SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Hi Mr. Penguin!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
1992 SVX Alarm Issue

I have an interesting issue with my 1992 SVX- the owner's manual and the shop manuals both say the car has an alarm system, as does the little sticker on the side window. There is an alarm brain in the vehicle, and on perhaps 2 or 3 occasions, it has actually gone off with the horn honking and lights flashing and whatnot. It did not come with a remote keyfob when I bought it.

What is odd is there is no security switch in the car- there's the cruise and fog switch, but where the security switch should be, there is none. There was a metal toggle switch on the driver side kickpanel by the diag connectors, but it was not hooked up to anything, nor is there a harness there for it to plug into. It looks aftermarket regardless.

Question is, how is the system activated/deactivated without the security switch, and more importantly, how can I program the fob I purchased without it? EVERYTHING I find says it should have the security system and the switch. I am on the threshold of just buying that bank of switches from a wrecking yard and give it a go, but is there something I'm missing?

Thanks!
Brian
Old 12-24-2010, 11:15 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX
Re: 1992 SVX Alarm Issue

Is your car an LSi or LS model?

Any chance there was an aftermarket security system at one time? I don't know why they would have taken out the button though...
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 12-25-2010, 06:23 AM
Hi Mr. Penguin!

Registered SVX

It's an LS-L with the touring package, so you'd figure it'd get all the bells and whistles. I don't see any evidence of an aftermarket alarm install- based on the aftermarket radio install that was done, there would be no way to miss an alarm install .

It has the starter kill relay as well I found. I bought a panel of switches on eBay that includes the security switch, and I guess I'll see what happens.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:57 PM

Registered SVX

Let us know how that goes. That is really strange though.

What's unusual about the starter kill relay?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 12-25-2010, 10:13 PM
Hi Mr. Penguin!

Registered SVX

Oh, there was nothing unusual about it, other than where it was shoved into the dash- I have a feeling one of the 4 previous owners probably mucked about with it, as it was untaped from the bundle it should have been in.

I feel bad for all the injustices this car seems to have endured in its 18 years. I took dad for a ride in it though, and he wants one now- looking at picking up a 92 Claret for him on Tuesday ! He's another multiple-Subaru owner, and this would be his 6th.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:42 AM

Registered SVX

I hear you about the injustices. My claret was treated pretty bad it seems. Clearcoat is peeling and had a lot of issues when i got it a couple of months ago. Now everything is fixed and you can tell she wants to roam again. We have been driving it for about a week now and it has really impressed me. At least it is at a loving home now. I also would like to now how to get a key fob and get it programmed for my car. Mine only came with one single key.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:46 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs92svx View Post
I also would like to now how to get a key fob and get it programmed for my car. Mine only came with one single key.
Do you still have the stock security system? Turn the security switch on and off and see if it lights up. Keyfobs pop up for sale every so often and they're not very difficult to program, but the system had to still be working. I think new keyfobs are around $50 btw. The programming procedure is in the how-to docs.

Last edited by icingdeath88; 12-28-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Hi Mr. Penguin!

Registered SVX

Just as an update, I got the bank of switches with a security switch in it, plugged it in, and it immediately lit up blinking like the system was armed. I programmed the remote, and was able to arm/disarm and lock/unlock as normal. I have no idea why it didn't have a security switch it in, but with one in there it works as it should.

Pic attached of the blank at the security switch spot vs. the proper bank of switches. I have seen the "no security" ones on eBay, and I figure they must come from Canadian cars (?).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg security.jpg (97.1 KB, 204 views)
Old 01-06-2019, 06:34 PM

I had all kinds of strange problems with my car alarm after I had a mechanic replace the failed radiator fan switches on it...
It was simple.. I disconnected the negative battery terminal and put it back on after 5 minutes.
Also note: A bad car battery and old batteries in the Remote key FOB will make the alarm sound too!

Extra note: The battery was new at that time when I reset the alarm by disconnecting/reconnecting the battery connector.

Last edited by RisingPhoenix; 01-07-2019 at 12:19 AM. Reason: To add..
Old 01-07-2019, 12:33 AM

Cool Re: 1992 SVX Alarm Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Ursalia View Post
Just as an update, I got the bank of switches with a security switch in it, plugged it in, and it immediately lit up blinking like the system was armed. I programmed the remote, and was able to arm/disarm and lock/unlock as normal. I have no idea why it didn't have a security switch it in, but with one in there it works as it should.

Pic attached of the blank at the security switch spot vs. the proper bank of switches. I have seen the "no security" ones on eBay, and I figure they must come from Canadian cars (?).
To be blunt, I'm not sure how it would affect the locks and alarm? Maybe there's a weak relay in there somewhere, or, what happened to me one day...I was *Locked inside the car*

I thought a poltergeist had me...it was just a bad door solenoid (it locked up in one position)