How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-15-2003, 08:07 PM
double0bondo

codes 11 and 13????? how??

ok, car still isnt running, i just checked the codes, and it shows 13 then 11, now i read what they are 13, 13 says "no signal from cam angle sensor, but signal from crank angle sensor 1" 11 states "no signal from crank angle sensor 1 for more then 3 seconds after start" any ideas on disephering this prob? i would clear the codes and start over to see what i get, BUT the car wont start so will it show the acutal code?
Old 01-15-2003, 09:04 PM
gschabel

Sound like the timing belt slipped as a lot of that has been going on around here!

What year is your car? If it is OBDII, the readers also often clear the codes, at least mine does.

If you disconnect the battery overnite it will also clear the codes.

Perhaps the sensors did go bad.

Where are you in NY? I'm on LI.
Old 01-15-2003, 09:22 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Did the car just quit and won't restart? What has changed/happened recently that may have caused this? Any electrical or wiring changes? Are all of the ground wires attached to the engine? You might loosen and re-tighten them.

If nothing there helps you really need a good graphing multi-meter to check the sensors properly. The sensors need to be checked to see if they are generating signals, if o.k. the connector at the ECU needs to be checked for the same signals. If there are good signals at the ECU the ECU is bad.

It's possible that only the cam sensor is bad, Subaru's logic, at least from what Alldata is showing, isn't entirely clear. You might check the timing belt also. The translation here is not very clear.
Old 01-15-2003, 11:29 PM

Subaru manual says you should investigate the code with the lowest number first - i.e. only code 11 may be real and code 13 induced by whatever problem is causing code 11.

There are 3 sensors in total - two crankshaft sensors and one camshaft, so in theory ECU might detect failure of two sensors by having a signal from the third one, however it is very unlikely that two sensors have failed simultaneously. It is either a mechanical problem (crankshaft sprocket destroyed the key and spins on crankshaft) or a wiring problem (I believe the wires from both sensors go together in a harness.

Also camshaft sensor is interchangeable with the second crankshaft sensor - try swapping them and see if you get code 29 instead of code 13, but I would check the timing belft first, as it is much more likely culprit.

All 3 sensors are critical - engine will not start without any one.
Old 01-15-2003, 11:34 PM

Forgot to mention that the codes are registered after about 3 seconds of cranking engine. I was keeping ECU in "read memory" mode.
I was not able to reset ECU memory other than by disconnecting battery and waiting - if engine does not start, the normal reset memory does not work.