Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2006, 09:33 AM
mean.green.machine

Rear Wheel Bearings

I know there have been a zillion posts about this but I havent found one that really addresses how to remove and replace a wheel bearing.

Here's my situation: I have a droning noise coming from the rear of my car. Its not real loud YET. I thought it might be my tires, but last night I put the mounted snows on the back and took a drive and the noise is still there. So I'm thinking maybe wheel bearings. I thought I would first remove and regrease them before replacing them. My thinking is that since the noise isnt that loud, maybe the bearings can be saved. Is the removal something that requires some special tool? I ask because I've done wheel bearings before on another car and it wasnt that difficult - removed the HUB cap, took out a cotter pin, removed seals and bearing, etc. But so much of what I've read implies that this is very difficult and maybe should be left to a mechanic - info on some kind of press or hub tamer needs to be used - and I'm not clear if one of these is required to remove the bearings from the hub, or for some other purpose.

I was kind of hoping that I could just remove the bearings, regrease, and reinstall. Is it alot more difficult than than? Sorry if this has been asked before, but I really didnt see much on the detail on the actual removal and replacement of them. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:42 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
Go to the How-To documents above and select "body and Chassis"...theres some information on removing the bearing. I've never done it, but there are torque requirements and also advises you to purchase a new axle nut.
I personally would put new bearings in - repacked with better grease that is - since you are taking all the time to get the bearings out.

maybe someone could chime in about the proper tools to use.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
if they are making noise they cant be saved i would recomend leaving it up to a mechanic because i have done a buch of bearings and i still think these are the one of the biggest PITA's
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 08-24-2006, 10:15 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
If you can remove the knuckle (bearing housing) & provide a new bearing, I know a local (Hanover, MD area) shop that will re-pack & press in the new bearing for around $50.00 (Last year's price). Let me know if interested.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:42 AM
mean.green.machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mummert
If you can remove the knuckle (bearing housing) & provide a new bearing, I know a local (Hanover, MD area) shop that will re-pack & press in the new bearing for around $50.00 (Last year's price). Let me know if interested.

Ron.
Ron, thanks for the offer, I might take you up on it. I thought I might first give this a try myself, but after reading about how its done in one of the How To documents, I've decided I really would rather have a mechanic do it. I called a highly recommeneded Subaru shop (Heritage Subaru in Owings Mills) and they wanted $900 for it (for the rear). That seems awfully high, so for now I'm shopping around. For $900, it would make sense for me to buy a hub tamer and do it myself. If the other quotes are that high, than I might try it myself and either buy the hub tamer or take you up on your offer.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to pipedream
$900 seems out of control, but also in the ball park of what a dealership will charge..

I just had my front bearing replaced with a new bearing, and it cost me $200 bucks at my mechanic...
Old 08-25-2006, 05:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to wannarace928 Send a message via Yahoo to wannarace928
Classic SVX
If you can take the hub assembly off, buy the bearings and find a local pep boys, they will usually press in the new bearings for you for around 40-60$ a bearing. We did this a few times on a legacy we used to have. Saves some money on labor. Sometimes a mechanic will do it if you use their bearings, they sometimes jack up the price on them though. We used to pay something around 75$ a bearing for our subaru legacy....... I have not yet priced them on my SVX, but I will probably be doing some soon too. I have a noise coming from the rear of my car as well. I bought a press a long while ago, its not too bad to do them yourself. Only bad thing about going to pepboys, they will not guantee the work unless they take the hub off the car (at least thats what our local one does) but we never had any problems.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to pipedream
svx bearings should be around 90 bucks i think. thats what i paid...