Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-06-2006, 08:59 PM

Danger, Will Robinson, Danger!!!

Pay careful attention to the older and wiser owners. It ain't no sports car. It's a GT...as in Grand Touring. It is also a rare premium Japanese car at least 14 yrs old. So if you bought one today that was brand new, you'd probably have rubber stuff to replace. Brand new OEM struts have been known to leak shortly after installation because the seals have deteriorated while on the shelf for 14 yrs!

I quote some sage advice:
"Also, it sounds like you may not have a bunch of extra $$$$ sitting around. Be aware that it is not unusual for an SVX owner to put the entire market value of the SVX into their car in maintentance and repairs within 1-2 years."

That would be me, among others,
WGJ

There are guys like Tom who are gifted mechanics that really enjoy modifying and improving their SVXs. If you're not a skilled mechanic with tools and a place to work on your SVX with a spare ride to use while your SVX is down, keep it stock and appreciate it for what it is...an all weather, high speed, Grand Touring car.

Last edited by WGJ; 04-06-2006 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to Duckie
If you want an svx for a sports car which there is NOTHING wrong with, then you need to realize a few things. Firstly, this is not a pure bred sports car, its not a s2000, it is not a miata, it is not a porsche, it is heavy. You do have to put a lot of money to maintaining the SVX and modding it will only make it worse no matter how reliable the mod is. The SVX won't be fast in 1/4 EVER...for the money I have spent on my SVX I could have built a 10 second car, or a very nice track car. Putting that aside though, what is wrong with adding horse power to a GT vehicle? There is no rule they can't have a good chunk of horse. Look at bently, BMW, etc.

The SVX can be looked at a few ways. First you can look at it as a vehicle that your going to dump money into making perfect to have as great stock driver (which will depreciate and depreciate thus making it a bad investment. But according to a good chunk of people on here, at least the car would be serving its original purpose). The next view would be the tunmers view on the car. You will spend oodles of money putting money into a nice car that will be outrun by significantly cheaper cars (just like I can show you a dozen videos of 5000 dollar miatas with 1000 dollars in mods runninc circles around brand new 80000 porsches on a track) and it WILL be a money sink. The final view is that the car is a wonderful investment. If you were to track down a low mileage one and keep it in perfect mechanical and cosmetic order it would be worth a hefty sum in a few years down the road. The SVX is predicted to appreciate in Value greatly because of its rarity, unique design, and frankly because it was just a great car. Technically in, my eyes, that is the only thing any of us should be doing...but that doesn't stop me from doing the wrong thing and making the SVX into the machine that I want it to be...why should it, after all it is MY car and anything I do is for my own taste.

Last edited by Duckie; 04-07-2006 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Korean
I'm kind of tired of the "Impreza look"... I mean don't get me wrong... I like the Impreza, but I'm tired of the... I don't know what the word is sooo ::insert a word here::

I've wanted a SVX ever since I saw one on the road here in Evergreen, Colorado about 8 years ago. I've always like the way the body looked and the fact that it had a flat 6. I realize it is heavy and expensive to maintain/mod. That's perfectly fine with me. I do have a place to work on it... at my buddies new warehouse/garage. So that shouldn't be too difficult of a problem.

Hum, I guess I want something a little more high end and I will really only drive a Subaru. I've looked at the newer Subaru's like the Legacy GT and the STi, but 1. I can't afford something like that 2. Insurance would come and kill me literally because I've had quite a few tickets. I mean what can I say I like to drive fast every so often and everytime that I do... well ya bad things happen 3. I want something different than the majority of the Subaru people. I just want to drive something unqiue and totally different from the rest of the crowd.

Hope that all makes sense...

Korean
Old 04-07-2006, 03:12 PM

The insurance is VERY high on an SVX for anyone under 25, you have been warned.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:19 AM

Yes I just found this out the other night... apparently insurance considers it an exotic car... because they made so few...
Old 04-08-2006, 12:25 PM

Yeah, my insurance is flipping outrageous because of my age and the fact that I got into an accident that totaled my car and even though it wasn't my fault, you all know how insurance companies work.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:26 PM

How old are you?