Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-23-2005, 06:59 AM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
Question Torque converter shutter

Hello all. This is my second post thus far. I just recently purchased my 4th Sub, 92 SVX LSL Black, 115K. I'm in Atlanta but flew up to DC for this one and drove it home. What a cool car!

After 2 1/2 weeks in my garage, I replaced the high-pressure PS hose, A/C temp? sensor (post dryer), drivers side CV boots, passenger rear wheel bearing, and installed a BMM-70268 trans cooler in front of the A/C condenser. The car is perfect !!! Thanks for all the great postings. They were very helpful.

My question is ...
I've noticed that the torque converter shutters and has some difficulty disengaging going uphill at around 2000 rpm's. I've read a couple postings of folks with similar issues.

This happened before adding the trans cooler. This is not a transmission mount problem. If I give it more gas then I'd like, I can get the TC to unlock, shift into 4th, and continue on my merry way. I'm using the car as a daily driver and don't really want to accelerate hard every time the TC has issues.

Is there anyway to remedy this problem, fluid, adjustment, or otherwise. I'm planning on changing the trans fluid this week so I'll see if that helps? Any others that fixed this issue?
Old 08-23-2005, 01:44 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Changing the fluid should help. Any idea if this is the original tranny?

If the tranny was replaced it could be an installation issue. Also it could just be the u-joints on the driveshaft.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:05 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
You're sure its not the rear tranny mount? Its not uncommon for those things to deteriorate by 115k miles.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:28 AM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
Definately not sure if it is or isn't the rear mount. But the symptoms make me think it's not... only happens under load around 2000rpm in 4th after TC engages... I will definately check it though.

Forgive my ignorance. The U-joint connects the drive shaft to ...? What am I looking for...wobble...looseness?

Txs, Marc
Old 08-24-2005, 10:51 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcuseme
Forgive my ignorance. The U-joint connects the drive shaft to ...? What am I looking for...wobble...looseness?
There's a u-joint on each end of the driveshaft and either a CV joint or another u-joint in the middle of the shaft. They will either be loose or, more likely, seizing up.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:14 PM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
Forgot to mention. I'm the third owner... To my knowledge the trans has not been replaced so I'll rule out installation issue.

Thanks for the direction. I'll check it all out Thursday night.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:44 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Definately not sure if it is or isn't the rear mount. But the symptoms make me think it's not... only happens under load around 2000rpm in 4th after TC engages... I will definately check it though.

Txs, Marc
The fact that the shuddering occurs when the TC is locked is what makes me think its the rear tranny mount. Then the TC is unlocked, it can absorb torsional shock. When its locked, it cannot. Can you get under the car to get a look at rear tranny mount? You need to get a look at the rubber portion.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:08 AM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
Putting it on stands tonight . I'm going straight for the trannnie mount. Thanks for the info! I'll let you know what I find ...
Old 09-07-2005, 07:46 AM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
Allright. Put the car on stands in anticipation of checking the trans mounts, u-joints, changing the diff fluids, and changing the trans fluid. Got under and noticed both CV boots for passenger side were blown. Got those fix, dropped the trans pan, drained the trans fluid (7.5 quarts), cleaned the screen and pan, drained and filled the diffs.

I also inspected the trans mounts and u-joints. These look fine...no breaks tears looseness.

The new trans fluid helped a little. I used the Dextron-Mercon III. I definately noticed the shutter occuring less frequently. Regardless, I got on it yesterday and the trans slipped pretty bad between 1st and 2nd. My thought is that it's slowly aging and can't be pushed hard much longer. So...I drive it like my Grandmother

I'm pretty convinced my Shutter is the torque converter, no clue on the slipping. Any opinions on whether Chrysler ATF3 will help my situation?

Thanks
Old 09-07-2005, 10:08 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Go to your parts store and ask for Lube-Gard (or do a web search.) Tell them that you have TC shudder and they should be ablr to hook you up with the correct bottle. It fixes many tc shudder problems on other makes, in my experience.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:05 AM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
Thanks for your experience Beav. Just the kind of thing I wanted to here.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
Go to your parts store and ask for Lube-Gard (or do a web search.) Tell them that you have TC shudder and they should be ablr to hook you up with the correct bottle. It fixes many tc shudder problems on other makes, in my experience.
I've got the same shudder issue ONLY when the TC starts to lock up. I did try Lube-Gard, but it did not make any difference. These days there are times when the TC goes to lock up, shudder starts, and it feels like it didn't lock all the way cos i keep getting occasional shudders as i'm slowly accelerating.
When this happens, i usually put it into 3rd, accelerate to higher speeds and then put it back in 4th. The shudder seems to happen only when TC locks up around 50-60mph. Overall I have come to live with the problem. I guess i have accepted it is one of the quirks of our transmission.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:07 PM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
Thanks rbalach. Sounds like we have the same problem. You described it exactly! How long have you been driving it like this? I just got my SVX in August.

Also, anyone have experience using ATF3 (GM) trans fluid or any other suggestions?
Old 09-08-2005, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Thanks rbalach. Sounds like we have the same problem. You described it exactly! How long have you been driving it like this? I just got my SVX in August.

Also, anyone have experience using ATF3 (GM) trans fluid or any other suggestions?
Its been shuddering since last october. The weird thing is i noticed it after replacing the High Pressure Power Steering hose too. It does seem to have gotten slightly worse now compared to before. Not sure what to do other than live with it.

I had posted the problem i had back in october:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...hlight=rbalach
Old 09-09-2005, 08:23 AM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
Since I changed my fluid (drain and fill twice) I don't seem to be getting the Shutter. I think it just took some driving for the new fluid to work it's way in, since I did'nt do a flush. Good news and bad. I've noticed this 2-3 flare shifting thing people write about here.

I read some stuff about overfilling the ATF causing issues. Sure enough I overfilled. I drained 1 quart last night, drove around town, checked the level and it was just slightly below the low mark. I had no slipping and no shutter, even when I try to get the converter shutter...nothing !!!

I put about 12 ozs more ATF back in to bring the level almost to the top of the full mark. I got excited this morning with no slippage, however right before I got to the parking deck it did it twice... Darn! Anyway, I'm going to play with the level. If that does'nt fix it I'll look at cleaning the TPS. Also, just got the service manuals so hopefully they'llladd some value.

I have not put the LubeGard in yet as it seemed that the TC is funtioning O.K. now. There were two versions of the LubeGard, one was just a conditioner, red bottle, the other, the kind I got was in a black bottle and stated that it made Dextron/Mercon perform like a High Friction Modified fluid such as ATF3 or 4.