Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2004, 09:08 PM
leviathan

Angry It broke again!!!

So I had a used transmission installed a few weeks ago and everything seemed fine. I started driving to work on Friday morning and whenever I hit the gas more than just a little bit both the tacometer and the speedometer would fly up to the top, so it says I am going 120 when in fact it won't let me go over 40. I also heard a clicking noise that would get a lot worse when this happened. My car is sitting at the dealership right now. I talked to the guy who provided the tranny and he said it sounds like the axels have come loose. Which means the people who installed it did something wrong. They don't give warrantees on customer supplied parts. So I was wondering what everyone thinks, if it really is the axels, and about what it costs to fix something like that.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:48 PM
SVX Appeal

Sounds like the problem is between the exterior CV joint and the differential cage. If the noise is coming from inside the transmission, your differential will need to come out. Otherwise, this should be nothing more than a simple axle swap. I was once given the wrong CV shaft for my '86 GL wagon. Apparently the splines on the turbo model's shaft are slightly larger. They fit snugly, but will spin under torque.

Also, the warranty has nothing to do with this. If it is the axle, it sounds like they screwed up. They installed it wrong which caused the axle to break.

Now, before I dig myself too deep into a hole, there may be another explanation for this. Perhaps the tranny is bad. Perhaps the splines don't line up. Perhaps your CV joint was already on its last legs. I doubt all this, but I don't want to be putting my foot in my mouth later.

Last edited by UberRoo; 05-03-2004 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:12 PM
leviathan

Quote:
Originally posted by UberRoo
Also, the warranty has nothing to do with this. If it is the axle, it sounds like they screwed up. They installed it wrong which caused the axle to break.
It doesn't matter. I called them and they said they do not give warrantees on parts or service on customer supplied parts. The dealership said that they would look at it on Monday, it is now Tuesday and I haven't heard anything. I AM SICK OF WALKING!!
Old 05-09-2004, 12:07 AM
tancred

Axles are expensive, well they were for my car for the previous owner I have a reciept here for like 1100 in axles....

Give me a call nate if you DO need a ride to work, since we are in the SAME BUILDING.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:16 PM
leviathan

I shall be getting her back tomorrow. It was my right front CV axel, $450 to special order a new one.
Old 05-09-2004, 07:57 PM
TorG0d

I got my right front CV axle at Riebes for $80. They even had it in stock. Maybe inflation was 400% in 3 months, or maybe they're raping you on the install.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:04 PM
livin in AZ

You can get a rebuilt one for about $75 (with core exchange)dollars from Checker. I just bought one about a month ago. I wouldn't pay that price for a new one. Darren

Social Distortion

1992 LS-L Pearl White :Optima Red Top, Motorsports Warehouse drop springs and swaybar bushings, Race Concepts slotted and dimpled rotors ,SS brake lines,semi-metalic brake pads, 4.11 5 speed, STi short shifter and tranny mount, Exedy sport clutch, Kartboy shifter bushings, intake silencer removed, ECU Tune Stage 1 v4
Old 05-09-2004, 08:33 PM
deruvian

Quote:
Originally posted by TorG0d
I got my right front CV axle at Riebes for $80. They even had it in stock. Maybe inflation was 400% in 3 months, or maybe they're raping you on the install.
You're in Penryn? Which Riebes did you go to? I live in Nevada City/Grass Valley area, and there are two Riebes stores here. I didn't know that there were maybe more.

Maybe we should meet soon... Or you should go to the Reno meet