How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-23-2004, 03:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to sharky512345
how practicle would a svx be for me?

I am 16 and am looking into getting a car. I have been considering the SVX because of all the great things it has to offer: AWD, airbags, looks great, and it doesn't cost a lot (i think, up front at least).

My parents want me to get a car that has all wheel drive and dual airbags so i am thinking about the 94-97 svx's. svx's seem to be cheaper than most other all wheel drive cars with airbags in my area (oregon).

Do you think that this car would be right for me? I want a reliable car that won't need numerous costly repairs. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:29 PM
greg

It all depends on how well the car was taken care of prior to you. Generally speaking the SVX can give thousands of trouble free miles but when something does go wrong, or just maintenance is necsessary, it can be very expensive. The parts for the SVX are outrageous. I guess because of the limited run but for some reason few of the parts from other madels match up but although they are the same part and part number the SVX part cost more, I guess a little research could solve that problem. But simple things like spark plug changes can become an ordeal.

All in all if the cost is right and the car is loved like I love mine, I would say follow your heart and hope that your Mom and Dad help pay for repairs and maintenance!

~G
Old 02-23-2004, 03:41 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I think if your parents want to get you a car with AWD and airbags, they should look at an Impreza or Legacy for you, and for two reasons (one of which you're not going to like):

1. The Impreza and Legacy are going to prove to be more dependable than the SVX and cost less to operate. They cost less to repair, they're less complicated and most don't require premium fuel.

2. You're 16. This point can actually be divided up into two sub-points.

A. Your parents' insurance is going to be ridiculous.

B. A 16-year-old could easily get into trouble with such a car. Granted, it's a safe and predictable car tuned the way it is for the US market. But it's also capable of doing things you're not experienced enough to deal with safely.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 02-23-2004, 03:44 PM
greg

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
I think if your parents want to get you a car with AWD and airbags, they should look at an Impreza or Legacy for you, and for two reasons (one of which you're not going to like):

1. The Impreza and Legacy are going to prove to be more dependable than the SVX and cost less to operate. They cost less to repair, they're less complicated and most don't require premium fuel.

B. A 16-year-old could easily get into trouble with such a car. Granted, it's a safe and predictable car tuned the way it is for the US market. But it's also capable of doing things you're not experienced enough to deal with safely.
Ya, what he said!
Old 02-23-2004, 03:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to sharky512345
parent's insurance? i wish they would pay for my insurance. i have been looking into legacys, imprezas, and audis (yea right). but my brother has a legacy and i dont want the same car as him that would just be weird, lol. I also figured that premium would only cost an extra ~$50ish a year.

you guys are probably right, but i still want one
Old 02-23-2004, 04:00 PM

Quote:
...snip....

....snip...
^^^^^^^^^
I was unpleasantly surprised when State Farm said the SVX insurance was going to be significantly higher than what I had been paying on a Toyota MR2 Turbo - turned out it costs me about 10% more to have the SVX - exact same level of coverage/deductable, etc..

Old 02-23-2004, 04:17 PM
greg

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky512345
parent's insurance? i wish they would pay for my insurance. i have been looking into legacys, imprezas, and audis (yea right). but my brother has a legacy and i dont want the same car as him that would just be weird, lol. I also figured that premium would only cost an extra ~$50ish a year.

you guys are probably right, but i still want one
$50ish... I don't think so if your figuring per year. Unless you only fill up only 16 times per year! You know in most stations the premium fuel is $.20 more per gallon. You may put about 15 gallons per fill up if it isn't empty is $3 per fill-up that means 16/17 fill ups per year... I doubt that I figure 1 fill up per week is about $156 dollar a year! Thats a big jump.

If you get things fixed or maintained properly that is going to include tranny flushes and oil changes, oil changes alone are more because the car hold 6.2 quarts, most oil change prices include only 5 quarts. Tranny flushes are important too because of the heat the 4eat produces especially if there isn't an aftermarket cooler. If you do add the cooler, which I would recomend, is another cost right off the top! But well worth it!

Just my thoughts!

~G
Old 02-23-2004, 04:28 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by lee

^^^^^^^^^
I was unpleasantly surprised when State Farm said the SVX insurance was going to be significantly higher than what I had been paying on a Toyota MR2 Turbo - turned out it costs me about 10% more to have the SVX - exact same level of coverage/deductable, etc..

When I bought my SVX, I found out that insurance companies give each model of car (and of course the varying trim levels) a 'symbol' number from 1 to 32. The higher the number, the more expensive to fix and therefore insure.

My SVX, being an LS-L, was a 29.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 02-23-2004, 04:59 PM

Exclamation

1. Not Expensive to buy...
2. Expensive to do regular maintance...
3. Expensive to do preventative maintance...
4. Expensive to Innsure (1400 per 6 months just for the SVX, im a 23 year old male, and married...so yours will be even higher! Comprehensive coverage.)
5. EXTREMELY expensive to repair WHEN, NOT IF it breaks down/collision.

