SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2006, 12:45 PM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Unhappy New problem with my car....??

Hi,

After a long time, my car started giving me new problem. Last week, one day my battery went down low (Steering, battery, stop lamp, brake, ABS lights in the dash board came on). I tried to start it in evening and it started, but when I try to give it some gas it started to die slowly even I am giving it gas. When I try to start it again, it just started giving clicking sound. So I jump started it with my Alfa and it started right back again, so I thought it was a classic battery problem.

Again this weekend me and my buddy (92svx95) planned to change the cam, oil and crank seals and thought I would have my battery load checked and went to autozone, there they said tht it is very low in charge. So since its already 4 years of its use we got a new battery. But, the lights were still there, but the strange thing is now the lights go off only between 1750rpms to 2000rpms. Then we swapped the alternators from his car (brand new one) and the lights went off, but this time we didn't test drive it. So, we got a new alternator for my svx too and didn't installed it as we thought we will once we are done with the seals. So, the seals are installed and the new alternator is in. Now I have my lights on again. But this time, they are not going off at those rpms, but they go off randomly. They stay on most of the time and they go off slowly when I reach 6k rpms. Sometimes the abs light goes off while the others are on and sometimes it blinks and sometime it stays on.

Any ideas wht going on here....??

thanks,
-Pavan
Old 11-20-2006, 08:01 AM

Just a thought, what was your altanator mod? Maybe try removing it to see if it is the culprut?
-=SM
Old 11-20-2006, 08:19 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
If the dash lights are coming on then the diodes in the alternator have failed. A bench test for bad diodes will confirm this. Resolved by having the rectifier replaced.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_Myst
Just a thought, what was your altanator mod? Maybe try removing it to see if it is the culprut?
-=SM
I have removed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
If the dash lights are coming on then the diodes in the alternator have failed. A bench test for bad diodes will confirm this. Resolved by having the rectifier replaced.
But mine is doing it with a new alternator too. I have checked with 3 alternators along with my stock one.

-Pavan.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:01 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
Correct.

My nephew had the same light problems and got a rebuilt alternator from AutoZone. After driving a very short distance---same lights on problem with the new one. End result was that the newly rebuilt alternator was bad also.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 11-22-2006, 07:14 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Have them check the regulator, rectifier and wiring between the battery and alternator. Also check that the alternator belt is not slipping.

Last edited by dannmarr; 11-22-2006 at 07:18 AM.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:25 AM

Registered SVX
The dash indicator lights test circuit, incorporates blocking diodes to eliminate a sneak circuit which would otherwise exist. In an event involving faults within the alternator rectifier network, alternating current is induced on line. The result is pulses of reverse voltage, which pass the blocking diodes in the test circuit and energise the indicator lights.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 11-23-2006, 09:06 AM

Bad ground?

Try checking the ground that is in front of the battery, where the battery lays. Mine was loose and corroded. I cleaned it up and it fixed all my electrical/lights on problem.
Hope this helps.

Ken
Old 11-26-2006, 09:57 PM

Ok here is a clip of the problem.... check that the lights go off when I rev it up... I will check with Ken92SVX suggestion, becos I know that mine is also corroded, but I am not sure thats causing this.. but we never know..

Video Clip

thanks,
-Pavan
Old 12-13-2006, 11:56 PM

I had a problem just like this 2 times with 2 diffrent problems. THe first time it was my harmonic balancer going bad...so it would free spin sime times. then about a month later the alt. that I bought at advance thinking it was the problem the first time took a crap...I got 2 bad alts. before they gave me a good one....I ended up taking a old svx alt to a shop and had it rebuilt and it has been all good ever since.... hope this helps
Old 12-14-2006, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crotchrocketony
I had a problem just like this 2 times with 2 diffrent problems. THe first time it was my harmonic balancer going bad...so it would free spin sime times. then about a month later the alt. that I bought at advance thinking it was the problem the first time took a crap...I got 2 bad alts. before they gave me a good one....I ended up taking a old svx alt to a shop and had it rebuilt and it has been all good ever since.... hope this helps
Thanks for your info... I still have to check my new alt.. maybe this weekend hopefully...

-Pavan
Old 12-16-2006, 03:24 PM
Proud SVXer

I'm also having the exact same problem as Pav (it's amazing how far one can drive on just a battery ) I'm thinking that its more then just the diodes though because when I check voltage at the alt. output it is only battery voltage which leads me to believe that the voltage regulator goes out shortly after the diodes fail.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:40 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtriding
I'm also having the exact same problem as Pav (it's amazing how far one can drive on just a battery ) I'm thinking that its more then just the diodes though because when I check voltage at the alt. output it is only battery voltage which leads me to believe that the voltage regulator goes out shortly after the diodes fail.
Open diodes completely interrupt the charging circuit and are often the cause of a charging fault. i.e. not charging.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 12-16-2006, 04:17 PM
Proud SVXer

Now if I could just find a rebuild kit....... Every auto place just wants to sell you a rebuilt.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:46 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtriding
Now if I could just find a rebuild kit....... Every auto place just wants to sell you a rebuilt.
If you are a TRUE handyman and are can solder properly the fix is not all that difficult. Google alternators for info and you will be on track.