SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2007, 09:33 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
See what kind of chip samples maaco offers. I dont know what kind of system they use, but they may have spray-outs of the color in question used for colormatching. Worst case scenerio, you give them both codes, and have them mix up a few ounces of each for your comparison sake. It'll probably only be like 10$ worth of paint wastd, seeing as they can actually use the right color sample
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 07-15-2007, 09:39 PM
Still rebuilding my block...
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by techy101
Out of curiosity, would the 947 be the same thing? Since I can't find 247 in any of the places that I'm looking codes up? Is that just because I'm in the USA?
I dont know if color code 947 is the US translation of 247 as I haven't heard of any other SVX colors having a JDM translation or vice versa.
I would think you might be having trouble locating the color in any US color catalogs because it is was released only in Germany, Switzerland, and Japan from what I understand from John (svxcess).
That was another concern of mine when I considered painting my SVX this color. If I give this color code to my painter... will the color translate correctly here?
I have never heard of 947 before though. Sorry I don't know anymore.

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
'92 Pearl - 100k Side restoration project
Locker | Old Locker | Shutterfly | ReadingIX | Facebook | Instagram
Old 07-15-2007, 09:39 PM
A.L.I.C.E.

Send a message via AIM to techy101 Send a message via Yahoo to techy101
Off topic, why is your signature not valid in MN?
Old 07-16-2007, 02:21 PM
Missing in action

Registered SVX
read it on a cerial box when I was a kid....had something to do with a "free" toy they sent you when you mailed in box tops or something...
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 07-16-2007, 11:46 PM
Alcyone ... the brightest star

PPG paints shows this in their codes

372 - barcelona red - subaru 1993 - 1996
947 - mica ruby poly - subaru 1989 - 2000

I used the 372 to get my touch up spray can mixed. Matches perfectly.
What does the 'poly' mean metallic ?

Bob
Old 07-17-2007, 12:02 AM
A.L.I.C.E.

Well, took the car in today. And sssoommmeeehhhooowwwww the owner is on Vacation for 2 weeks. Keep in mind that today is the day he set with me to come in.

My hopes aren't to high that this will go well, but as it stands right now, no one there had any idea about this whole thing, and they're waiting for a call back from the owner.

While this pisses me off, what really gets me, is that they asked if I was the guy who "came barreling in and hit the honda." This is NOT what happened, and there are few things that really upset me like having my integrity challenged. I live by the phrase "A Mans Word Is His Bond."

I could keep ranting, but it's not going to do any good. So wish me luck, looks like I'll need it. I'll keep you guys/gals posted as to what happens.

I do have a signed/dated estimate showing a $0.00 cost for "refinish exterior of car" which is pretty vauge, but it's what I've got at the moment.

Oh, also went with code 947. The PPG rep happened to be there when I was there, and he couldn't find a 247 anywhere, even with multiple manufacturers.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:16 AM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
Looks like a curb stomping is in order for the owner of that paint shop, my parents are gonna be up in duluth in acouple days and I'd go up and help you with that but I've got work Good luck with all that and I hope everything works out for you.

Dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 07-18-2007, 12:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsvx
PPG paints shows this in their codes

372 - barcelona red - subaru 1993 - 1996
947 - mica ruby poly - subaru 1989 - 2000

I used the 372 to get my touch up spray can mixed. Matches perfectly.
What does the 'poly' mean metallic ?
Poly= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymer
Old 07-18-2007, 02:52 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozykat
I dont know if color code 947 is the US translation of 247 as I haven't heard of any other SVX colors having a JDM translation or vice versa.
I would think you might be having trouble locating the color in any US color catalogs because it is was released only in Germany, Switzerland, and Japan from what I understand from John (svxcess).
That was another concern of mine when I considered painting my SVX this color. If I give this color code to my painter... will the color translate correctly here?
I have never heard of 947 before though. Sorry I don't know anymore.
Marisa

The jdm catalogues show 247, and possibly it would be easy enough to get one of the Australia owners to check the code on the VIN plate, or possibly Bipa, if anyone can contact her to check her Swiss car out.

This color was already in use before the SVX. [Estate, Legacy, Justy] That is why I think 947 is the US version, and it is likely that the 9 vs 2 part of the code refers either to a year or to a country rather than a different color mix.

Over here in Ireland I have seen that color on Foresters of around 99-2000 vintage. It is a very striking red.

If I was in your shoes, contemplating a color change to this color, and worried that the US mix was not the same as the jdm or Euro cars, here is what I would do; I would confirm from one of the Australian Ruby Mica guys what the code was on their cars. Then with a Google search I would contact an Australian paint supplier, and ask them to give you the detailed paint mix instructions for that Subaru code. I would refer that paint mix instructions to the US paint suppliers. If the paint mix is the same for 247 in Australia as it is for 947 in the US, then you are sorted, you can use the local mix.
[Or alternatively you can get them to mix up the 247 mix for you, now that you know how it is made ]

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Last edited by svxistentialist; 07-18-2007 at 02:54 AM.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:06 AM
Alcyone ... the brightest star

... does that mean the Mica Ruby Poly is a better paint than the others or just has a special polymer blend?

you can always use animal fat to protect the paint (organic polymer?) http://www.optimumcarcare.com/evolution.html

Bob
Old 07-24-2007, 08:38 PM
A.L.I.C.E.

Got the car back from paint tonight. It's definetly not perfect. But it is pretty decent. I opted not to have them fill and block sand the hood, event though it needs it. It's going to be cheaper to replace the hood than they wanted to block sand it all. So that's why you'll see waves in the hood in the pictures. They flash seems to have made them look much much worse than they do in person. You really have to catch it in just the right light for them to show up.

It's surely a Maaco paint job. But it looks tons better than it used to. It was in the garage for pictures, and it was getting dark out so the color isn't really well represented either. I put the rear tail lights all back in tonight, and hopefully I'll have the rest of it put back together in the next week or two.

Next thing, get rid of those white wheels.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:47 PM
Missing in action

Registered SVX
Hmm...Yep, that color is sex, even without the black top.
Looks pretty darn good for a free paint job man. I see what you mean by it's a maaco job...Other than the ignoramus tape up jobon that little rubber gasket between the thingy and the dodad, it came out good

Old 07-24-2007, 10:37 PM
Banned

I noticed you took off all your plastic moldings to get it painted.... did any of the clips break? How hard were they to remove? I'm thinking about getting my car painted soon.... slightly concerned about that part.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:51 PM
OOC for a while

Send a message via AIM to 94SubieSVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
Other than the ignoramus tape up jobon that little rubber gasket between the thingy and the dodad, it came out good

Oh yeah that one lol
Old 07-25-2007, 03:41 AM
Still rebuilding my block...
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
Hmm...Yep, that color is sex, even without the black top.
that's about what I was thinking....

i'm getting my car painted (was going to be monday) but now... maybe I will have to postpone the paint job to think about it..

code 947 or oem code 372.. what to do?!?

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
'92 Pearl - 100k Side restoration project
Locker | Old Locker | Shutterfly | ReadingIX | Facebook | Instagram