I love my SVX, but a legacy (which I also own, its insurrance is only adds 38 bucks a month to my svx policy) or imprezza are going to be far better purchasing moves at your age. And as mentioned and I will mention from personal experience. The legacy is a much easier car to drive... The SVX is an awesome car, but at 16 years old, you'll prolly opt to test its limits more than you should, one of them prolly ending in an accident. <See #5> (I sure in the hell pushed cars limits when I was 16...once or twice past )

If you don't want the same "legacy" as your bro...get an early 90's turbo legacy w/ a 5spd. Legacy's low inssurance rates in a much sportier package. <- I wish I had one.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:01 PM
Hater

get a beater. there is a VERY good chance as an inexperienced driver you will be in an accident. maybe not a major collision, but chances are good you'll tap, smack or smash something. i did. (i sincerely hope you are accident-free, however.)

get a well-maintained, cheap car. learn to drive, learn to work on it, develop your skills, save your money. then a few years down the road, get the nice car you really want - you'll appreciate it that much more.

yeah, sounds like a load of horse sh*t, but i'm glad i had a beater to start off with.

a high-mileage Impreza might be a good starter. save your money - don't sink money into performance/appearance parts. save for the NICE car in a few years.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 02-23-2004, 05:12 PM
greg

When I was 19...

When I was 19 I had a beater because my parents knew I was going to wreck, They told me everyday to be careful and the usual lecture... Of course from 16-19 I had a couple of wrecks but then i showed them how responsible I could be and I got my first SVX. It was a cold snowy night and my brother had been in an accident. I was out already running around in my Mitsubishi (somewhat of a beater). My Dad got the call from my brother and borrowed my SVX because of the snow (his car was a rear wheel drive and wasn't much in the snow). He hopped in and apparently in his rush to get my brother...drove too fast, off the side of the road, he slipped. He took my car down a 20 ft. drop off and hit three trees on the way down. I was very upset! After all the talk of safety he nearly totaled my baby. The same baby I was not allowed to go out and play with in the snow ect. because he knew I would wreck. Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black!

Anyway I had to go pick my brother up and then pick my father up and got home safe and sound!

~G
Old 02-23-2004, 05:46 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Wiz Send a message via AIM to Wiz Send a message via Yahoo to Wiz
Quote:

When I bought my SVX, I found out that insurance companies give each model of car (and of course the varying trim levels) a 'symbol' number from 1 to 32. The higher the number, the more expensive to fix and therefore insure.

My SVX, being an LS-L, was a 29.
Mine is simaler except for mine the SVX LSi is a 23 out of 25. A 25 out of 25 they say would be a Mustang. A Volvo 240DL is an 8. My Mom's Legacy is a 12.

Right now I pay ~800 a year for liability only (can't afford full coverage). Since the highest is 25/25 and a Mustang (POS ford) can't be that bad insurance wise I wonder how much an Enzo would cost.

Oh, I'm 17 and I started out with a Volvo. Trust me. Its better to start out with a slow car. As was said by others, at some point when you are still learning you will test the car's limits. I know I did and I'm glad I had a slow car because otherwise I would have been going alot faster than I did. At 16 you would never want to do that to an SVX. Its way to fast. Fule costs are also real bad. I pay 2x as much in fule as a did with the Volvo. Although thats mostly because I like it so much I drive alot more.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:59 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Re: how practicle would a svx be for me?

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky512345
I am 16 a....
Don't do it. 16 yr olds tend to beat the crap out of cars, racing, doing dumb/risky things that help you learn to become a better driver later on. Not only is a sports car a good way to get killed, it's also VERY EXPENSIVE TO FIX. Here's my advice: Get a BIG HUGE 1970s land yacht. Like an old caddy. You can pick them up for cheap, they go like stink (thanks to the huge v8s), they're easy to fix, easy to learn how to work on cars with, and EXTREMELY EXTREMELY DURABLE.

Quote:
I want a reliable car that won't need numerous costly repairs. Thanks.
While the SVX is reliable, the repairs are very costly. They just aren't very common, so the parts are more $$$ than normal cars. Finding a technician who will do things correctly is also hard.... the SVX seems to be kinda anal about how things are installed.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll do whatever you want anyway, so good luck.

- Rob

PS: Example about SVX prices: SVX windshields are $915.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:03 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Two other things actually: The SVX sucks fuel like a pig, and it takes PREMIUM. This means a pretty high gas bill...which might suck if you're in high school and not holding a full time job. :\

Also, it's practical, not practicle.

- Rob
Old 02-23-2004, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
The SVX sucks fuel like a pig, and it takes PREMIUM.

That one is always a thorn... its runs me about $27 for 13 gal to fill my SVX and only $16 to fill up my legacy. Over a year, that adds up to quite a bit of coin.