Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-10-2004, 11:12 AM
6MT STi-ified, now with R180!

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
okay, I just checked (according to the directions linked earlier in the thread) and I get nothing. Nada. Zip. The light just keeps blinking over and over at .2 second intervals. According to the directions, that means no codes are stored.

I know I have received CEL conditions several times while driving during the past 6 months. They always went away after a few seconds. Just to be safe, I always pulled off the road and idled, or in one case more recently, shut the car off (the light refused to go off).

Nothing seems wrong besides cruddy mileage, which I was blaming on my failing transmission (manual swap, here I come!). Obvioulsy, something had to make the light go on. The only other thing; my father says the car smells like it is running rich. That would indicate to me something in the emissions control system, like a bad O2 sensor.

The images in the second link in the instructions don't load. Maybe it's just me.
1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver w/ Black, 110k mi. "Alice." Rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 17x8" Motegi LC-12 (16.5lbs), PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT + R180, Koni + Ground Control (325f/280r), Earthworm Bushings. Awaiting resto.
1994 LSI The legendary "Shotgun Slade" 110k mi and still going strong!

2005 Outback XT Limited 5MT, Obsidian Black Pearl, 211k km, daily driver.
1999 Mazda MX5 base 5MT, Twilight Blue Metallic, 152k km. "Twilight Sparkle" Summer daily driver!
2007 Honda CR-V, some awful shade of light green *yawn*

1992 LS-L Touring, Ebony Mica, 176k kms. Parts car. SCRAPPED.
1992 LS-L, Dark Teal, 367k km. "Wintergreen" the winter beater.*SCRAPPED due to rust*
Old 06-10-2004, 11:17 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
Oh, Big Blue, I just thought of something:

Do you climb a hill at that certain point in your trip when the light comes on? The most recent code I received, the one that wouldn't go off, I was climbing a hill.

Just a thought.
1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver w/ Black, 110k mi. "Alice." Rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 17x8" Motegi LC-12 (16.5lbs), PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT + R180, Koni + Ground Control (325f/280r), Earthworm Bushings. Awaiting resto.

1999 Mazda MX5 base 5MT, Twilight Blue Metallic, 152k km. "Twilight Sparkle" Summer daily driver!

1992 LS-L, Dark Teal, 367k km. "Wintergreen" the winter beater.*SCRAPPED due to rust*
Old 06-10-2004, 07:38 PM
Donate to the mod fund

Send a message via AIM to BigBlueSVX
codes

I just checked the codes, and there are four. For a recap, the first time I pulled the codes I got a 56, a 32, and a 28. Then I cleared all the codes by removing the battery. The second time I checked, I got a 56 (again), and a 28 (again). I did not clear the codes. Today 56(EGR system) and 28(left side knock sensor) were still there, but there was also 32(again, right side oxygen sensor or circuit) and 37(never seen it before, but its the other oxygen sensor). Very soon, I will know exactly what my mileage is. It may not be as bad as I thought, because I do a lot of "spirited" driving and city, not much on the highway. I'm hoping that one problem is affecting the other systems, hence the other codes. Could one of the oxygen sensors cause all this? I know they don't go out in pairs. Any ideas?

And no, it doesn't come on when going uphill. As far as I can tell, its fairly random (now).

Now part of the DSM crowd: 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
Old 06-10-2004, 07:54 PM

D'oh!

That's why I pulled no codes: I disconnected my battery when I swapped in the WRX CD player last week and haven't had a code since. I guess I'll have to wait until it throws another one...

Whatever the case, I'm guessing that the knock sensor isn't a good thing to get...

Oh, and my city mileage sucks, but highway mileage is not too bad. I just got back from a ~1200 mile trip. The last leg of it, I got about 30mpg. That seems about right, no?

So I'm guessing that it is just my failing transmission that sucks up the gas; once it goes into lockup on the highway it seems to be fine.

Old 06-10-2004, 08:23 PM
Donate to the mod fund

yeah 30 mpg is actually really good, although I never get that (no highway driving). I assume a knock sensor code would mean that the sensor is sending a signal out of range? I'm betting on one of the oxygen sensors right now, because that would cause crappy mpg, and its a common problem. I guess I can't do much now other than take it to the dealer and have them check the sensors and see if they are working properly?

Old 06-12-2004, 01:46 PM
SVX Appeal

My light flickers too. It only does it when the engine is warming up. The temperature gauge reaches a certain point, the light dances for me, and then it's gone. I think it happens at the closed loop / open loop transition point. Anyway, I've got latent O2 sensor codes for both of them, but never any current codes. I've been unable to clear the codes, but since the problem only happens for a few seconds, I'm not worried about it.

The bad mileage is normal.
Old 06-12-2004, 01:58 PM
Donate to the mod fund

hehe, yeah I hope bad mileage is normal. I just filled up the tank, 14.7 mpg. Of course thats city driving, and the occasional spirited driving through the windy roads. I'm going on a 250 mile trip now, so we'll see what the mileage is like then.

Old 06-17-2004, 12:57 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
If the O2 sensors have not been replaced then now would be the time to change them.

Otherwise start with the code with the lowest number and work your way up from there.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:38 PM
Donate to the mod fund

O2 Sensors

ok, the symptoms have gotten worse, crappy fuel mileage, loss of power, so I did a search (which I should have done long ago), and I've decided to replace both O2 sensors. I went to www.oxygensensors.com and there were 5 sensors listed. Should I go with a universal? Or should I spend a little more and get one thats plug and play?

Old 08-03-2004, 02:30 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
If you're driving an SVX then I wouldn't recommend skimping on parts to save a couple dollars.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:35 PM

I agree. Get the most expensive or the exact part you need whenever possible; you likely won't regret it. These cars are like gold-digging girlfriends - they can smell a cheap substitute a mile away, and they'll appreciate it even less...

Old 08-03-2004, 04:46 PM
Donate to the mod fund

Oxygen Sensors

Yesterday I replaced the two oxygen sensors. I replaced them with the cheapest OEM ones that were available. Not trying to skimp or anything, just kinda low on money at the moment, and I know other people have put in the same sensors without any problems. So far my problems are solved, but I need to go through another tank to see how my fuel mileage is. I did get another code this morning, No. 28 left side knock sensor.

Old 08-03-2004, 05:25 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
"These cars are like gold-digging girlfriends - they can smell a cheap substitute a mile away, and they'll appreciate it even less..." Ain't that the truth!

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel