How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-03-2005, 11:32 PM
svxvixen

Tranny - Engine not engaged?

So, I'm loving the 92 with (according to the seller, but I cannot find mention in the service records) a transmission that was rebuilt approximately 10,000 miles ago. When I am in Drive and shift to 3rd, the engine goes to idle. I'm not real technical but in simple driver language, the car does not slow down. Does anyone know if this is normal and/or what might be the cause of this?

I appreciate any and all feedback.

Thanks!

svxvixen
Old 05-04-2005, 03:55 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Does your power light flash when you start the car?

This sounds like an issue with the transmission resistor located between the battery and the fender. If it's broken or disconnected it can cause this symptom.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:51 PM
svxvixen

Ack! The saga continues... Now what?

Thanks for your input Earthworm.

Yes, I'm saddened to say the power light flashes for approximately 9 seconds when I start the engine.

Of course all the owners manual offers is that the car should immediately be taken to the nearest Subaru dealer. Well, that's not exactly what it says but the meaning is the same.

If it is the resistor, is it possible my fairly mechanically competent boyfriend might be able to fix this?

Thanks again for any suggestions!

svxvixen
AKA: Maggie
Old 05-05-2005, 06:35 AM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxvixen
Thanks for your input Earthworm.

Yes, I'm saddened to say the power light flashes for approximately 9 seconds when I start the engine.

Of course all the owners manual offers is that the car should immediately be taken to the nearest Subaru dealer. Well, that's not exactly what it says but the meaning is the same.

If it is the resistor, is it possible my fairly mechanically competent boyfriend might be able to fix this?

Thanks again for any suggestions!

svxvixen

It's not the length of time that the light flashes that matters......it's the number of times it flashes. Next time you start your car, count the number of times the "Power" light flashes. That light does two things: it tells you when the transmission is in "Power" mode for maximum acceleration, and it also tells you about transmission problems...by flashing at startup. The number of flashes tells you what the problem is (somewhere around here is a chart of what the number of flashes mean).

Dave
Old 05-05-2005, 12:07 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Ok, I'll add that the power light will flash 16 times when you start the car. This is not the actual code but the notification that there is a code.

Follow the procedures in the codes section of http://svx-iw.com/ and that will tell you which code you are getting. When the resistor is bad or unplugged you will get code 11.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:04 PM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
Ok, I'll add that the power light will flash 16 times when you start the car. This is not the actual code but the notification that there is a code.

Follow the procedures in the codes section of http://svx-iw.com/ and that will tell you which code you are getting. When the resistor is bad or unplugged you will get code 11.

Ah yes.......I forgot that the flashes when starting are just to tell you there is a code.

Dave
Old 05-05-2005, 08:07 PM
svxvixen

Now what?

Thanks for the good information guys.

Here's where I am now....

The resistor is plugged in. Ran the TCU diagnosis test and it came back with code 11, One long flash and one short flash. According to the trouble codes this indicates a problem with the Duty Solenoid A.

I've searched through some of the old posts but can't find any that talk about replacing this part. But I did find a link on where to order one.

Does anyone know if this can be done at home?

My continued thanks for all your help.

svxvixen
Old 05-06-2005, 10:30 AM
Meow!

Your next step is to measure the resistance of that resistor.

It should be no more than 15 ohms. It's very likely yours is either shorted or the resistance is way out of spec.