Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Suspension

Old 03-25-2007, 07:01 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Spacer and studs for the front strut mount

I'd like to raise the front of the racer 1.25 inches or so. Right now we're too low as far as the control arms go (we've got the totally wrong angle as we're going up as we go out). Would like to get it to exactly even to start. Right now I have some washers between the mount and where it goes into the strut tower (enough so we barely have the nut threaded onto the 3 mount studs). Looking to put a spacer in there that is 1.25 inches high so it would need to have its own studs on it and a way to attache the existing mount studs to it. Don't wanna weld something on as we go through struts and mounts pretty quickly. Any ideas out there? Would love to find something that would work already out there in steel doughnut land as I don't have a machine shop in the garage.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:53 PM

Registered SVX
I'll confess to not knowing much about your specific setup, but are you using factory shocks, or aftermarket coil overs?

Matt
Old 03-25-2007, 07:56 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
I'd like to raise the front of the racer 1.25 inches or so. Right now we're too low as far as the control arms go (we've got the totally wrong angle as we're going up as we go out). Would like to get it to exactly even to start. Right now I have some washers between the mount and where it goes into the strut tower (enough so we barely have the nut threaded onto the 3 mount studs). Looking to put a spacer in there that is 1.25 inches high so it would need to have its own studs on it and a way to attache the existing mount studs to it. Don't wanna weld something on as we go through struts and mounts pretty quickly. Any ideas out there? Would love to find something that would work already out there in steel doughnut land as I don't have a machine shop in the garage.

Ben,
why not use a 1 or 1.25 inch wheel spacer from a 4 bolt import - just find one with a bolt circle slightly larger that the "bolt circle" the strut bolts lie on.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 03-26-2007, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomatt
I'll confess to not knowing much about your specific setup, but are you using factory shocks, or aftermarket coil overs?

Matt
Crappyhole Koni's up front, Impreza fronts in the rear. progressive K&B impreza springs.

Bill, there are 3 studs and remember they are less than an inch in lenth.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:33 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Crappyhole Koni's up front, Impreza fronts in the rear. progressive K&B impreza springs.

Bill, there are 3 studs and remember they are less than an inch in lenth.

Ben,
Okay, so drill through holes for the studs and counter sink them so you can put a nut on each one (1/4 inch deep counter sink) and only use 3 of the 4 wheel studs..
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 03-26-2007, 09:41 AM

I see where you're going now Bill. Problem is they won't be a doughnut and won't fit in there. Remember its not a lot of room inside there. Look at a top mount. You'll see the trouble.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:17 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
I see where you're going now Bill. Problem is they won't be a doughnut and won't fit in there. Remember its not a lot of room inside there. Look at a top mount. You'll see the trouble.

Ben,
Yeah, you're right. How about this - drop me a PM with the dimensions of what you need and I'll talk to Sean about machining something up. I'm thinking something along the lines of "OD = X, ID = Y, 1.25" thick, three countersunk through holes Z dia with Q dia CS on a V BS, one every T degrees, three countersunk through holes Z dia with Q dia CS on a V BS, one every T+A degrees" The thing is is that you'll either want to weld the new bolts in or use splined studs that you can draw into the spacer.
-Bill

My Locker
Old 03-26-2007, 11:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
I have a parts car you can have if you hall it away. You just need a trailer and some wheels and tires. It was totaled in a rearend collision. I picked it up for the motor. It's now missing the engine, tranny, wheels, and most of the interior. I also have a flow master exhaust you can have. It's all one piece, bolts up to the factory Y-Cat.

(Ok, so that has nothing to do with your problem, I just need to clean up the parents garage before I move to Las Vegas)

Last edited by mikecg; 03-26-2007 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:14 PM

Registered SVX
Here in Australia, you can order higher springs? They are factory dimensioned springs, but just sit the car 1" or so higher. Would that help? Is it too low because you've cut the springs?

They would probably be line ball with making a spacer for the strut in terms of cost.

M
Old 03-27-2007, 07:24 AM

Dyno, we've moved to Impreza crap so the fitment just isn't quite right. We like the springs as far as strenth and rebound. They're just a hair too low. The standard stock strots were about 2 inches too high when we dieted.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:39 PM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

Quote:
Dyno, we've moved to Impreza crap so the fitment just isn't quite right. We like the springs as far as strenth and rebound. They're just a hair too low. The standard stock strots were about 2 inches too high when we dieted.
Assuming you're using 2.5" diameter springs, and that the shocks are long enough, you might just want to look at a spring spacer or helper spring. Instead of fussing with a crazy top mount spacer, just lift the car at the spring w/o actually changing the length/rate of the spring.

