Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2004, 02:45 PM
PWA1X

Unhappy Exhausted !

Well time has come to either accept that I could get "used to" breathing CO whilst driving the SVX or buy a new exhaust system.

Probably safer to replace me thinks!

Which leads to the question where can I get one and how much and indeed are there third party exhausts that sound better...well sound at all - given how quiet the original was.

Your feedback is most welcome, I live in Hertfordshire UK so local suppliers would be favoured although I can get goods from USA as friends and family live there!

Cheers

Paul.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:23 AM
Phil & Belha

I'm very surprised by this. IIRC your SVX is quite a new one?

Which part of your exhaust is leaking? If you are breathing it then I assume it must be near the front? Has it corroded through, or is it leaking from a join?

Our 91 JDM is still AFAIK on it's original factory exhaust - apart from the rear box which was bent in a minor accident a few years ago and replaced by insurance (after a lot of argument).

In fact, a while ago, I grounded the exhaust while trying to turn around on some uneven ground. It stared blowing from the join between the centre pipe and rear box.

When I had a look at it, the wall of the tube was about 2mm thick! Not at all like the paper-thin stuff they sell at Kwak-Fit. I couldn't bend it back using my largest pair of pliers and eventually resorted to hammering the jointing ring back into place.

The Road & Track guide says the SVX has a stainless steel exhaust, designed to last the lifetime of the car. Much of that guide is fiction, but having seen the exhaust on our car I can well believe it.

Did later cars have a less substantial exhaust, or has your's been damaged in some way causing it to wear out early?

To give you an idea of prices, the (genuine Subaru) rear box cost the insurance company about 350quid, hence their initial reluctance to pay for it. I'm not sure whether the garage got it from Subaru UK or imported it from Japan.

Phil.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:21 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nobody Send a message via MSN to Nobody
I have to agree, I have 1995MY, 195 000KM on it and exhaust is in VERY good shape. I have never seen exhaust in such a good shape at 8 yrs old car... Thanx God :-)))
Peter
Old 01-09-2004, 10:26 AM

The exhaust on my car is non-standard but came on the car when I bought it. It's quite a beast and makes a lovely loud burble as I trundle along.....particularly nice when gunned in a tunnel or going under bridges.

My other car, an Opel Monza has a hand-made stainless steel system (again, a big wide-bore burbler). This was made for me by Tube Torque Exhausts in Macclesfield back in '97. They had the car for two days so I hired a car from them and stayed up there for a long weekend and took in the sights of the Peak District.

I seem to remember the guv'nor there stating that they had a lot of experience with Subaru's having had at some point a connection with Prodrive in their earlier rallying days. Don't quote me on it but that does seem to ring a bell.

Give them a ring and see what they can do for you. I was very pleased with the system they made for me and it's as good now as the day they built it.

Tube Torque Exhausts Link

Hope this helps.

'96 Subaru SVX (111K) - UK spec
'85 Opel Monza GSE (71K)
'86 Opel Monza GSE (95K)
'93 Toyota Estima Lucida (37K) - JDM import

My psychiatrist says I'm suffering from paranoia........but he's always hated me!!!
Old 01-10-2004, 12:15 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Question

Yes, I'm the same as Phil.

My car is Dec '91 JDM, is in perfect condition, and is whisper-quiet, the way I like it.

If yours is after-market, and is already falling apart, then it speaks volumes for the lack of quality in these things. People spend fortunes to make the car sound "fruity", a term I have seen used for making a car more noisy for the baseball cap wearing yoof market.

Check the scrap yards for an original system is my advice. If you've got money to throw away, spend it on making the car go faster or stop faster, not on making it noisier so the laser-toting Boys in Blue can hear you coming the proverbial mile away.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-11-2004, 05:02 AM
PWA1X

Thumbs up Thanks!

Well, given all your replies it would seem that I should check for leaking joints as the system is original and not after market. I suspect the area of concern is the 3rd cat where the two downpipes meet.

Given your comments about your own systems it is likely that the actual pipes and boxes are ok.

Thanks all for your feedback....
Old 01-14-2004, 09:57 AM
TonyShaleUK

I'm parting out an SVX. The car is at a garage so can't say what condition the exhaust is in (I'll find out if you're interested) - if you need a stock system, pm me.
Old 01-15-2004, 06:12 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Cool Partssss. My Precioussss....

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyShaleUK
I'm parting out an SVX. The car is at a garage so can't say what condition the exhaust is in (I'll find out if you're interested) - if you need a stock system, pm me.
Tony, if you are not using the headlights from the English car, I will buy them from you. Also, I am pretty sure that John Hoffman would be very interested in buying the headlight washer assembly complete, that would be pipes, nozzles, power pump and reservoir and switch and wiring, presumably with a relay somewhere.

Also, if your rear diff is OK, maybe Monzta would purchase??

Please let me know ASAP about the lights.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-15-2004, 12:20 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Smile Ooops! Update

Tony,

It was actually Mike, Green 1995, that enquired about headlamp washer upgrade. US cars don't have them.

John Hoffman has confirmed to me he would be interested in the front wing repeater lamps if they are in good condition.

I am very interested in the headlamps.

Over to you.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-16-2004, 12:53 AM
TonyShaleUK

I'll have to get over to the garage where the car is stored to check all of the parts out. Doing the University run this weekend and away all next week, so will get back to you asap. From memory, I think that all of the bits mentioned in this thread are ok.

Let you know next weekend.
Old 01-16-2004, 02:23 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Thumbs up

Thanks Tony.

Let me know what you require for the respective items when you return.

Ta

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-16-2004, 02:38 AM
crow_road75

Tony - while you are looking at your spares car, any chance you can have a look at the grille for me? If it's in decent condition, I'd be interested in having it...

Cheers,

Jason
--
Old 01-16-2004, 07:33 AM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyShaleUK
I'll have to get over to the garage where the car is stored to check all of the parts out. Doing the University run this weekend and away all next week, so will get back to you asap. From memory, I think that all of the bits mentioned in this thread are ok.

Let you know next weekend.
Tony-

I'm desperately looking for a UK-spec center tail lamp (the one that has the reverse and fog lights in it. Could you please check into this for me on your parts car?

Best,

mike
Old 01-16-2004, 12:36 PM

Talking I wanna get nuts

Hi Tony,

I have probably the most strange request but it is preventing me from driving my SVX and the Subaru rep says will be a lot of Euro to get it here.

I need ALL the 20 wheel nuts!

I know this is not an easy one as the donor car has to sit on something...

The fact is that I got the car with an optional 17 inches rims that are far from being the most adequated to our roads and in only 1500km I bent two of the wheels.

Since it came with the original ones I tried the swap but the nuts are not the same type and when I realized that the metal on the originals was almost "melted" by the wrong nuts I decided I realy need the right ones.

The guys at the tire service said that they can have it made for me but I would really like to have the originals.

Do you think you could help me?

Junkyards will not help me since my SVX is the only one that ever got a plate in this corner of the world...

Cheers.

Tone
Old 01-16-2004, 01:49 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
USA

Hi Tone

Long time no see. Your car going OK?

You could get the wheel nuts shipped from the States, they are listed at $5.30 each. This would make a set of 20 cost $106, so probably 90 odd Euro plus shipping charge. Expensive enough I suppose, but at least it's an option.

See http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...category=290-1

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl