Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2003, 10:23 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Feedback/Thoughts/Comments - Meet #2!

Ok, Kienan kicked it off with the other thread.

The first real gathering of SVX'er occurred in Nov 2002 and there 8 SVX's (not bad from 97 in NSW!) and the fine hospitality of Martin Frosh at the bbq.

We lazed around and discussed the cars and had a great time!

Now, needless to say, the more ahem....young amongst us were also partial to a cruise.....however, given the wide range of ages and interest amongst us, this was not really possible unless we had a drive day.

So......

we can either have a get-together or
a cruise.

My thoughts are for a get-together initially then a cruise a few weeks later, the reason being that there are a number of new SVX'er amongst us and for those not partial to cruises, it would mean more SVX's in attendance.

A few weeks ago the Maserati Club of NSW had a get together at Vaucluse House here in Sydney - there was a very large 'western paddock' at the rear of the grounds that allowed the Maser's to park in rows and people brought along picnics - it also allowed them to have the car nuts pore over the cars while the passengers etc wandered off to the cafe or to the House itself.

I rang Vaucluse House and they said that since the aim was to get people to visit the House, they were thinking $7 per car (would allow 1 person into the house if they wished to use the ticket) and therefore allow people to come along who just wanted to see the SVX's, those who wanted to see the House etc could do so too...ie, it would work out to be $7 per SVX (entitling say, the driver also to enter the House itself) but otherwise no charge for everyone else (unless they wanted to enter the House itself).

Personally, I think its very reasonable - it would allow a very large, picturesque area for photos and picnic; its seperated from the rest of the car parks so we could have the place to ourselves; passengers etc who are not SVXnuts can wander around and amuse themselves while we look at o-ring seals and the like etc etc

What are people's thoughts? Say, late June, early July???

James

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 05-19-2003, 07:36 AM
the Flying Member

Send a message via AIM to pylon500 Send a message via Yahoo to pylon500 Send a message via Skype™ to pylon500
Hi James,
Like I said before, count me in, Vaucluse sounds good.
Can I put my hand up for a Sunday as I instruct on Saturdays and have trouble getting a stand in.
Had a brother-in-law over the other day to check out the SVX, seems he will talk to me now as I have something on his level (Nissan GTS), said we should go for a run up the Putty road, so I said "OK, how 'bout next weekend" (last)
"Oh no, it'll be too wet still!"
Ahh, the fun of too much power and only rear wheel drive
Arthur
ps, can anyone tell me how to use the text color thing
'04 Liberty B Spec 3.0R wagon-Silver
'02 Outback 2.5 wagon-White For Sale

I Don't Drive Fast, I Just Fly Low!!
I've moved to Taree , check out my progress at Picasaweb.

That's a 'V' in SVX dammit!
Old 05-19-2003, 05:14 PM

Great! Now, where are the rest of you!!

If you ever want another SVX on a Putty Road run, gimme a holler - would be interesting!!

James

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 05-20-2003, 02:47 AM
Countess

Count me in ! Well, depending which weekend it is ...

Can you get to Vaucluse by train? *grin*

Insurance idjits posting my cheque tomorrow, so they say ...
Old 05-22-2003, 02:35 AM
Kienan

how mates, how you all going?

It doesnt really worry me were we hold the meet. But i have one ask. Can we not have it on any last weekend of any month.
Because the last weekend of the month, i always have a go carting race on.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:15 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Hi All, sorry I have not been active down here. First welcome to Countess, sad about the car. Arthur welcome to you too, I have been reading the posts and will look forward to meeting you both..

I am right for a meet, July would be the earlest for me. I think a get together would work better than a drive. After all it's a 6 hour drive to get there and I would like to meet and talk with the new fokes and see James and Blake again.

A correction. The first meet only had the three of us, 3 the first time, 8 the next. The next one will see the group grow.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-29-2003, 06:23 AM
the Flying Member

Send a message via AIM to pylon500 Send a message via Yahoo to pylon500 Send a message via Skype™ to pylon500
Gee, it went quiet all of a sudden
I was hoping to see more of the Sydneites pop up on the site for the get-together.
Hello, Anyone there?
Does anyone know where I can get a high resolution version of the
SVX.net logo as I was thinking of doing a few business cards to stick on stray SVX windscreens when I find them , notably the Burgundy/Black one I see near Maquarie Uni.
That brings up an off thread question (and please excuse my ignorance ), are
Burgundy and Claret the same colour?
I see the two colours mentioned in various posts, but not many photo's to depict if the same or not.
Actually, while I'm wearing my pointy
white hat I may as well ask; What's the difference between an LSi and an LS-L
Arthur.

ps now I see why not many bother with coloured fonts it took me ten minutes to draft the message, and half an hour to do the colouring!!!

Old 05-29-2003, 11:48 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by pylon500
Gee, it went quiet all of a sudden
I was hoping to see more of the Sydneites pop up on the site for the get-together.
Hello, Anyone there?
Does anyone know where I can get a high resolution version of the
SVX.net

Arthur,

The designer of the logo is John Hoffman, who is a graphic designer. I am sure if you send him a Private Message [PM], and say what you want, he will send you a hi-res copy. His handle is svxcess, look him up in the "Members" list, and PM or email him from there.

logo as I was thinking of doing a few business cards to stick on stray SVX windscreens when I find them , notably the Burgundy/Black one I see near Maquarie Uni.
That brings up an off thread question (and please excuse my ignorance ), are
Burgundy and Claret the same colour?
I see the two colours mentioned in various posts, but not many photo's to depict if the same or not.

No, they are similar, but not the same. Claret is a good deal darker, and I prefer it, although the Burgundy is a nice colour also.

In general, if they are Black over Very Dark Red, then it's Claret. It changed to Burgundy the year the roof and bootlid was made same colour all over.
[In Japan, they had black over a very tasty darkish red, not so bright as the flaming reds you see, a tasty colour. Scarce one though]

Actually, while I'm wearing my pointy
white hat I may as well ask; What's the difference between an LSi and an LS-L
Arthur.

ps now I see why not many bother with coloured fonts it took me ten minutes to draft the message, and half an hour to do the colouring!!!
These are US market designations. I think Oz cars came with everything, maybe except active steering on the back wheels. You could ask on the US Babble what they mean.

For colours, check out www.subarusvx.com He has lots of pictures of all colours.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 05-29-2003, 11:52 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Red face

Correction, Arthur

He does not have loads of pictures of all colours, only of the US colours.

He has only a few of the yellow, and none of the graphite grey like James' car, also none of the black over darkish red I mentioned.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 05-29-2003, 04:55 PM

Hi

I thought it was getting quiet....I've 'recruited' another 2 SVX'ers who may (or may not) come to this forum - I have their contact details in any event and one poor chap is having trouble with his transmission :-(

I printed off a few flyers that I keep in the car that I stick on windows.....there have been a few occasions where I have chased them!!

The one that I feel most guilty about was a green 1995+ car.....chased him for ages and he only pulled over because he thought I was an undercover police car!!! (I was in the Camry)....given that I, by then, had my SVX, I was thinking on the way home..."what would I do?" and came to the conclusion....."hello Mr Green Power light, greetings VTD and AWD, bye bye pursuer!!"....

I don't chase them any more! Oh, that and Cassie refuses to get out at lights and run up to them clutching a note that I have scribbled whilst gibbering like a baboon!!

Harvey is up for a July gathering which gives enough lead time - I may try and get some Subaru dealers to pass out flyers if they can.

In the meantime, is anyone up for an informal get-together??? Perhaps pizza one evening at Mac Uni (pylon's gourmet place perhaps??) and we can box in the other burgandy one and assimilate him/her!

James

Old 05-30-2003, 06:14 AM
the Flying Member

YOU WILL go to the Mediterranean Gourmet Pizza at shop 8/1 Trafalgar Place Marsfield as, RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Oh, but not next Tuesday as I have a meeting to go to, sorry
Arthur.

Old 05-30-2003, 07:58 AM
Countess

I might have to come to the meets, etc ... in a 300ZX ... I saw one today ... going car shopping tomorrow. She is going to be hard to top, I have had this fascination with them for years ...

I know, I know, she is not an SVX, but that may have to wait a while. She is red that means she goes goes goes fasterrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I will be good and check out a few other car yards first, then *evil grin* go back there to have a test drive *drewl* over to my mechanic's for a little visit.

*cheers the peeps*

You doodz and doodzettes have a great one. Type to ya sooooon.

Well ... I sleepy drugged, time for drug induced sleep (if I can get to the bed)

P.S. My dad did not get the wreck of my baby, she went for $4600. He assumed with the way I was hit, and the force, and the fact that the engine crunched the radiator (from being hit in the rear) that it would be worth about $2000. He was worried about the gearbox stuff, and other bits I don't remember, that run under the car and do important stuff ...

Now, Shhhh I said I am going to bed.
Old 05-30-2003, 04:53 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Thumbs up

Tessie

If you are serious about it, get it well checked out. I love those cars, they are lots quicker than an SVX. Almost bought one before I got the ICBP.

Couple of things to look out for;

i) the rear suspension has passive steering, Nissan call it Hi-Cas. Check it out well, if bushes were not replaced as required, holes will be ovaled, and very costly to repair.

ii) cats. It has lots of them. If they are gone, will be an expensive fix. Check it on a gas analyser.

iii) turbo. Avoid one that has been chipped up, make sure the turbo is good, blown turbo is expensive.

Lastly, if you do buy it, be really careful in the wet, it has nothing like the stabilty of the SVX, in fact, they are dangerous for the inexperienced. So take care.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 05-31-2003, 09:51 PM

Hi

Sorry to hear that the SVX did not make it to you - you'll have to let us know the VIN and engine number so that it can go on the register.

With the 300ZX, great car ....but..... a LOT of problems. Mechanics hate working on them since the engine bay is so cramped; don't go near a twin turbo (the Jap import ones - all clocked!); the Australian delivered ones didn't get HICAS but on the import ones, its there (although active not passive) - more things to go wrong!

Did you havea look at the 2 that were on drive.com??

Also, pizza night sounds good - say the week after next perhaps??

James

Old 06-01-2003, 04:50 AM
the Flying Member

I don't know if there's something wrong with my computer, but this will be the third attempt to upload this post
I have two choices for our night out;
On Tuesdays, my flying buddies usually go to the movies at the Macquarie Centre, the week of the 10th will no doubt be
"TOO FAST, TOO FURIOUS" a good movie for car heads , then followed by a visit to the Mediterranean Gourmet Pizza Restuarant.
This could prove a late night although the guys at the restaurant will often stay late for us as we are regulars, and we tip well .
If this is a bit much, we could try just the restaurant on Wednesday the 11th at say 7:00pm?
That's my hand, your move....
Arthur.