Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2004, 09:03 PM
samsoup

New SVX frontend ?

Ok... I just posted my "welcome" msg .. and now im eager to ask many questions to you guys.

1. I understand taht... SVX came with auto.. only? But I see some guys here that have manual trannys. Was it a swap? How much did it cost? Is it worth it? I've always had manual cars.
I called a few places here ... that does those things.. and they said they wont do manual gear swaps from automatics.

2. I love the rear.. the side.. the interior.. of the SVX.. but.. sorry.. I just cant stand the front end of the car. especially the lights... it just.. doesnt.. go.. so.. i was thinking... would you guys buy a front end conversion if it was available?

This is what im thinking about....
Since.. putting in .. lets say.. a '05 Acura TL lights on it ... is just.. "not right" ... how about.. making it flat.. get rid of the original lights... put in.. lets say.. a Nissan 240 SX .. "flip lights" ...

so.. you will have.. the light conversion... to flip.. and.. hood (to fit the flip lights).. and a new bumper design (nice and clean OEM style) ...

If it was possible.. would you guys get it? Priced around maybe.. $1500 for the whole conversion?

I work with 3i , a new polyfibreglass design / manufacuturer, and if i can get at least about 10-20 interested buyers here.. i can get them to spend the bucks and make these.

What do you think guys? I'll post a .. photochopped pic if i can.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:26 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Yea i hate the front....its hideous.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 09-16-2004, 10:31 PM
samsoup

hmm..
i guess not many people are willing to spend the $ for a new front end? I'm open to ideas~

Quote:
Originally posted by soobiesvx93
Yea i hate the front....its hideous.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:37 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Definitley sounds expensive but the flip up headlights sounds awesome. I think that would look awesome on the SVX.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 09-16-2004, 10:46 PM
samsoup

well, it has to do with the price of the lights mostly ...
and since... there aren't many SVX's.. its hard to convince aftermarket manufacturers to invest the initial $ capital and something for a car that only sold 15,000 or so in 5 years.

They'll probably make something like that if i can come up with at least 10 solid buyers.

Maybe we can do a group buy and bring down the price to about $1200 USD?

Quote:
Originally posted by soobiesvx93
Definitley sounds expensive but the flip up headlights sounds awesome. I think that would look awesome on the SVX.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:52 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
I personally think the front of the SVX looks fine. Simple changes such as cleaning the lenses or getting the clear lenses, the '97 Grille, and the clear corners look awesome. I do think that the stock front bumper has something slightly off about it. I've never been able to decide what doesn't fit. Anyway, I think some photochopped pix would be of great help in creating interest.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 09-16-2004, 11:27 PM
samsoup

ok.. i know.. im HORRIBLE at photochopping.. lol.. someone help..

Here are some options:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg conv.jpg (161.1 KB, 225 views)
Old 09-16-2004, 11:28 PM
samsoup

um.. horrible photoshop.. but.. i hope u guys get the idea.. lol

anyone wanna help me with this photochop thing? lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nsxconv.jpg (122.7 KB, 203 views)
Old 09-16-2004, 11:31 PM
samsoup

looking at the curves...
the nsx.. and.. stealth lights wont work, since they are too curved. SVX has a "ridgid" design. The 240SX, and the Supra, will fit much easier.

we can .. however.. incorporate NSX's front bumper design (along with the signal light integration) ..

it'll be a mix/match .. but still be unique for SVX.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:39 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I always thought the front end wasn't aggressive enough, but pop up heads lights went out of style with my XT6. Good riddance (to the lights).
Besides, I don't think there is room.

I think a lip spoiler, some clears, and a 97 grille (if grills are your thing) are all you need to spiff the face up.
I can live without major front end modification.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:23 AM
kmin

the svx designers deliberately chose to avoid flip-up lights to improve aerodynamics. so they had the lights integrated into the line of the car instead.

how do i know? i read the initial road & track special report on the svx when it was first coming out. oh wait, i have the special report!!!
Old 09-17-2004, 12:34 AM
jklmnopqrst

Kmin: it's nice to hear from you again. How is your SVX doing? 190K miles and going strong I assume. Any luck w/ the sale of your car?
Old 09-17-2004, 01:18 AM
kmin

sniff sniff

Hmm... I smell a thread hijack here!!!

Good to hear from ya too, jklmnopqrst (don't know if you'd want me to use your real name in public)!

nah, no sale remember? i decided to fix her up after all. i think after looking at all the pics i took, and reminiscing about all the good, although short times we've had... i couldn't just sell her. I'm in the process of getting struts from nice fellow forum members... recently bought some por-15 to fix those rust spots properly... just placed an order for a tranny cooler and filter from summit racing... it's going to set me back quite a bit, but ah well. the things we do for love. one can always rationalize and justify just about anything...

have you found a new ride yet? you know, there's that auction in montana... awfully tempting...
Old 09-17-2004, 06:57 AM
samsoup

Hmm...
yeah.. I thought about the "aerodynamics" of it too,
but... i dont think it'll make that much of a difference really...
i mean ... how much "gas" am i saving just cause i have a flip light? ... or how much faster am I going? ... lol ..

I guess its just personal preference I guess.
To me, I dont really care about the aerodynamics..
its just the front end.. looks... "blah" ...
very outdated... im desperate to change it.

Quote:
Originally posted by kmin
the svx designers deliberately chose to avoid flip-up lights to improve aerodynamics. so they had the lights integrated into the line of the car instead.

how do i know? i read the initial road & track special report on the svx when it was first coming out. oh wait, i have the special report!!!
Old 09-17-2004, 07:06 AM
samsoup

Hmm...
yeah.. I thought about the "aerodynamics" of it too,
but... i dont think it'll make that much of a difference really...
i mean ... how much "gas" am i saving just cause i have a flip light? ... or how much faster am I going? ... lol ..

I guess its just personal preference I guess.
To me, I dont really care about the aerodynamics..
its just the front end.. looks... "blah" ...
very outdated... im desperate to change it.

Quote:
Originally posted by kmin