Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2003, 02:22 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Quote:
Originally posted by PA_SVX
The DeSoto might be the Firedome. The Crysler might have been the Firepower. A LITTLE before my time, but chicane was correct. The Jetfire was a 215 Aluminum V-8. Turbocharged by Garrett in 1963 to make 215hp and get very reasonable fuel economy for the day. Good technology that went to waste as the just make it bigger crowd won out. It's completely opposite now. Imagine what GM would be like today had the horrible 70's not happened and they were doing DOHC, 4 valve heads, turbos, etc, instead of just big old pushrod 2 valve head mega v-8's.

Pontiac did a production OHC six-banger that cranked out about 210 HP in the mid '60s. Probably died because it sounded like a six. DeSoto had two engines in the mid-late 50's. The Firedome & Fireflite. The Fireflite may have been a six.
In my locale there's a sixtys Morgan running autocross with one of those 215 GM V8s up front. Schweet sounds!!

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:43 PM
SVX26517

Then... MY Slant Six 4Barrel 600-700CFM/Dutra Duals/ Nitrous maybe/ Bored .030/ 252 Comp Cam/ 8.25 Rear End, probably going to be upgraded to a Ford 9in./ and if i get crazy and bored after all of this, Turbo. This a project in the works people.

Now... Chrysler Crossfire, to tell ya the truth

my 2 cents......
Old 11-18-2003, 03:47 PM
SVX26517

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
340s are pretty screamin little blocks. But seriously.

One engine. One winner.

HEMI

Lazy fools! Get on your knees and bow down to the earth shaking power!!!!!!!!!

- Rob

IF i do get a Duster, or a Dart GT, Ill end up putting a 340 6 Barrel. All i have to do is find the all elusive 6 barrel intake.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:35 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Quote:
Originally posted by SVX26517
IF i do get a Duster, or a Dart GT, Ill end up putting a 340 6 Barrel. All i have to do is find the all elusive 6 barrel intake.
Then you proper terminology. SIX PACK!

heheheh.

- Rob
Old 11-18-2003, 07:44 PM
SVX26517

on the air cleaner of it, it was called a "340 Six Barrel" the 440 had the name six pack
Old 11-19-2003, 07:14 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
Anyone remember the only model year Corvette they never made?
Wow! I held off in replying immediately since this was asked halfway through the post. I figured someone would have answered it by now. But since they didn't...it was the year 1983. Seems they still had a lot of 82's left over and didn't want to compete the new design against the old one so they held production for a year. and released the "new Vette" as an '84 model. Total POS with that "Crossfire" Fuel Injection. Was happy they canned it after the first year. '85 and newer are the years ot own.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by arondale
this is my dad's "hot rod":
http://www.badbenz.com/badbenz/images/engine8.jpg
OMG! Your old man is my hero! I LOVE his Mercedes!! Sorry guys but I would dump my SVX in a heartbeat to own that baby. I now know what my goal is car-wise...to own a car like that. I love everything about it. The only thing I would do different is the wheel and tire combo.

The guy that designed the site did a fantastic job with the Flash as well. I think everyone should go to the main page and check it out. Awesome job!

Old 11-19-2003, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by PA_SVX
Imagine what GM would be like today had the horrible 70's not happened and they were doing DOHC, 4 valve heads, turbos, etc, instead of just big old pushrod 2 valve head mega v-8's.
I'm with you on that! Remember the Olds Quad4 engine form the late 80's? At one point it was making 200hp from a N/A 2.2 litre engine. I can only imagine what they could be cranking out these days if they focused on 4cyl engines as their high performance outlet.

Old 11-19-2003, 07:55 AM

Geez, I feel like I'm monopolizing this thread right now (sorry).

When I think of "Muscle cars" I think of huge engines regardless of body size. Cars like the Chargers and Impalas.

When I think of 'Cudas and Camaros and Mustangs I think of "Pony cars". Tons of HP in a small package.

Todays cars like the STi and Evo I label as modern muscle cars. Lets face it, the likely hood of huge V8's ever coming back in force is pretty slim. The future of muscle cars is more likely to be high-tech 4 and 6 cylinder cars with insane HP output crammed into a small package. While there will always be a few huge cube choices out there the primary muscle car of the future will be high-tech small cube.

