Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2002, 11:05 PM

just having to deal with my mechanic, they think they nailed the problem. it is the box within the box that sits in the middle of the trans that turns the wheels hooked up to the speedo.... blah!!!!! i guess he explained it to me that way cuz i'm a girl. but what are you gonna do. now they are telling me that it is going to be a 3day job to get to the root of my problem... hopefully you don't have the same problem i do.. just thinking about it, i am going through withdrawl
goodluck
Old 02-25-2002, 11:08 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by SHISVX
just having to deal with my mechanic, they think they nailed the problem. it is the box within the box that sits in the middle of the trans that turns the wheels hooked up to the speedo.... blah!!!!! i guess he explained it to me that way cuz i'm a girl. but what are you gonna do. now they are telling me that it is going to be a 3day job to get to the root of my problem... hopefully you don't have the same problem i do.. just thinking about it, i am going through withdrawl
goodluck
I'm trying to figure out in my head what the real intepretation of that "girl explination" version of the problem. I think they might be referring to the VSS. Beav or aredub, any thoughts?

-Mike
Old 02-25-2002, 11:19 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I'm with you, I'd be checking the output from the VSS (actually I would have checked that before ordering in a speedo head.)

I'd seriously consider telling them to put the old speedo back in and getting the car as far away from them as possible. If you feel like they're patronizing you now, wait until they start explaining the bill to you. I'm sorry but there's absolutlely no reason for anyone to treat their customers like that.

A quick course on electric speedos: A gear driven sending unit in the transmission sends an electric impulse to the speedo head which is converted into needle motion. First item to check when confronted with an inop electric speedo is the output from that sensor (VSS - vehicle speed sensor.) If there is a signal, recheck it at the speedo, if it still has a signal replace the speedo head.

If there was no signal from the VSS, remove it and check it for a signal by turning it by hand. If you get a signal now there's a problem with the portion of the transmission that spins the sensor. If no signal is present when spun by hand replace the sensor. It's pretty much cut and dried. Then again I'm assuming they've taken the time to check the fuse and wiring.

Beav

Last edited by Beav; 02-25-2002 at 11:22 PM.
Old 02-26-2002, 06:11 AM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Send a message via AIM to MoreIBNR
Where in Jersey are you and what dealer are you dealing with?
Old 02-26-2002, 08:52 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
now they are telling me that it is going to be a 3day job to get to the root of my problem... hopefully you don't have the same problem i do.. just thinking about it, i am going through withdrawl
Take heart! I'm on day 21 without my car.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 02-26-2002, 11:49 AM

Aredubjay-i pity you... that is worse than pulling the JD from the alcoholic

MoreIBNR-i live in warren county NJ. i live by hackettstown, mansfield, and washington-about 30 mins from easton, PA

about about my blabber-auto guys see girl and automatically think car stupid. i can't help it that junk is what they told me
Old 02-26-2002, 11:52 AM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
I'm with you, I'd be checking the output from the VSS (actually I would have checked that before ordering in a speedo head.)

I'd seriously consider telling them to put the old speedo back in and getting the car as far away from them as possible. If you feel like they're patronizing you now, wait until they start explaining the bill to you. I'm sorry but there's absolutlely no reason for anyone to treat their customers like that.

A quick course on electric speedos: A gear driven sending unit in the transmission sends an electric impulse to the speedo head which is converted into needle motion. First item to check when confronted with an inop electric speedo is the output from that sensor (VSS - vehicle speed sensor.) If there is a signal, recheck it at the speedo, if it still has a signal replace the speedo head.

If there was no signal from the VSS, remove it and check it for a signal by turning it by hand. If you get a signal now there's a problem with the portion of the transmission that spins the sensor. If no signal is present when spun by hand replace the sensor. It's pretty much cut and dried. Then again I'm assuming they've taken the time to check the fuse and wiring.

Beav
Beav -
Wonderful explination. I feel like an expert now. Thanks buddy.

-Mike
Old 02-26-2002, 09:13 PM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Send a message via AIM to MoreIBNR
Quote:
Aredubjay-i pity you... that is worse than pulling the JD from the alcoholic

MoreIBNR-i live in warren county NJ. i live by hackettstown, mansfield, and washington-about 30 mins from easton, PA

about about my blabber-auto guys see girl and automatically think car stupid. i can't help it that junk is what they told me
I'm in Randolph, about 30-40 minutes from Hackettestown. SVX_Commuter is in Port Murray.

We'll have to arrange for a mini-meet sometime.
Old 02-27-2002, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MoreIBNR

I'm in Randolph, about 30-40 minutes from Hackettestown. SVX_Commuter is in Port Murray.

We'll have to arrange for a mini-meet sometime.
i got a friend in califon with a svx too. what color is SVX_Commuter's car, i've seen a burgandy and a grey one in hackettstown. my friend and i both have pearl but mine has a spoiler, his don't. i don't see why not? if the two of you are going to the meeting in PA in april, we can march on down together! just let me know.

Kelli
Old 02-27-2002, 12:31 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:

i got a friend in califon with a svx too. what color is SVX_Commuter's car, i've seen a burgandy and a grey one in hackettstown. my friend and i both have pearl but mine has a spoiler, his don't. i don't see why not? if the two of you are going to the meeting in PA in april, we can march on down together! just let me know.

Kelli
My car was originally sold in Hackettstown, PA.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 02-27-2002, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

My car was originally sold in Hackettstown, PA.
i'm talking Hackettstown NJ.... i didn't know that there was a Hackettstown PA. Where bouts in PA is it?

Kelli
Old 02-27-2002, 02:46 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:

i'm talking Hackettstown NJ.... i didn't know that there was a Hackettstown PA. Where bouts in PA is it?

Kelli
EEK, I may have mispoken. I have to look at my Carfax report again . . . when I get home. I thought it was Hackettstown. Oh well. So much for trying to be kindred.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 02-27-2002, 02:52 PM

Quote:

EEK, I may have mispoken. I have to look at my Carfax report again . . . when I get home. I thought it was Hackettstown. Oh well. So much for trying to be kindred.
no fault here silly! you're still the man

Kelli
Old 02-27-2002, 02:54 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:

no fault here silly! you're still the man

Kelli
BTW, does your friend's donor-mobile have a gray, in-great-shape, fabric panel for the sunroof. Mine has a nasty cigarette burn right in the middle from the previous owner. I've been trying to find a replacement. Just wondering.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 02-27-2002, 03:08 PM

Quote:

BTW, does your friend's donor-mobile have a gray, in-great-shape, fabric panel for the sunroof. Mine has a nasty cigarette burn right in the middle from the previous owner. I've been trying to find a replacement. Just wondering.
this past owner wasn't blessed with a higher intelligance was he? Anyways, i don't think he would mind parting with it, i can at least ask. so far, for myself i gonna get him for a driver side speaker(i blew mine-already!) an antenna (maybe) and the driver side lock thingy(don't ask, i know what it looks like at least ) so since he doesn't smoke, i don't see him having a problem with his at anytime. i'll just make sure it's grey for you. i should be meeting up with him on sunday after i'm off of work and i'll ask him then.

happy to try to help!
Kelli