Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2003, 05:10 AM
Countess

You love it how much?

!!! GOTTA LOVE THIS CAR!!!

Hi there everyone who reads this. I am the PROUD new owner of a 1992 black SVX.

My mum and dad have owned one for quite a few years now.

After it took 10 weeks to get an insurance cheque because some F^#$& thought my Mazda MX6 would look better trashed and stripped, my dad convinced me Subaru was the way to go.

I have previously owned a Liberty, and it was a pretty special car, hardly broke down, even thought I thrashed it !!

Anyways, I now have a sexy SVX to match my dad's 93 grey one. I plan to very soon install a monster CD/MP3 player, harlequin/chameleon paint at least the spolier on the back, and tint the windows as dark as I can.

One day, I might actually be able to afford to paint him purple all over! Not that I am obsessed ...

It is super to drive, handles like a dream, and I have not had the oportunity (lack of other vehicles and trees) to test out the speed *properly*

If you are interested, here are my car ownership details ...
http://users.bigpond.net.au/countess/cars.html
Old 04-23-2003, 07:48 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Thumbs up

Hi Tessie

Welcome to the family. That looks to be a real nice SVX, bodywork looks to be in ace condition. Mind you, so also did your MX6!

What have they got against MX6s to do so much damage? I can only assume they stripped it for parts before dumping it. Not defending them, I hate thieves, but for your economic health, it is better to get back a complete write-off, that way you are not short-changed by the insurance company.

BTW, your dad will echo this advice. If you thrash the SVX, the tranny will fail. If it does not already have an extra oil cooler, get one before you do much harm. You don't sound like someone who is going to pussyfoot around [I'm a biker myself, I can recognise the petrolhead breeding ] My car is ex Japan. Does yours also have the switch on the console that can put the gearbox in POWER mode??

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-23-2003, 08:43 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Tessie,
Welcome to the SVX World Network Forums!!!

I looked, with horror, at your MX6 pics. I can't even imagine having that done to my car. I'd become an absolute maniac until I made SOMEONE pay, and pay dearly. I had my car broken into and my stereo stolen, while the car sat in my rural driveway, once, and I felt completely "violated." The damage shown in your photos would be grounds for declaration of war! The bastiges!!!

Meanwhile, the MX6 would never get you the most important option that comes with the SVX. Namely, this wild and whacky group of fanatics and all 'round great folks.

Again, welcome.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-23-2003, 10:35 AM
Countess

*swirls her cape and thanks you for the replies* This sounds like a good place to be at 2am when I cannot sleep, so I shall read about cars.
Yes, thank you, svxisentialist, I have this reputation for being a petrolhead. I had to sell my bike, being as it was too top heavy and I dropped it on almost every corner, then could not pick it up *grin* I just a lil girl.

He has painted not too long ago, altho the rear bumper looks pretty ****e.

No, there is no button for Power, the Owner Manual (for the 1993, I do not have the 1992 for my car) says it goes into auto power mode when needed. I am *trying* to be good, honest !!

And, Aredubjay (does that have a meaning?) My MX6 *sob* All I can say is that they are DAMN lucky I did not pay the $4000 to have it painted purple like I was saving for, and I was only $500 off it too. I cried when I saw him.

We went away to buy an investment unit, came back and found my front window in the carpark, and nothing else. There were only about 10 other cars in the whole carpark, but I did the whole I must have parked it somewhere else thing ...

And, no, I better never find out who did that to my baby, or I will be likely to be in hospital unless there is some male around to help me after I hit em the first time and they start hitting back *evil grin*

*Looks all through her book again, having missed that important option* Maybe I shall print it out and put in an amendment to Subaru ...

Thanks !!!
Old 04-23-2003, 11:25 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Hi Tessie

Sorry to hear about your Suzie. I had a rented Pan European in Scotland, and dropped it both sides for the same reason, big bike, mini me. Now if I can't get both feet to the floor without my cojones touching my tonsils, I won't ride it, too much stress in stop-go traffic.

The POWER switch must only be available on the Japanese models. It means I can switch in an extra 40 hp when I want it.
[Dons fireproof suit and runs]

Don't forget what I said about the extra cooler, will save you dollars.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-23-2003, 11:36 AM
Countess

Lightbulb

I won't forget. Will talk to the mechanic people. I got them to give it a going over to see how much money I need to spend, and he is holding up pretty well. Gotta replace the radiator tank this week, the guy I bought it from took it for a test drive 2 days before I picked it up, and it cracked *grin* He was not real happy. He put some high temp resin and fibreglass over the top of it, but I do not want to chance it, so new one going in this week !!! Gotta 6 hour trip each way on May 10 to go play with my daddy's SVX, and get a thief deterrent put in ... on top of the current immobiliser. No bugger gettin this one !

Then, transmission service, then 2 new tyres, then some paint *rubs her hands together gleefully*

Silly motorbikes Hope you did not get hurt!

Now, I think I will try that bed thing again, have to be up in 4 hours to go to work *sigh* Have a good one !

Oh yeah, where are all my fellow aussies? Get out of bed and talk to me *beg*
Old 04-23-2003, 11:38 AM
Countess

Oh yea, *ponders a turbo install* Not that I could then afford the insurance ... But, would be nice !!! Can't you just post me your power button?
Old 04-23-2003, 04:43 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Just kidding

Quote:
Originally posted by Countess
Oh yea, *ponders a turbo install* Not that I could then afford the insurance ... But, would be nice !!! Can't you just post me your power button?
I was kidding about the extra 40 horses. The POWER mode comes in on demand for US and English and obviously Australian cars also. It's a different shift map for the tranny. Makes it more willing to change to a lower gear for overtaking, and also will hold the lower gear for longer when accelerating hard. BMWs have something similar in their boxes, except they call it Sport mode.

The tranny computer [TCU] decides to use this other shift map based on things like what gear you are in, what speed you are doing, how fast you have depressed the throttle etc. Then the green POWER light comes on and the car moves a bit. In my JDM model, I can switch it on permanently.

People joke about it adding 30-40 hp to the car, which is why I was donning the flame suit. In actual use though, it will hold each gear till about 4000rpm before changing up. In standard mode, it changes up much earlier, a little over 2000rpm. As you may know, peak hp occurs at 4000rpm. So being able to force POWER mode means you get up to peak hp in every gear. This actually means you are accessing an extra 40 hp or so that you would not normally feel because the car TCU changes up too early all the time for smoothness. It does actually feel like the car is much more powerful.

Regards the bike, only my pride was dented, low speed drops. That was 98, I have been an upright citizen for 5 years now, and intend to remain so.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-23-2003, 09:07 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink

Now, I think I will try that bed thing again, have to be up in 4 hours to go to work *sigh* Have a good one !

Oh yeah, where are all my fellow aussies? Get out of bed and talk to me *beg*[/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE]

Just remember that when Aussies sleep, Americans creep. Don't be afraid to expand your horizons, Tessie.

Ron (Honorary Wombat).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:25 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Welcome to the forum Tessie. Hope you enjoy your SVX as much as all of us do. The best part of this car is all of the people here who are willing to help you and answer your questions. Well sometimes that is. There always seems to be someone around here at any time of the day or night. (unless you need them)

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 04-24-2003, 04:51 AM
Countess

Yes, there are many benefits of this forum, I have seen so far. Every mechanic / car person I know here in Oz is telling me what a bad thing I have done, in relation to there not being many SVXs here, thus I shall have no end of problems when he does break down - but I cannot seem to let them depress me ... the grin on my face is too huge atm !!

Ron : I have nothing against you guys / gals from other nationalities, honest. Just wanted some Aussies as I think a SVX meet would be a great thing, all those loverrrrrrly cars all together in a row would make a great impression !! I have a few friends in US mainly from online computer games & IRC.

svxistentialist : I love that description you gave, ta! I knew *kinda* what it did, but that puts it in great terms for a not very technical minded girl to understand ! Now I can look really smart and toss it into conversation at work. I dazzled them last week with my knowledge of the engine. They freaked out when I told them it had a boxer engine ... not a V6, then explained I knew some of the differences ... poor bois !

ensteele: You own 4 SVXs ??? Holy crap !!!! Mine cost me $17,000 (that is 1/4 my yearly pay). I know there is the whole US$ and AU$ thing, but you guys all talk about $3,000 up *sob*

I will do a signature soon, I promise ... gotta think of something kewl !
Old 04-24-2003, 04:52 AM
Countess

I also cannot type tonight ... 1/2 my yearly pay, not 1/4. *slaps her fingers*

Sorry guys, too much typing at work today, brain now turned off !!
Old 04-24-2003, 05:19 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
[COLOR=purple]

Then, transmission service, then 2 new tyres, then some paint *rubs her hands together gleefully*

Silly motorbikes Hope you did not get hurt!

COLOR]

From another Biker/SVXer, never, ever, never, replace just 2 tires on an AWD car, you're just askig to trash the front diff (tranny).
Always replace them as a whole set, cost a little more now, but a LOT LESS later.
Just a bit of advise.

Welcome to the network.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 04-24-2003, 07:43 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

Ron : I have nothing against you guys / gals from other nationalities, honest. Just wanted some Aussies as I think a SVX meet would be a great thing, all those loverrrrrrly cars all together in a row would make a great impression !! I have a few friends in US mainly from online computer games & IRC.

Would someone please shake the beds of James & Harvey? These two Ozites are never at a loss for words. You are not alone down there, Tessie.
For a look at "rows & rows", go to some of the meet forums & dig out the photos from member's lockers. The latest was the Reading, PA gathering.
Ultimately, the world SVX community would like to assemble in Geneva someday, but shipping 3800 lbs. to Europe presents a problem. We can dream, though.

Welcome Here.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 04-24-2003, 12:50 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
And, Aredubjay (does that have a meaning?)
No. It's quite benign, actually. It's the "Hooked on Phonics" version of my initials: RWJ.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI