SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-01-2001, 09:48 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Talking

We finally have a 2 SVX family - picked up a black 92 LS-L (6/91 production) with 101,000 for $5500 friday night for the woman. It was listed on Joe Spitz's site for $5900 http://www.cars101.com/subaru_svx_for_sale.html

It is in great shape and the previous owner was the prefect owner. all scheduled maintenance has been done ,they put plugs in it twice so far - at 60 and 90k (I don't know why), its had the oil pump, water pump, steering rack, front main seal, rear wheel bearings, front CV shafts, front rotors all replaced. The tranny is the original and has the filter kit installed - shifts smooth as silk, and no clunking into reverse.
Looking through the records the previous owner spent over 7k in repairs between 35k and 101k miles. That does not include the oil changes which he even kept records of. The car rides great and looks great- a couple scratches here and there but other than that its in great shape. It doesn't feel as fast as mine but the shocks are in better shape so it seems to corner alot flatter.

When I went to meet him for the test drive I hadn't told him that I owned one - he said to look for "the only black SVX in the parking lot" He was pretty surprised to see another one pull up beside him.

So we now have identical svx's except for the lack of a spoiler on hers. I changed the front and rear diff oil and put front pads on hers, and put front and rear pads on mine yesterday.
Now it's time to order a couple tranny coolers and filter kit and temp gauge. I plan to connect only the filter kit and temp gauge first with the stock tranny heater just to get a baseline of how hot the tranny has been running. I will post results here to scare the rest of you into installing tranny coolers if you haven't already.

I can't wait for the smokies meet!
Anyone want to buy an '88 celica with 187 million miles on it?
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 04-01-2001, 01:17 PM

Thumbs up 2 Thumbs Up!!!

<sneaks in quietly from a long hiatus>

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now you and the "woman" can both drive in style

<sneaks back out>

B.C.

P.S. I'll have to pass on the celica. If only it had a mere 186 million miles I would have bought it ;^)
Old 04-02-2001, 08:00 AM
Lowered SVX

you are making my wife jealous

of course today would be the day my wife would be online with me. thanks alot......guess what she wants for x-mas!! just kidding my wife has a vw 1.8t GTI and she loves it. enjoy your dual svx's!
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 04-02-2001, 10:59 AM
British Car Junky

Send a message via AIM to EveryShadeofBlue Send a message via Yahoo to EveryShadeofBlue
Unhappy

Good luck with your 2 SVX's! You are a brave man. My 5/91 black SVX had the original tranny replaced just last week (102,000 miles...scary, eh?). It shifted smooth as silk, but the front differential decided to self destruct, thus necessitating replacement of the entire tranny. My AWD wasn't working anyway, so I'm happy to have that now too. All that for $2,700!

You got a good deal, so even if you have a few problems, it's worth it. Again, best of luck! This is my first post on this forum. I'm starting to get used to it.

Jeff
Old 04-02-2001, 03:22 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Good Deal

Looking forward to seeing both your SVXs in TN! I'm collecting some trans. temp data for a baseline, also. It will be interesting to compare 92 and 95 transmission temp data; hope to have enough to work with by then.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 04-02-2001, 06:44 PM
joeaux

Cool

The only thing that looks better than one SVX is two of them!
-joe-
Old 04-04-2001, 07:20 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
we had a 5-10mph rolling start race on the way home today - she won.
Ouch.
I gotta figure out this dang IRIS valve thing. If I floor it its fast, If I give it about 3/4 throttle its faster, if the moon is in phase with jupiter and I partly stomp it and then put it to the floor at about 30mph it takes off like a rocket.

It is nice to see another SVX on the road. I forget how good they look rolling. the front end at night with the headlights and foglights on is so sinister looking. (she may have took me to 60 but she was looking at tailights by 80)
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
Old 04-08-2001, 02:55 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
tranny temp gauge installed

I put the tranny filter and temp gauge on. Hers did have the add on tranny filter from the TSB, I took that out and installed the summit unit in about the same location. The fluid in her car looks brand new. (changed at 90k)
Its about 82 degrees here, 30% humidity.
A 20 mile drive around town in my car with 2 tranny coolers yielded a high temp of 185 degrees. Average temp about 165. The same exact route in her car with the stock tranny heater yielded a high of 235 degrees. When it got that hot I started trying to coast around as much as possible. It would cool down to around 215 but not get much cooler than that.
According to the propaganda from B&M the life of a tranny running that hot is about 15,000-20,000 miles.

I am waiting for the perma-cool unit with fan #12511(on backorder with summit $97 - $40 cheaper than when I bought mine direct from perma-cool!) to arrive. Until then I'll drive her car as much as possible to get more data, but right now I'm convinced.

On a side note - I told her I'd give her a month before she got pulled over in her new svx. While, I beat her to it - I got pulled over in her new svx. The cop was cool - he didn't give me the typical "I am the law, your god" attitide. He was just pulling me because there are no plates on the car (even though I was doing 60 in a 45) SC law gives you 30 days to drive around before you have to register a car, but it has to be insured. I didn't get a ticket - I told him I had just installed a temp gauge in her car and was checking it out. He was actually kind of interested in the car. He sent me on my way and told me to drive safe (heh- heh)