $3500!

I don't think these cars are worth much more than $4000...ARE THEY? Could I get ANYTHING for my SVX...without a tranny?

Is it time for a "new" car...??? [I don't like change! My pooooor SVX!]

2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Old 05-01-2008, 05:59 PM

Rebuild costs

Jim,

After I paid $3600 for my '92 pearlie with 154,000 mi. on it, I drove it for 3,000 miles until one day it wouldn't go into first or reverse. Took it to the best tranny shop in town, they did a complete rebuild, including the front diff, for $2500. So now I have over $6K in the car, along with a two year unconditional warranty on the trans. and diff. Since I'm not planning to get rid of the car, but planning to enjoy it for some time to come, I figured that was just part of the investment. Yes, it wasn't cheap, but the car is worth it.

While I don't really believe the '97 that sold for $20K, a good, low mileage one is still worth more than $10K, and I think overall the values have bottomed. I look for a slow, slow, increased in the next few years, especially for really nice cars.

Paul
'93 Mercury (Aussie) Capri
Old 05-01-2008, 06:26 PM
The Molinator

AlRight!

So you'll buy mine!?

Ha! You know I have 172,000 miles on my '95 SVX. I love it...but it might be time to.....

OH! NO!...I can't! ....What was I thinking....?

OK...I have control of myself now. Tranny repair is unlike other services or repairs! You don't know how much it costs! A totally open-ended financial committment! [$1595 to $3500 is a hard deal to commit to...] Maybe $1595 to $2295....HUH? That I could relate to... I feel like a fool giving someone a committment to $3500...without ANY proof..or pre-knowledge!

If it went like yours did...I'd agree and wait for the fix!

Thanks for the thoughts...and your story!

Jim
Old 05-02-2008, 08:24 AM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Check out Car-Part.com. You might find a local low mileage diff or even an entire tranny for a good price. I'm looking at buying a SVX with bad diff and have found a 40k mile '97 transmission for $500 (60 miles away) and a low mileage diff in SC for $200.00.
Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 05-02-2008, 09:26 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
send a PM to Hocrest, he has a good front diff available as far as I know which your mechanic can install... If the car is still at the mechanic's shop before assuming the worst, ask them to inspect the front axles for excessive play

Tom
Old 05-02-2008, 09:32 AM

what you described as happening sounds exactly like when my front diff blew out the front diff cover. A thud on every rotation no matter what speed. Very loud and sad sounding!
Old 05-02-2008, 03:02 PM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
Time for a 5 speed?
Old 05-02-2008, 03:23 PM

Precisely what i did!