Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-03-2004, 02:18 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
need help :(

Well to make a long story short, the battery got installed backwards in my SVX today. blew the fusable link. Fixed that and i have the following problemes:

1)The CD player dosnt work. But the lights on the cd player works and if i hit the eject button 2 times(yes only if twice) then the dash lights blink.

2)The clock is half lit. is keeping time perfectly.

3)Memory of stations resets everytime the car is started(radio is off when i turn it back on

4)when the car is on and i open the doors, the lights on the dash go off. I have no lights function in the doors or dome(blown bulbs maybe?). dinner switch does work and so does the bright button(cuases a little bit more light on the clock as well.

5)Security system dosnt arm with the remote. lock and unlock however does work. When i hit the secuirty button on the dash it blinks repetitivly and quickly.( im not that worried about fixing this one.)

Other then these weird gremlin glitches the car runs great. I suspect i blew out a control module somewhere along the way and its a matter of finding out which ones.

BTW no fuses blew other then the fusable link, so i find these problems very odd as if the power made it past hte fusable link it would have blown any fuse that gets power when the batter is connected.

if you can help me at all it would be much apreciated
phil
Old 04-03-2004, 07:09 AM

Never personally seen it done in a car, but several times on old positive-earth British motorcycles (I'm a Norton rider). It's likely some electronic components that are "hot" all the time won't come fully back to life, i.e., clock, security module, etc.

I gave a quick look at some circuit diagrams, and there's the time control module/unit that is hooked up to the radio & dash lights, etc. You might look more closely at a wiring diagram to see what other common components exist.

--------------------

Probably should make sure you don't have 4 reverse gears and only 1 forward now too (J/K). Sorry to hear of your problem. It does happen, and things do get fried.
Old 04-03-2004, 09:28 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

i believe that you are right. That seems to be the weak link in the system,and i think it controls all the "hot" systems. Im gonan replace it and go from their.
phil

btw. Gears checked up fine
Old 04-03-2004, 10:33 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

All problems fixed. Fuses werent visibally blown but longassname fixed ALL OF MY PROBLEMS!!!! i cant thank him enough(and will thank him with trusting any product he devises) he took the time to sit down and troubleshoot all of my problems with me. Thanks a million!
phil
Old 04-03-2004, 11:34 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Phast SVX
All problems fixed. Fuses werent visibally blown but longassname fixed ALL OF MY PROBLEMS!!!! i cant thank him enough(and will thank him with trusting any product he devises) he took the time to sit down and troubleshoot all of my problems with me. Thanks a million!
phil

And the problem was . . . . ? Inquiring minds want/need to know. Just in case.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-03-2004, 08:36 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

And the problem was . . . . ? Inquiring minds want/need to know. Just in case.
most of my fuses were not blown, looked to be ok, but in reality they were not functioning correctly(even though they look completely fine) might have been just the taking out and putting them back in, but the weird ghosts were caused by them!
phil
Old 04-04-2004, 07:35 AM

wierd....but great news
Old 04-04-2004, 12:31 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

"Let us consider for a moment

the SVX of one Phil aka, PhastSVX. Upon incorrectly installing his battery, all manner of electrical maladies befell the confused owner. Examination proved fruitless. Curiously, removal and re-installation of the fuses mysteriously cured his electrical problems.

We'll examine his rather unique problems further on this episode of the Twilight Zone........"

Todd
Old 04-04-2004, 04:18 PM
tancred

I am at the same point, i pulled all fuses, the ones in the kick panel by the driver seat...I did my engine grounding kit, (being the dumbass I am) I put the ground to the power on the alternator, and popped that copper thing that bridges in the fuse box, I rigged a replacement, and now my CD player wont save any settings. It saved the security code, but not station presets, or anything of that likeness, the clock is fine, security never worked before....

So you just replaced the fuses????

On another note, all the fuses do look fine on my car too!

I will remove all and replace them, just to see what happens..
Old 04-04-2004, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tancred
...snip...popped that copper thing that bridges in the fuse box, I rigged a replacement, and now my CD player wont save any settings. It saved the security code, ...snip.....
that "copper thing that bridges" is the fusible link when you go to replace it for real.

on the stereo, you probably popped the fuse on the headunit constant power line. I'm guessing you'll have to pull out the stereo & check that fuse if your other route doesn't work.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:29 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

you DO NOT need to remove the cd player. Replace all the normal sized fuses that are postioned on the left but not most left side of the engine bay( i believe their are 4 0r 5), I also replaced teh stero fuse. This should fix all your problems.
phil
Old 04-04-2004, 06:31 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Re: "Let us consider for a moment

Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??
the SVX of one Phil aka, PhastSVX. Upon incorrectly installing his battery, all manner of electrical maladies befell the confused owner. Examination proved fruitless. Curiously, removal and re-installation of the fuses mysteriously cured his electrical problems.

We'll examine his rather unique problems further on this episode of the Twilight Zone........"

Todd
edit:
"Reinstallation proved no differnt. Replacing the "entact" fuses fixed all problems"

phil
Old 04-04-2004, 06:32 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Wait a minute....
oh nevermind, just post whoring my own thread.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phast SVX
you DO NOT need to remove the cd player. Replace all the normal sized fuses that are postioned on the left but not most left side of the engine bay( i believe their are 4 0r 5), I also replaced teh stero fuse. This should fix all your problems.
phil
I stand humbly corrected for the OEM unit.

I assumed from tancred's description of "security code" he had an aftermarket CD player - which usually means another fuse on the unit itself or on the power pigtail.

If I made a bad assumption...well you all know what assume means, right Should have made sure before I started spouting off.
Old 04-04-2004, 08:00 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Quote:
Originally posted by lee

I stand humbly corrected for the OEM unit.

I assumed from tancred's description of "security code" he had an aftermarket CD player - which usually means another fuse on the unit itself or on the power pigtail.

If I made a bad assumption...well you all know what assume means, right Should have made sure before I started spouting off.
oh shoot, didnt see that it was after market. Maybe i shot of too fast as well. But if its the memory thing , mine wouldnt remember anything as wel, and was off whenever i restarted the car. That got fixed by a fuse

phil