Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 08:10 PM

Hi, should i get an SVX or not?????.....

Hello, my name is Adam Delp, long story short i want an svx badly!, it all started in i believe 1992 when i saw a cormercial for them, i was always intrigued by the weird window design, and i love suburu anyways, and then in 95 i do believe i bought the first Grand Torismo playstation game (i own all 4 now) well the car i liked the most in the game was the Suburu Alcoyone (?sp?) loved that car!! which in the US its an SVX, well so ive wanted one ever since, i found a black 94 AWD lthr int and all the goddies for sell at a lot near my house for 8,900$ it had 89k miles and the clear coat was shot on mots fenders...why did this dealer want so much??!!! then i did some research and found out that these are 30 - 40k$ brand new....explanes it all well anyway, i curently drive a 88 pont. Fiero with s 3400 sfi v6 from an 04' olds alero (very fast), and i have a 87 voyager race minivan soon to be twin turbo 3.0L, i have a nice technical and automotive background (although im only 21) and i think i could be a devoted svx owner..the real problems here (as ive faced to many with my fiero ..hince the 3400sfi eng insteed of its 4cyl stock eng) and i can budgett in a broken svx...what are their weak points..i know trans..and whats the best year to get?? do they all have thoes power seat belts?...i leave just that basic info for now as to not be a post *****...

-Adam
Old 07-11-2007, 08:55 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
The best way to get alot of info on these special cars is this forum (so you've picked the right place to be). The only real weak points on the SVX is the tranny and sometimes the rear bearings, people list alot of other things but most of that stuff is just maintenance items or wear and tear items that go from "aggresive" driving. For modifying, anything that is OBDI (92-95) would be your best choice. The automatic seat belts were replaced in mid '94 when they added the passenger airbag.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru_svx.html

That is probably the best place to get trim/model info, its not 100% correct but its missing very minor details. Good luck and welcome to the site!

Dustin

Ps. If you havent driving one yet, you'll be hooked once you get to

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 07-11-2007, 09:02 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Hey there,
The svx is a GREAT car to get. its quick, luxourious, curious, and just plain enjoyable to drive. A few mechanical weak points are the transmission (Which really, isnt a big deal is your mechanicly inclined) rear wheel bearings, brake rotors, and the radiator. Also some things like valve cover gaskets, crank pullys, and front seals go bad due to deterioraing rubber. some more minor nusiances include the sunroof sticking (May need a little push to open) scratches on the door glass, and door sill plates that just dont stay on

That being said, you'll easilly be able to get one in comprable condition as the local car dealer for considerably less than 8900. When buying an svx, its inportant to really take your time and shop around. Get one with some service records, or one that you know has been well cared for and not abused by an ignorant driver.

You may want to check out our for sale section. Also, there is alot of information regarding trim levels and options in svxi i the how to documents, as well as a buyers guide and much, much more usefull info
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 07-11-2007, 09:10 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Hi Adam

Welcome to the site. You are in the right place to learn about the SVX. When you are looking for one, use this guide to buying a used SVX. It will help you determine if it is a good one or not. If you have any quesitons, do not hesitate to ask. That is why we are here. You should be able to find a real nice one for less than that car that you mentioned. It will pay off to find a good one that has not been abused and keep it that way. If you are good to them, they are good to you. Good luck on getting one.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 07-11-2007, 09:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXyGirl Send a message via Yahoo to SVXyGirl
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by got svx?
Fiero with s 3400 sfi v6 from an 04' olds alero (very fast)
Awesome! Why didn't you go with a V8? Makes it so much more sweeter! I also have a Fiero, but it will stay stock. It was bought by my uncle brand new and he sold it to me. One day I will get another one to have fun with. But, right now I've got enough on my plate. Besides...the SVXs are keeping me busy. ...and happy..

Welcome to the site.
92 Claret SVX LS-L (180k) 09/91 #5,732
06 Suzuki Boulevard M50 7k
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (70k) Storage/hibernation for now.

Past SVXs:
94 SVX Emerald Pearl FWD (Sold)
96 SVX Bourdeaux LSi (Sold)
92 Pearl SVX LSL "Stay Puft" 5MT (140k) #148 (RIP)
95 Brilliant Red SVX LS (162k) 12/94 #564 "Killer Tomato" (RIP)

Old 07-11-2007, 10:16 PM
94 SVX LSI Teal

Registered SVX
I agree with everyone so far. I've had my 94 SVX a couple of months and no problems whatsoever. However, I would like to know what Gran Tourismo games include the Subaru SVX (ALCYONE) I think I have #3 and I have not seen one in there.... Is it earlier games that include the SVX?
all stock and likely staying that way for now
1981 Datsun 280zxturbo summer toy
Old 07-11-2007, 10:20 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie59
I agree with everyone so far. I've had my 94 SVX a couple of months and no problems whatsoever. However, I would like to know what Gran Tourismo games include the Subaru SVX (ALCYONE) I think I have #3 and I have not seen one in there.... Is it earlier games that include the SVX?
GT1 and 2 had the SVX

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 07-11-2007, 11:02 PM
206,000 miles on 1 air filter

Send a message via AIM to nonSTOP_service
lol, games that include the SVX;

Gran Turismo
Gran Turismo 2
Tokyo Xtreme Racer DRIFT 2
Wangan Midnight: MAXIMUM TUNE 2

...off the top of my head. Any others?

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L Scratched Silver Metallic
213,000mi

"Hey what's that green power light mean?"
"It means we're beating that Porsche."
"What Porsche?"
"Look behind us."
"....Nice..."
- actual conversation
Old 07-11-2007, 11:19 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Tokyo Xtreme Racer: Drift
Kaido Battle 2: Chain Reaction
Sega GT 2002 + Online Edition

Uhh... I think that's it... I love my SVX on WMMT2.

If you get one that wasn't loved, then it'll be a labor of love keeping it running... but chances are, if you find one for sale on this site, it'll be much easier to keep up with. Not to mention, getting replacement parts is a sinch if you hang around here.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan
Tokyo Xtreme Racer: Drift
Kaido Battle 2: Chain Reaction
Sega GT 2002 + Online Edition

Uhh... I think that's it... I love my SVX on WMMT2.

If you get one that wasn't loved, then it'll be a labor of love keeping it running... but chances are, if you find one for sale on this site, it'll be much easier to keep up with. Not to mention, getting replacement parts is a sinch if you hang around here.
I'll admit, mine was a gamble. Luckily my SVX was well maintained.

213,000mi

"What Porsche?"
"Look behind us."
"....Nice..."
- actual conversation
Old 07-11-2007, 11:28 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonSTOP_service
I'll admit, mine was a gamble. Luckily my SVX was well maintained.
Mine was not. But I must say, for an SVX that was, to put it bluntly, abused... all the minor fixes I did along the way have kept it running well as a daily driver and even got it across the country without breaking. Which is why I bought the car in the first place despite the damage I saw... because it's a Subaru. And I knew from experience that Subarus are built like tanks.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:03 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Shopping around is a good idea, although you may have to make a road trip to find that "perfect SVX". I didn't shop around very much, and the car I bought needs a bunch of work done. I knew that going in and did it intentionally. I didn't need a car and wanted to keep a not-so-great shape SVX out of the crusher.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 07-12-2007, 03:14 AM

True on the road trip. I drove about an hour (75 miles) to pick mine up. Luckily the guy I bought it from was pretty chill... Though kinda dumb. The owner before him (I'm the 3rd) took phenomenal care of the car, I've got a book of service records.

Though I do need to get up on maintenance, I'll hop on that tomorrow... Er, once the sun comes up.

My advice friend, don't just jump on the first SVX you find. If I did that I woulda payed twice what I did for this one, and that was a LS with nissan wheels and a pair of broken wiper motors.

213,000mi

"What Porsche?"
"Look behind us."
"....Nice..."
- actual conversation
Old 07-12-2007, 08:21 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan
...getting replacement parts is a sinch if you hang around here.
A cinch for YOU, maybe.....

Tom's PM box overfloweth there for a while.

j/k

1992 Liquid Silver LSL, >230K -- "Silver Bullet" // dimpled/slotted rotors, SS brakes lines, 5000K HID headlights // TRI-TONE paint
Old 07-12-2007, 03:41 PM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
I love my svx's. They're extremely comfortable, have a great ride, do fair on gas milage, everything i could want. On the track doing 110mph feels the same as 30mph, smooth and quiet. It has a wide and agressive stance, which gives it great stability and handling. Properly maintained, they'll last forever, at least a few have cleared 300k miles on their cars.

I get in my car, and it feels like the seats "hug" me, holding me in place. Every control i need is well with-in arm's reach. The climate control is incredible, it's been 100degrees out lately, i just punch the auto button and it cools to 75degrees in minutes, if that long. Then i can turn on the radio and get to where i am going. Punching the gas at any speed gives a noticable boost in speed, it always has power to spare, and cornering is no problem.

Reccomendations:

-225/50ZR16 wheels. The added width over the 205's, along with decent tires, gives a noticable boost in traction.

-AWD model, which you don't have to worry about unless you get a 94-95, as all other models for other years were of the awd variety.

-Drilled/slotted rotors: The SVX is heavy, without additional cooling on the rotors, they tend to warp. I've already replaced all of mine.

-92/93 upgrade to 134A collant from the stock R-12. Overall much easier to deal with in all aspects. Refill in the event of leaks, etc is much cheaper and you can do it yourself.

My 2 cents. Good luck.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!