How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-04-2004, 04:17 PM
Crash

Panel removal for seatbelt

I did several searches but couldn't find this specifically. My seatbelt quit and the blinking is going to give me a mental episode. Before I get started I want to make sure I have my facts straight. The control for the seatbelt is located in the panel rear of the door.. correct? Or is it for some reason in the door? Please help my recent repairs said attempts have been cursed so I get started in the right direction.

Thanks,
Crash
Old 04-04-2004, 09:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan
I consider myself good at this now..

I won't do the work for you( I would if I had more time right now, I love helping), but I'll steer you in the right direction

First off, do a search for pulling seatbelt error codes. do so, and see what comes up. tell us.

There is nothing in the door having to do with the seatbelt, except the door actuator(sp?) switch, which is not the problem, unless you notice that the lights dont turn on when you open the door, and the warning light for the door ajar doesnt turn on either.

One thing to try, crank the seatbelt back by hand (search for how if you do not know how), and tell us if the seatbelt works then. will it go forward on its own? once its gone forward, will it come back, and act normal?

Give us some more info when ya got it.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:18 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Re: Panel removal for seatbelt

Quote:
Originally posted by Crash
I did several searches but couldn't find this specifically. My seatbelt quit and the blinking is going to give me a mental episode. Before I get started I want to make sure I have my facts straight. The control for the seatbelt is located in the panel rear of the door.. correct? Or is it for some reason in the door? Please help my recent repairs said attempts have been cursed so I get started in the right direction.

Thanks,
Crash
I was just ripping apart my car and I pulled out the seatbelt mechanism. I can't remember if you can access the panel without removing the rear seat, but if you remove the armrest panel in the rear where the the windows switch is and then remove the leather panel that goes up from where the door frame to the front of the windshield area (where people usually mount pillar pods for tranny temp gauges, etc.) you will find the seatbelt mechanism. there are 3 bolts holding the motor in, 2 bolts anchoring the wiring, one big bolt holding the track where the moving part of the seat belt stops, and 4 bolts holding the track going to the front of the car. That's how you take it out. Good luck.

oh yeah, if you remove the passenger mechanism, you need to remove the two screws holding the handle on the top.

also while removing that top panel covering the track be careful because you can crack the plastic if you pull too hard.

Last edited by Noir; 04-05-2004 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:47 AM
96svxer

Seatbelt ECU is in the trunk. Just under the rear wiper. You have to remove the top liner of your trunk to access. Your seatbelt motor and the three switch connections are located just below your rear window (need to remove rear seat and liner below window.) I agree, just manually crank the seatbelt back with an allen head wrench to reset the system, then see if it starts working. If not check seatbelt error codes, then replace ECU. Thats what fixed mine.