How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-13-2006, 02:10 AM

Registered SVX
Bs

Great to, see that there are some wise brains in action here.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-13-2006, 08:20 AM
<<<Alcyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S.
On that note I noticed my engine ran much smoother and my belt stopped the light squealing today over the first 25 miles.
I thought this discussion was about using the acetone internally not externally?

Dan
Old 05-13-2006, 08:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
You can't be trying to imply that the acetone somehow migrated from the fuel system to the front of the engine and lubricated the squealing belt.

KuoH

Quote:
On that note I noticed my engine ran much smoother and my belt stopped the light squealing today over the first 25 miles.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:47 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuoh
You can't be trying to imply that the acetone somehow migrated from the fuel system to the front of the engine and lubricated the squealing belt.
KuoH

Pure satire.

In reality I think it was an interesting coincidence, but I leave it at that.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:50 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Pick Your Poison

I've always wondered about that 'good gas/bad gas' thing. Just how many supplying refineries do people think are in their immediate area? If you're lucky maybe one, two at the most. Do you think they really feel much competition from one another? Come on now, where's the other conspiracy theory? You know, the one where they're all in collusion and price-gouging us? Or are the station owners not completely filling their storage tanks with gas... maybe only 2/3 full and then calling Revlon to top them off?

In regards to the "well, if it helps emissions..." angle: Check into the change in polar region ice pack core samples since the '70's - when catalytic convertors were introduced. It seems the samples are showing significant rises in heavy metals, something that was all but non-existant prior to catalytic convertors. So, we have reduced all these little nasty emissions of CO, HC, Lb & NOx but we did it by trading for heavy metal poisoning. Now, when people begin tampering with fuel blends we'll have heavy metal poisoning PLUS the return of the original pollutants.
Oh, great...
Old 05-13-2006, 12:10 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
Just how many supplying refineries do people think are in their immediate area?
I can answer that for Alaska.

Zero.

All of our fuel is imported from refineries in the lower 48, which is why we don't get Premium grade anymore.

$$$

Old 05-13-2006, 03:16 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
I live in a pretty major area here in Akron, And I notice a difference in my mileage between brands and octane alot around here. Sunoco 94 is ultimately the best I've found so far, followed by believe it or not, Sheetz 93. My mileage pretty much sucks on everything else around here though. I got 300 miles to this tank of premium with 5 ozs. Acetone But due to the circumstances at the time, I used an off brand gas station due to it was so cheap(that's the tank I got for 4 dollars) and I blame the poor mileage on that and the fact my crank pulley detonated again and in the days before it did, it was knocking and making my timing retard. But that's another story in another thread.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:06 PM
<<<Alcyone

Quote:
I was thinking about that this morning, and what I thought was, the people doing this test and handing in the results were using cheap or poor quality fuel, have mismanaged their tune-ups and general have little knowledge of what's going on under their own hood.
I imagine an older vehicle in poorly running condition might yeild a noticeable improvement in switching to "the best gas in your area" as the directions require, and some solvent action. Someone trying to keep an eye on their fuel gauge might be more cautious during this testing phase as well so I believe the results are real, but the method more orthodox than plainly revealed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budfreak
I live in a pretty major area here in Akron, And I notice a difference in my mileage between brands and octane alot around here. Sunoco 94 is ultimately the best I've found so far, followed by believe it or not, Sheetz 93. My mileage pretty much sucks on everything else around here though. I got 300 miles to this tank of premium with 5 ozs. Acetone But due to the circumstances at the time, I used an off brand gas station due to it was so cheap(that's the tank I got for 4 dollars) and I blame the poor mileage on that and the fact my crank pulley detonated again and in the days before it did, it was knocking and making my timing retard. But that's another story in another thread.
I see we're definitely getting quite a bit of variance in the outcome of the testing.

The acetone fixed NikFu S.'s belt squeal (possibly tied into the crank pulley) but it caused Budfreak's pulley to explode.

This is starting to sound like a cure-all and kill-all at the same time. I think I'm going to wait until I see more conclusive evidence before I test it in one of my cars . . .

Dan
Old 05-14-2006, 09:47 AM

Thats Ironic

Nick,

you guys have to import fuel from the lower 48? buy from canada!! worse yet, dont you guys drill the oil?
Old 05-14-2006, 09:59 AM

On the Fuel issue.

Chemically, Acetone is just to volatile and unstable. I know ethanol is used because of it being one degree cousins to octane. Plus it makes them detonate at the same temp and pressure. Acetone on the other hand just evaporates/reacts even in room temp. I know fuel does too but its much more stable and takes more than acetone. IMHO, if we run premium.... why contaminate? I know the "fillers" they use to expand fuels are actually water inits many forms. believe it or not, they are up to 5% in the form of Benzyne and Propane (or propanol) chains, which are the other cousins of octane too. The product of combustion is always water and co2. I believe NOX emissions are really from poor air/fuel to ratio mix. Fuel is secondary in my opinion.

I have found BP in my area to give me the best mpg, i used shell and citgo and i was disappointed. BP gave me 19mpg highway while shell and citgo gave 17 and 16.5 respectively.

Thanks, just my thoughts
Old 05-14-2006, 01:27 PM

Acetone in gas debate...

I tried it with my last tank. I had about 60 miles on the tank (of Chevron gas) when I added the acetone. I picked up a 1 gallon gas container, filled it up with gas, added approx. 2 oz of acetone, shook it up and added it to the tank. I did a combination highway and city driving on the tank, and the gas mileage worked out to be close to 21mpg. This is slightly better than usual, but could be due to the Chevron gas. I put 3 oz in my current tank (measured) but am using Exxon gas. I will report the findings again.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:19 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnknightomega6
Nick,

you guys have to import fuel from the lower 48? buy from canada!! worse yet, dont you guys drill the oil?
Gas would be really cheap and the oil companies would lose profit if we had our own refineries.
The relationship between oil and State is always teetering on the brink.
Right now they are whining and *****ing about a tax proposal, saying they invest so much money in our state that it's wrong to tax them when they are turning out record profits day by day.

They are so shady. They made their own proposal, that if we were to agree to it, would make them untaxable for 45 years, and pretty much untouchable and they wouldn't have to do anything.

The deal we currently have is they are allowed to drill for oil here, but they have to produce. They can't just sit on the land, driving up demand and consequently profits.

It's getting close to the point if big oil doesn't shape up, we will consider them breaking the contract and boot them out of the state. There are plenty of smaller oil companies willing to take their place.

The difficult part is, our governor Murkowski is standing right beside them. He doesn't give a flying **** about the people or the state.

Old 05-15-2006, 05:55 AM

The never-ending debate over whether or not there exists some vile, foamy liquid that can be added to motor fuel with positive effect reminds me of a comic sketch from a few years back. The comedian called to attention the notice on a tube of "Preparation H" that is was not to be taken internally and said:

"You know, somebody, somewhere is reading that and thinking, 'Hmm... I wonder how this would taste on a cracker.' "

dcb
Old 05-15-2006, 04:14 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Pita

Of course they may have been more concerned about it being accidently forced internally by a ... uh, o.k., I'll leave this one go...

I think most will agree that there is absolutely no way to duplicate an 'on-road' mpg trial, especially when it comes to what would be a fractionally insignificant difference. So, instead of risking screwing up a sensor or something potentially expensive, why not just dedicate yourself to buying your gas in the morning, when the fuel is at it's coolest/most dense? (hint: gas is sold by volume, not weight.)(shhh... don't tell 'em that it usually stays close to the same temp, year 'round in the ground.) I'd be willing to bet you find a larger return without risk or additional expense. You might even save $2-$3/year!

But think of the money you won't blow by adding a solvent to your system that could weaken your already aged fuel pressure regulator diaphragm to the point of leakage and all the extra fuel you'll use as a result, not to mention the contamination of the engine oil which will wash the lubrication from the cylinder walls and reduce the oil viscosity to the point that it no longer protects bearing surfaces adequately.... My point is that there could be unforseen consequences and I'm just trying to give ya's a heads-up.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:49 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
Of course they may have been more concerned about it being accidently forced internally by a ... uh, o.k., I'll leave this one go...

I think most will agree that there is absolutely no way to duplicate an 'on-road' mpg trial, especially when it comes to what would be a fractionally insignificant difference. So, instead of risking screwing up a sensor or something potentially expensive, why not just dedicate yourself to buying your gas in the morning, when the fuel is at it's coolest/most dense? (hint: gas is sold by volume, not weight.)(shhh... don't tell 'em that it usually stays close to the same temp, year 'round in the ground.) I'd be willing to bet you find a larger return without risk or additional expense. You might even save $2-$3/year!

But think of the money you won't blow by adding a solvent to your system that could weaken your already aged fuel pressure regulator diaphragm to the point of leakage and all the extra fuel you'll use as a result, not to mention the contamination of the engine oil which will wash the lubrication from the cylinder walls and reduce the oil viscosity to the point that it no longer protects bearing surfaces adequately.... My point is that there could be unforseen consequences and I'm just trying to give ya's a heads-up.
I quote the above knowing that Chris must support the extra, but being sure that all will be advantaged through taking notice of some very sound, logical advice.

My regret is that Beav does not post more often.

Cheers to Beav, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!