Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 12:06 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Let me rant for a while

Why is it that frequently when someone offers a car for sale here, someone else sites a lowball transaction that’s taken place and suggests that should be the benchmark? It seems to suggest that a seller should investigate the lowest price for which an SVX has ever been sold, and then ask for less. Take a look at this link for example.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38965

To me, these cars are worth a lot more than other makes and models. I wouldn’t sell one for less than it was worth to me and I wouldn’t buy one for more than it was worth to me. And I sure wouldn’t care if someone else thought that I valued my car too highly.

The SVX is a unique vehicle but it doesn’t appeal to everyone. It unfortunately has gained (unfairly I might add) a bad reputation for reliability, largely due to the fact that it has weaknesses that can be intimidating to the uneducated. As we know, these idiosyncrasies and more of an annoyance than a prohibiting factor. My experiences with my SVXs (I have three with the fourth one coming on Saturday) have been much more favourable than experiences that I’ve had with other makes and models. Before 2004, I had never owned four cars at one time, let alone four of the same kind.

We, of all people, should recognize that these cars have always been undervalued in the market place (at least in the US) compared to other makes and models. We should recognize as well that this board is probably the best forum for the exchange of information about the SVX in the world. People look to this site for all kinds of information, including pricing information when considering either a sale or a purchase. Let’s let the laws of supply and demand govern those prices, unimpeded by the bias remarks of someone who knows of someone else who got a better deal somehow, somewhere some time ago.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:49 AM

Registered SVX
I agree with the point made, i.e. when a member publishes data on a car for sale, it is hardly cricket (good sportsmanship), to follow up with posts which could influence the price in a negative way.

I have several times made the point that the huge number of problems, which come to the fore here, tend to give prospective buyers of an SVX, a very bad impression. More complimentary posts on view would be a good thing.

I came here shortly after purchasing my car and my immediate reaction was --- damn, it appears that I have bought a lemon. This site comprises published information, which can very well affect pockets.

Edit P.S. Would something like this be out of place, on the home page. -----

The SVX is a truly a remarkable car, the point being proven by the enthusiasm displayed here.

Visitors will become aware of a large enthusiastic exchange of information, as this is a feature of the site. Unfortunately this tends to result in a prominence of advice involving repairs and maintenance. Please do not let this lead you towards an unfortunate impression regarding that which is correctly, an excellent and classic vehicle.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 05-17-2007 at 01:28 AM.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:28 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
+1.

My SVX, even though I've only had it for a week and we're still getting to know one another, is more than jsut an A to B transportation to me. It means a lot more to me than that, which is a sentiment perhaps only understood by car-lovers. My Taurus was an A to B machine, but that's another story.

I don't like, and don't appreciate, someone dictating to me what my car is worth. I have friends who "know" cars, and try finding things out online about this wierd looking car I have. Of course, the first thing they find is "THE TRANSMISSIONS BLOW UP" in big block letters. The next time they talk to me, it's invariably to tell me I bought a worthless junker.

If you wish to comment on someone's For Sale post, please restrict it to things such as "good luck", or constructive questions. The SVX changes hands for shreds of money already. We're the people who love this car, let's not be the ones pushing the value down. Crushing it's value is what's lead to the plague of parts-scammers, people who think the SVX is worth more dead and stripped than running on the road.

I love my car, unique quirks, lack of cupholders and all, and I don't plan on parting with it for a long while.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 05-17-2007, 05:20 AM
Network Design Administrator

There is a Sticky Thread in the SVX Cars For Sale Forum that deals with this topic. Earle posted it a month or so ago. You should also know that I have made the Wanted/For Sale Forum my pet project as some of you may have seen.

Rest assured that when I see someone trying to complain about someones pricing, I contact them ASAP. With that, if any of you see a thread with this going on, by all means point it out to me. I have already sent a PM or two based on this rule. I even made a post in a particularly heated thread on the subject.

With that, I will be pointing the offending user in the above thread to the Sticky and making sure that they get the message.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:18 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Right!!

RIGHT! I vote for total censorship. Everyone should toe the line and only say what is nice and tidy. While some do go over the line once in a while (even me) and others are always negative, it hardly seems like an open forum site to restrict opinions.

I agree that it may not be "cricket" to post a good deal when someone lists a car for sale, but it is also hardly cricket for someone to join JUST with the intent of trying to take advantage of SVX lovers. I see nothing wrong with injecting a touch of reality as I have previously stated.

I always assumed this was a free forum permitting the exchange of thoughts, opinions, facts and experiences without undue censorship. Of course, things such as personal attacks, ethnic or racial slurs and blatantly illegal activities are valid censorship concerns.

Just my opinion again.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 05-17-2007, 10:12 AM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Seems to me a big concern with svx onwerns is that the car isnt woth anything when they finaly do need to part with it. So WHY on earth would they offer half (Or even considerably less than half) to someone who is selling? Dont you realize that YOU are lowering the car's book value by doing such? How much do you want the car anyway?
And of course, the asshat that offers 200$ for a running driving svx is going to be the first to ***** when they get into a parking lot incident and the car is totaled
Now, Ill be the first to admit I picked my cars up cheap as chips. My 96 lsi with 105k cost me 1400$...It needed a transmission (Which is no big deal) and had an R title. I was a bit skeptical about how well it'd drive...But once I did, I realized I STOLE this car. The body is all straight, and mnus some shoddy paintwork on the hood and bumper, its fine. I also picked up my 92 lsl with 168k for 1000...but that, once again, needed work. Transmission, exhaust, driveshaft, rear, and all the mounts for the above were MISSING. Needless to mention it's other minor problems, as they are pretty typical....
Now, the first person that decides 1000 is fair for a running driving car is out of it. I got mine so cheap because they were project cars, destined to go to the crusher, or rot in someones yard. I honestly wouldnt let either car go for less than 3,000...go ahead and tell me I deserve less, I dare you
Lastly...It seems to me the people who say the car is worth XXX amount are the people who ARENT EVEN IN THE MARKET for an svx, and usually have no intention of BUYING (another) one, even if the price is below THEIR suggsted retail. I mean seriously..If you arent buying an svx..and you arent selling an svx, dont even troll that section. It's NOT a used car garage sale (even if the car was garage kept) and if you have no intention of buying the car, it's ****ed up you'd even make an offer
-Eric
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 05-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Registered SVX
Market?

Well, to be honest, I was not really in the "market" to buy my last 3 SVXi. It just turned out that they were all too good a deal to turn down. Just like the Silver now in CA. I am not in the market, but seriously considered taking advantage of the cheap price. Well, until I did a detailed assessment of how much it was going to cost me to get it back here.

I just think some people do not consider the true value of "project" cars. They are NOT worth as much as good running cars. A car with a bad tranny is not worth $2500 unless it is an extremely low mileage car and in pristine condition other than the tranny. We all know what a good rebuilt tranny costs and such things as windshield replacement--and that subtracts from the overall value. It is just that some sellers don't think we know these things cost. I see nothing wrong with pointing out things like this. It has nothing to do with lowering the value of our cars--I suspect I love mine much more than most of these owners on here and will have it or them long after many of the members here have sold theirs and are gone.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 05-17-2007, 10:44 AM

The point here is, unless you are bartering for price (this should be done in private anyways), you are NOT contributing to the thread. If you think his price is too high, and you are not interested, then there is nothing for you to say. If he/she gets no response, he/she will realize the pricing issues over time, and lower the price. Thats for them to do, NOT you. Unless of course you are GENIUNELY interested in the car.

The Admins as a whole have discussed and agreed on this measure.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)

Old 05-17-2007, 11:09 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Registered SVX
Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX
The point here is, unless you are bartering for price (this should be done in private anyways), you are NOT contributing to the thread. If you think his price is too high, and you are not interested, then there is nothing for you to say. If he/she gets no response, he/she will realize the pricing issues over time, and lower the price. Thats for them to do, NOT you. Unless of course you are GENIUNELY interested in the car.

The Admins as a whole have discussed and agreed on this measure.
I disagree that comments should be restricted SOLELY to those interested in the specific car. For openers, prospective member buyers on here benefit from comments by other members concerning the relative value of a given car. This forum not only provides a service to SELLERS but also to potential buyers.

Also, sometimes it is not clear whether a person (including myself) is "genuinely" interested in the car. During the entire NORMAL process of give and take---such as true values pointed out, adjusted asking prices because of additional information and potential market comments---then the new interest may be generated.

Restrictions of this very normal market economy process is censorship----plain and simple.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 05-17-2007, 11:16 AM

Registered SVX
Hiya,

I agree negative veiws on price should be kept to ones's self or made in private, not in open forum, at the end of the day if you are not looking to purchase a said car then your veiws are pointless to a degree anyway.
If you think its cheap, buy it, if its too expensive for you, wait for the next 1 & keep your wallet & mouth closed, simple solution.

Quote:
I agree with the point made, i.e. when a member publishes data on a car for sale, it is hardly cricket (good sportsmanship), to follow up with posts which could influence the price in a negative way.
I think someone has a very short or selective memory on this subject & would refer them to a post I made a few weeks ago regarding a JDM VL left hand drive! I was slated over the price being asked for the car in Japan and also personal remarks of my business acumen.

Darren

11/94 SVX Alcyone, Mica Black, VL Spec 4WS, 71K Miles, 1 owner from new & was part of a private car collection in Japan.

Nissan R34 Skyline Stagea

91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo

1966 MGB Roadster, Tarten Red, Wire Wheels, Leather, 23K miles from new

You can tell the men from the boys from the speed of their toys.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:16 AM

Lee,
I think we all understand that you disagree with this. Either way, it's the rule. We only ask that you follow it.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:43 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Quote:
I was not really in the "market" to buy my last 3 SVXi. It just turned out that they were all too good a deal to turn down
And of all three svxi Ive owned, such is the case.Hell, i got my first one because it was the first car suggested to me when my cadillac died, and it was available for sale that weekend. Point is, if there's a good deal, take advantage of it, by all means. But that doesn't mean you have to harass owners to lower their price to tyr to make EVERY deal one similar to the once-in-a-lifetime bargian you may have recieved. Plain and simple. If your making a serious inquiry, or would like to let the owner know that they are asking far beyond market value (see your own statement on project cars) Do so in private, so as not to disrupt someone else from paying the (usually fair) asking price. Thats all the moderators, sellers, and other members are asking....
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 05-17-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
And of all three svxi Ive owned, such is the case.Hell, i got my first one because it was the first car suggested to me when my cadillac died, and it was available for sale that weekend. Point is, if there's a good deal, take advantage of it, by all means. But that doesn't mean you have to harass owners to lower their price to tyr to make EVERY deal one similar to the once-in-a-lifetime bargian you may have recieved. Plain and simple. If your making a serious inquiry, or would like to let the owner know that they are asking far beyond market value (see your own statement on project cars) Do so in private, so as not to disrupt someone else from paying the (usually fair) asking price. Thats all the moderators, sellers, and other members are asking....

I Love You.

Last edited by RSVX; 05-17-2007 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:20 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Looking around -

for another can of worms to open up!!
Old 05-17-2007, 01:33 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Registered SVX
Love It!!

I still say the for sale forum should benefit BOTH buyer and sellers. AND--based on my viewing of the cars for sale--I would say about 50% are priced realistically. Like a car with nearly 130K miles and a bad tranny is not worth nearly $5000. It is doing a disservice to the uneducated prospective buyer not to point out a few things. And, I still say that the majority of the buyers are longer term forum members while many sellers are just members for the selling advertisement.

Who should benefit most from forum thoughts, information and advice?? Long term member buyers or short term temporary sellers?

I do not believe that I have unduly "harassed" sellers in the past, but have possibly harrassed admin for my perception of unwarranted censorship and arbitrary actions simply because "they could".

Like "rules" are meant to be established realistically and reviewed for possible change. Like a General I once worked for said--"Don't do something stupid because of regulations or 'they'". I thought that was good advice.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Closed Thread