Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2004, 01:36 PM

Registered SVX
warped rotors

Frozen Rotors front and stock turned rear discs and stock pads all the way around took care of my problems. Cross drilled rotors were a waste of money. Believe the engineers and not the marketeers.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:40 PM
check out www.planetsvx.com

Re: warped rotors

Quote:
Originally posted by Hangtownsvx
Frozen Rotors front and stock turned rear discs and stock pads all the way around took care of my problems. Cross drilled rotors were a waste of money. Believe the engineers and not the marketeers.
my first set of ART rotors on had on my 5 spd car
warped within 6 months, so I tend to disagree

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."
Old 05-12-2004, 02:02 PM

Registered SVX
Talking Frozen Rotors

Maybe the Frozen Rotor people know their stuff better, being from Minnesota and all instead of California.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:04 PM

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...t=warped+rotor

Check this out, you should be able to take the warp OUT if you follow this thread....
'80 Honda CBX in-line 24 valve 6 cylinder
Old 05-15-2004, 11:02 AM
The Molinator

FREEZE this!

The latest in my WARPED BRAKE journey:

Two nites ago, I was coming home and the warpage I've been talking about seemed worser (that's right! WORSER!). It actually seemed like something broke, since there was a distinct rattling sound then when I braked. I felt I needed to check this out for safety reasons, so I took the wheels off, inspected the pads and rotors >> Nothing obviously wrong (?)!

Some of you know I had purchased caliper pins, thinking they could be one of the very few causes of this continual warping of rotors. I didn't take the time to install them when (about two months ago) I put my last turned (cross-drilled) rotors back on (because the stock rotors had warped) because the pad wear seemed even (apparently no stuck or sticky caliper pin).

So, Thursday nite (11pm to 2am) I diddled around hoping to find some obvious malfunction or break (thought a pad may have partially delaminated?), but only noticed a mild to moderate movement in the floating part of the caliper. IS IT NORMAL FOR THE FLOATING SECTION TO WIGGLE (IN THE CALIPER PIN "SLOP") FOR ABOUT 1/16"+ MOVEMENT WHEN GRABBED AND TORQUED BACK AND FORTH? I replaced the caliper pins which I had purchased some time ago, but realized in doing so that the AREA OF WEAR IS ON THE CALIPER BODY, NOT THE PINS!!! Because of this fact, installing the new pins would not eliminate the "slop", BUT SURPRISINGLY SEEMED TO IMPROVE THE WARP SHIMMY (?)!

SOOOOOOOOOooooooooo!, again: IS THE FLOATING PART OF THE CALIPER SUPPOSED TO BE FAIRLY RIGID (VERY LITTLE MOVEMENT IF TWISTED BACK AND FORTH) >> IF SO, THEN I SHOULD REPLACE THE CALIPERS (OR AT LEAST THE CALIPER BODIES) WHERE THIS WEAR IS EVIDENTLY TAKING PLACE! This might explain the unexplainable continual warpage of rotors.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW, Thanks!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!

Last edited by James Scott; 05-15-2004 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-15-2004, 06:48 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
State of play.

There should not be any wobble between the two halfs. They should just slide in and out smoothly. Any play in other directions, can cause the pad to chatter on the disk. This could feel like warped disks.

I haven't had the calipers off, but isn't the holes in the ridged half got replaceable screw in bushes?

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-16-2004, 04:55 AM
The Molinator

NO WOBBLE ????????

Harvey: NO! The pins are replaceable, but the "sleeves" in the caliper body that they (the guide pin and the lock pin sleeve) slide in are NOT REPLACEABLE. [One is just a hole in the caliper casting. The other is a permanent sleeve (for the guide pin) which comes as part of the caliper body.] From Subaruparts.com, they only sell the entire caliper (for $221 each).

Wish they were cheaper or the caliper body only was available. I'm anxious to try replacing them!

THANKS for your help!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)

Last edited by James Scott; 05-16-2004 at 04:58 AM.
Old 05-16-2004, 08:09 AM
tmaslar

You can get rebuilt calipers from autozone for around $60. You can check their website. I am using one now and have had no problems with it. They also come with a lifetime guarantee.

Tom
Old 05-24-2004, 07:23 PM
The Molinator

REMAN calipers

THANKS! I ordered a driver's side reman caliper at a local Autozone store >> Unfortunately, they didn't have the right side caliper (?)
Old 05-24-2004, 09:00 PM
tmaslar

Jim,

They should be able to get it for you in a few days if it is not in stock. They had two different brands available. I bought the Fenco or maybe it was Fernco.

Tom
Old 05-26-2004, 04:00 AM
The Molinator

CALIPERS

Tom: I installed the one reman (Fenco) caliper last nite >> Didn't notice any difference, unfortunately! I thought I might try a new one (about $120). The new one may have the tight guide/lock pin tolerances that could make the difference (?).

I'LL LET YOU KNOW . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .