Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-05-2004, 12:31 PM

What is the best way to move a car...

after you buy it? When I do end up getting an SVX, I've realized that more than likely, I will be flying to the seller to pick it up. I'm going to get it registered in Florida, but what have you done to get it there without too much trouble? I will be transferring the plate from my RX-7 since it will be sold by then, but should I just put it on the SVX and drive it to Florida? I know the DMV expects you to drive the car to them so they can inspect the VIN, so I'm pretty sure I'll be driving it from the seller's address. But what have you done to get it home? Thanks

Last edited by majeskyb; 10-05-2004 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:34 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Get a transit plate from the DMV in the state where you buy the car. They're usually good for 30 days.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-05-2004, 12:39 PM

All right, thank you. Well, I hope they can mail them overnight when I do need it. Florida's DMV has been pretty good about taking care of me even though I'm stationed in Louisiana. I'll have to get my wife to give them a call
Old 10-05-2004, 01:35 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I don't think you understand. Say you buy the car in Texas. In order to drive it home legally, you go to the DMV in Texas and get a transit tag. Then you get your normal plate from your home state once you get it home. Or, in your case, you register it by mail in FL or something.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-05-2004, 02:45 PM

Selling (driving) a TN car out of the state

Mr. Pockets is right, you need a temporary tag from the state in which you are buying the car. Here in TN, all you need is the title in hand and $7.00 and the TN DMV gives you a temporary tag (some states call it a transit tag) good for 30 days.

As long as you have one car currently insured, your existing policy should cover any new purchase for 30 days. Just be sure to let them know when you get it home to add it to the policy within that 30 day window (from purchase date).

Now that's the right (legal) way to do it. The last two cars I sold I made sure that the purchaser had a temporary tag and they all made it home without a hitch (one to Ohio and another to Kansas).

Another way to do, albeit not completely by the book: When I flew to Illinois to but my SVX on a Saturday, the Illinois DMV wasn't open. To get my car home, I had my old TN tag (from the Subaru WRX I had sold the month before) and its registration, which was still current. I also had with me the title and a bill of sale. I mounted my WRX plate onto the SVX. I figured that if I did got stopped, I had sufficient documentation (including a plane ticket receipt) proving that I had just flown in and purchased the car that day and could not stay until Monday to get the temp tag. Fortunately, I didn't get stopped, so I was not able to test my plan.

I'm not promoting violating any laws, just explaining how I got my latest car home from out of state. If you can buy the car during the week, get the temp tag and drive with the comforting knowledge that you are doing it BY THE BOOK. Enjoy the ride home.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to Guard-TL-
drive it like you stole it.......

Seriously chanses of you getting pulled over if you follow all traffic laws are very low. And ones you get the car in to your own state just have it registered/insured as soon as possible.

This is how we got my friends supra from NJ to PA. Granted the guy gave his old plates and insurance card just in case.

-1992 Pearl White Subaru SVX
-1995 Briliant Black Mazda Precidia (sold :'( )
-1996 GMC Sonoma ZQ8 pickup
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...-TL-/20502.jpg

-Taras
Old 10-05-2004, 04:49 PM

Alright. Thank you all Sorry I was a little thick headed there, but I do understand now Now if only I could speed up time so I could actually start looking at potential ones...