When I think of muscle cars though I think of Mopar first (Hemi 'Cuda or the lesser known GTX), then GM (anything bearing the "SS" or "442" label).

I think of 300ZX tt, RX-7 tt (and other 300+hp Japanese cars) as "Japanese Super Cars" and am thinking the STi as crossing over into this class as well.

Old 11-19-2003, 07:57 AM

Last on for a while (I promise)!

To me the AC Cobra with the 427 side-oiler is the ultimate in muscle

Old 11-19-2003, 10:45 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Mopars rock. You have the sexy E bodies (Cudas and challengers), argueably some of the best looking cars ever made, you have the BRUTAL A-bodies (cudas and darts and dusters... demons too!) and the muscular B bodies (charger, coronets, GTXs, road runners, superbees, satellites, etc), the winged cars (superbird, daytonas), and the land yacht C bodies (fury, imperials, etc) and they all had great suspension (much tougher than run of the mill chevy or ford suspension) and an incredible selction of engines... the slant six, which will run FOR FREAKING EVER, the dependable 318 that can easily hit 200k, the high revving 340, the low cost but lotsa torque 383, the 'almost as fast as a hemi but maintenence free' 440, and the legendary 426 Hemi.

Good lord. Mopar used to kick so much ass. Anyone know about 'air grabber' hoods? DANG those are hot! And the road runner actually went 'meep meep' with the horn... and the air cleaner said 'coyote chaser' HehEHhee. Man it must have been fun working for that company.

- Rob
Old 11-19-2003, 11:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
What would have happened if there wasnt an economic crunch, or government restrictions? What would have happened if they put all the tech they have in the 4's and 6's into large 8's with big cubes? Would we be riding around with 500 cubic inch H-8's in our SVX with twin turbos putting out 800hp in the stock form??
Old 11-19-2003, 12:14 PM
Certified Porschephile

To correct the 6 barrel vs 6 pack question, Dodge called thiers 6 Pack, while Pylmouths were 6 barrels. There were 440 and 340 6 packs as well as 6 barrels.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:54 PM

THEN: First to come to mind were the Thunderbolts and Ramchargers, but those were purpose-built race cars that were never available for sale. I'm also tempted to say Shelby GT-350, which seemed a good balance of power as well as an ability to turn corners. I loved the SCCA A-Sedan Mustangs of the original Trans-Am series (although you gotta respect Mark Donohue in the Sunoco Camaro). But in those days, the big-engine-in-little-cars I lusted for were the Lotus Cortina (as raced by F-1 great Jim Clark) and the Sunbeam Tiger.

NOW: If I Were A Rich Man... Corvette Z06. yeah, that would do.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:40 PM
SVX26517

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
Mopars rock. You have the sexy E bodies (Cudas and challengers), argueably some of the best looking cars ever made, you have the BRUTAL A-bodies (cudas and darts and dusters... demons too!) and the muscular B bodies (charger, coronets, GTXs, road runners, superbees, satellites, etc), the winged cars (superbird, daytonas), and the land yacht C bodies (fury, imperials, etc) and they all had great suspension (much tougher than run of the mill chevy or ford suspension) and an incredible selction of engines... the slant six, which will run FOR FREAKING EVER, the dependable 318 that can easily hit 200k, the high revving 340, the low cost but lotsa torque 383, the 'almost as fast as a hemi but maintenence free' 440, and the legendary 426 Hemi.

Good lord. Mopar used to kick so much ass. Anyone know about 'air grabber' hoods? DANG those are hot! And the road runner actually went 'meep meep' with the horn... and the air cleaner said 'coyote chaser' HehEHhee. Man it must have been fun working for that company.

- Rob
Air grabber hoods i do know about. Looking for one for my Volare
im not very sure, but i think this one is one...
http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/...4467162130.jpg
thats on a 1980 Volare, and their ugly
heres mine, and shes purty
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...6517/13094.jpg
And i have a road runner horn