Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Wheels / Tires

Old 12-29-2004, 06:40 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Thumbs up More winter mods...new wheels! 16 x 8 RX-7 cross-over rims!!!

Got these at a steal from a guy in Charlotte, NC. Four wheels from his '93 RX-7 along with some barely used, mounted and balanced 225/50 Dunlop Sport SP 8000's max performance summer tires. All for the killer price of $250.00 if I picked them up at his house.

These 16x8" wheels weigh 16lbs each and have a +50mm off-set and mount perfectly on the SVX hubs.

The previous stock wheels and all-season M+S Bridgestones I had weighed 47lbs each, while these new wheels and tires weigh 38lbs on the scale at his local UPS store. That's a total weight savings of 36lbs of unsprung weight.

With a 1/3 tank of gas my car previously weighed 3430lbs w/o driver. My car will now weigh ~3395lbs.

Wheels aren't that glamorous to look at, but the 5 spoke design does show off my red calipers more.

The Mazda center caps are still on the wheels, but when I get the chance I'll pop them off, sand off the logos and repaint them with some GM silver I have left over from when I touched up my SVX center caps on the old wheels.

Had to get some new lugs from Advance Auto as the stock SVX lugs have those spacers and stick out too much.

Will take some more pics of my car tomorrow when the light is better.

-Chike

P.S. I can't wait for the dragstrips to open. I have a Magnaflow muffler on order and I got in some sweet oval tips from them already! When the production phenolic spacers become available, they'll complete my Winter mods. Then my attention will turn to suspension and handling mods over the late Spring & Summer!

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)

Last edited by Chiketkd; 12-29-2004 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:43 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

looks better allready....i'm popping off the waterfall tomorrow to do some "stuff" to it

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 12-29-2004, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soobiesvx93
looks better allready....i'm popping off the waterfall tomorrow to do some "stuff" to it
You know, I almost got some Konig Traffik rims. Just before I was about to make the guy an offer on them, this deal arose and I couldn't pass it up.

I'd be interested to see what you do to the Waterfall grill tomorrow. Take pics if you can.

-Chike

Old 12-29-2004, 07:01 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd

You know, I almost got some Konig Traffik rims. Just before I was about to make the guy an offer on them, this deal arose and I couldn't pass it up.

You made a good choice. The car will actually handle better with the RX-7 rims.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:17 PM

Quote:

I'd be interested to see what you do to the Waterfall grill tomorrow. Take pics if you can.

-Chike
Where did ya find em? I cant find even pics of them anywhere! Ive only seen them on one other SVX and never on any other car. I have seen them on a red civic once painted white.

Old 12-29-2004, 07:17 PM

The traffiks look sweet on a red car when their nice and washed....they sparkle when the spokes are in motion

Old 12-29-2004, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko
...and the handling will be kicked up another notch once I get your 1" drop springs for $375 shipped! (will save up for that over the Spring/ early Summer)

-Chike

Old 12-29-2004, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soobiesvx93
Where did ya find em? I cant find even pics of them anywhere! Ive only seen them on one other SVX and never on any other car. I have seen them on a red civic once painted white.
As you may remember, I love all of the japanese supercars from the 90's. I occasionally check in on a forum for RX-7's (www.rx7club.com) and that's where I found both of these deals. I could have gotten the Konig Traffiks for ~$240 w/o tires.

-Chike

Old 12-29-2004, 07:26 PM

Re: More winter mods...new wheels! 16 x 8 RX-7 cross-over rims!!!

Quote:
Got these at a steal...snip...
at that price I hope you at least bought him a beer or equivalent. I looked around here once upon a time & the wrecking yards wanted about 100-125 per (and no tires).
Old 12-29-2004, 07:28 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Hi Chike. I prefer to call them "sport" springs because the drop makes a minor improvement in handling while the increased stiffness makes the majority of the improvement in handling. :-)

Save up for the rear sway bar too. Fun factor is even better. :-)

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:30 PM

Quote:
BTW, the tires will also help my handling a bunch as well. These Dunlops are easily the stickiest rubber I've ever had on any of my cars. The treadwear rating is just 200.

I decided to put them on for a couple of weeks as VA is going to have some nice 60-70 degree weather over the next 1-2 weeks.

At the first sign of snow though, the stock wheels and all season Bridgestones will be back on!

-Chike

Old 12-29-2004, 07:33 PM

Re: Re: More winter mods...new wheels! 16 x 8 RX-7 cross-over rims!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by lee
at that price I hope you at least bought him a beer or equivalent. I looked around here once upon a time & the wrecking yards wanted about 100-125 per (and no tires).
I couldn't. He was er...not very amicable. He's in military intelligence and wasn't much of a talker. I was literally in and out of his place in 20 minutes.

I didn't twist his arm or anything. He just wanted to unload them before the Winter as they were taking up space in his garage. $250.00 was his asking price. Said he saw RX-7 rims & wheels going for those prices on ebay...

-Chike

Old 12-29-2004, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Hi Chike. I prefer to call them "sport" springs because the drop makes a minor improvement in handling while the increased stiffness makes the majority of the improvement in handling. :-)

Save up for the rear sway bar too. Fun factor is even better. :-)
Good point. From what SVXRide says, sport springs is a much better name...

Rear sway bar...now you have my mouth watering!

-Chike

Old 12-29-2004, 08:17 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Chike,
Nice choice in rims! I think you'll find them a big improvement in handling and acceleration. Glad your Advance Auto had enough lug nuts!
-Bill
p.s. Mychailo's springs work great with these rims! Then again, you won't know the full extent until you get yourself some real tires (R-comps rule!)
p.p.s the rims really do look better on a black SVX

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker

Last edited by SVXRide; 12-29-2004 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXRide
Chike,
Nice choice in rims! I think you'll find them a big improvement in handling and acceleration. Glad your Advance Auto had enough lug nuts!
-Bill
p.s. Mychailo's springs work great with these rims! Then again, you won't know the full extent until you get yourself some real tires (R-comps rule!)
Hey Bill,

Thanks again for getting back with me so quickly last night. Glad I ran out and got those lug nuts. I made it just 5 minutes before they closed...

The best part about the rims I got, is that they're in near perfect condition. This guy is the original owner of a '93 and garages it in the Winter. The two front rims are blemish free, while the two rear rims have a little curb rash on the edges.

I haven't done a launch from idle yet, but I kinda want to see how easily it will be to break traction with these sticky tires on the road. I imagine my 60ft times will improve in the 1/4 mile even more from the 36lb reduction in unsprung weight.

-Chike

P.S. I may just need those Victoracers. I'll see how long these tires last after doing a bunch of drag racing in March when the tracks open up in VA.

However, I'm still toying with the idea of moving up to 245/45 tires after these tires wear out. The guy I spoke to at Tirerack says they weigh just 0.5 lbs more than the 225/50's.