If you get one soft enough, it's designed to have no rate effect unless you're jumping the car or something crazy. check with the guys at www.ground-control.com, they've helped me w/ some crazy custom spring issues on my WRX back in the day.

But this all depends on whether or not the strut under the spring can operate 1.5" longer... If it's maxed out you either need to lengthen the lower bracket or space the top mount like you're trying to.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:48 PM

Spring spacers aren't legal in any sactioned race org that I know of, probably for good reason as what happens when you pop one out or break it mid corner at speed besides, we need all 4 inches of spring to spring so we maintain somewhat of a shock absorber over bumps. Cars tend to get unsettled without enough suspension travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Assuming you're using 2.5" diameter springs, and that the shocks are long enough, you might just want to look at a spring spacer or helper spring. Instead of fussing with a crazy top mount spacer, just lift the car at the spring w/o actually changing the length/rate of the spring.

If you get one soft enough, it's designed to have no rate effect unless you're jumping the car or something crazy. check with the guys at www.ground-control.com, they've helped me w/ some crazy custom spring issues on my WRX back in the day.

But this all depends on whether or not the strut under the spring can operate 1.5" longer... If it's maxed out you either need to lengthen the lower bracket or space the top mount like you're trying to.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:09 PM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

Quote:
Spring spacers aren't legal in any sactioned race org that I know of, probably for good reason as what happens when you pop one out or break it mid corner at speed besides, we need all 4 inches of spring to spring so we maintain somewhat of a shock absorber over bumps. Cars tend to get unsettled without enough suspension travel.
I think you're not understanding what this is... it's not a "spring rubber" or something jammed into the spring a la NASCAR... it's a tender spring that's in line with the main spring. Many people use them to get progressive rates, but the specific spring I posted is design to completely bottom out under normal conditions so it acts like a spacer in that it doesn't change overall rate any from that of the main spring.

For example:

and

Note the top tender/helper spring and the lower main spring. They're plenty legal, in fact many coilover setups come that way from the factory.

Additionally, this will not reduce or limit your existing travel. I'm assuming that you can't raise your lower spring perch any to raise the car, so this is an alternative that works similarly. The only issue is maxing out the droop travel of the strut... if you're already at full droop with your current springs, then you won't be able to use this method to raise the car.

Ideally, you should just get a new set of front springs in the correct length at the same rate you're currently running. I've got like 6 sets of springs from my old WRX Koni setup in variouse lengths and rates... let me know what you need, I might just have the stuff:

Old 03-27-2007, 03:57 PM

No I understand ya correctly, its NOT legal in NASA or SCCA racing at least in prepared and production classing as it stated planly that you can't use spacers of any kind that aren't speced from factory.

As I said we're very happy with the set up. Just need about an inch to make it perfect.

Of course new springs would be a solution but it would also be a costlier solution. Keep in mind I'm married and have a wife who pays for my racing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
I think you're not understanding what this is... it's not a "spring rubber" or something jammed into the spring a la NASCAR... it's a tender spring that's in line with the main spring. Many people use them to get progressive rates, but the specific spring I posted is design to completely bottom out under normal conditions so it acts like a spacer in that it doesn't change overall rate any from that of the main spring.

For example:

and

Note the top tender/helper spring and the lower main spring. They're plenty legal, in fact many coilover setups come that way from the factory.

Additionally, this will not reduce or limit your existing travel. I'm assuming that you can't raise your lower spring perch any to raise the car, so this is an alternative that works similarly. The only issue is maxing out the droop travel of the strut... if you're already at full droop with your current springs, then you won't be able to use this method to raise the car.

Ideally, you should just get a new set of front springs in the correct length at the same rate you're currently running. I've got like 6 sets of springs from my old WRX Koni setup in variouse lengths and rates... let me know what you need, I might just have the stuff:

Old 03-27-2007, 06:28 PM

your wife pays your way?
kewwwwlllll
lol
i think my rally team name will be "team overdraft"

(my first speech will be........."i d like to thank my sponsor...VISA !!!........"
lmao.........

rob

92 ebony 4.44's rock !!