SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-02-2011, 06:14 PM
work in progress

Send a message via AIM to LastSVXintheChi
Registered SVX
Keyless entry finally died...I think

So after almost 2 decades I believe the keyless entry system on my '92 SVX finally died and a month after I bought a new remote too...I dont know if it can be fixed I was looking through some old threads and it seems the best thing to do is just get an aftermarket system...but I am kind of curious as to if anyone would know what happened to it...I got to work got out locked the car with the remote, then 2 hours later came out and tried to unlock it with the remote and nothing. So I unlocked it on the passengers side with the key and the alarm went off lol...I unlocked it from the passangers side because I think the drivers side one is jacked up...so yeah that's it and hasn't worked since then it is kinda odd cus it worked then it didn't

Thanks for your thoughts

1992 dark teal SVX LS
Old 05-02-2011, 07:07 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Keyless entry finally died...I think

Buy a used security module from a part out, then reprogram it for your remotes. Forget those stupid aftermarket systems.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 05-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Im REALLY addicted! CANT STOP!

Send a message via MSN to mysvxrocks Send a message via Yahoo to mysvxrocks

I tried the security module thing... THREE of them later, I put in an aftermarket system. I dont think they're stupid, the remote distance was a LOT farther away, and it had some really nice options like a glass break sensor. Kinda spendy option, but well worth it imo.

2006 Infra-Red Ford Focus ZX3 ~ 67k

No longer SVX'n, Ill always miss them!

1995 Polo Green LS-i ~ 95k
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~ 145k (04/91) #2231
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
Old 05-02-2011, 08:19 PM

Registered SVX

My door locks chatter then lock me inside the car. I had to finally pull the fuse. So u still think I should try to fix it rather than let a car alarm place install a car starter with remote door locks ...So how do u fix them .
Old 05-02-2011, 08:31 PM
work in progress

Registered SVX

Yeah I was thinking aftermarket too...the best buy over here will do the keyless entry for $75 but they will do security, keyless, and remote start for $199.99...anyone used best buy before?

1992 dark teal SVX LS
Old 05-02-2011, 08:36 PM

Registered SVX

So even though the car had kyeless remote doors the new auto start will bypass it and they put in new keyless remote door locks . I was afraid they would try to use the OEM
Old 05-02-2011, 08:55 PM
work in progress

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
So even though the car had kyeless remote doors the new auto start will bypass it and they put in new keyless remote door locks . I was afraid they would try to use the OEM
My mom had it put on her 2005 durango and they by passed everything and just added the auto start and hers works fine

1992 dark teal SVX LS
Old 05-03-2011, 09:37 AM
work in progress

Registered SVX
Question Re: Keyless entry finally died...I think

has anyone ever heard of a keyless remote resetting itself or losing the signal you programmed it with???

1992 dark teal SVX LS
Old 05-03-2011, 06:24 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSVXintheChi View Post
has anyone ever heard of a keyless remote resetting itself or losing the signal you programmed it with???
Depending on which security module you have, the early 92's had active alarm, meaning that after the car was off and you closed the doors and trunk it would arm itself after so much time, locking the doors as well.
That box would lose the code between the remote and module if you pulled the battery from the car, or it drained to dead.

The rest of them should keep the code stored I know mine will I have pulled the battery for a few days and when I put it back the remote still worked.

That being said 2 days ago I had a similar episode to what you described.

I had hit the button and armed and locked the car the next morning I came out hit the button and it chirped twice as it should I walked to the door and it was still locked, I hit the button again it chirped once I waited a few seconds tried the door still locked, hit the button again... again chirped twice but I did not hear the power lock unlocking after a min I unlocked with the key rolled down the windows got out hit the button it chirped once the locks locked. I hit the button again 2 beeps but no unlock. I tried this in a few combinations a couple of times and then I unlocked it by reaching through the window and pulling up the lever. Then I hit the lock button and it went down, I pulled it up and then hit the unlock then I pushed it down and it went right back up, on its own. All the while the power portion was still working as when one moved the other did as well. I tried experimenting a few times with the lock moving itself if I hit unlock but manually locked it every time it would pop back up.
Finally I just decided to walk away I was not finding anything useful. I rolled up the windows again shut it hit the button it locked and the next morning I came out hit the remote button and the locks opened.
No problem since I have no idea why it was being a pain that morning.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:42 PM
work in progress

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
Depending on which security module you have, the early 92's had active alarm, meaning that after the car was off and you closed the doors and trunk it would arm itself after so much time, locking the doors as well.
That box would lose the code between the remote and module if you pulled the battery from the car, or it drained to dead.

The rest of them should keep the code stored I know mine will I have pulled the battery for a few days and when I put it back the remote still worked.

That being said 2 days ago I had a similar episode to what you described.

I had hit the button and armed and locked the car the next morning I came out hit the button and it chirped twice as it should I walked to the door and it was still locked, I hit the button again it chirped once I waited a few seconds tried the door still locked, hit the button again... again chirped twice but I did not hear the power lock unlocking after a min I unlocked with the key rolled down the windows got out hit the button it chirped once the locks locked. I hit the button again 2 beeps but no unlock. I tried this in a few combinations a couple of times and then I unlocked it by reaching through the window and pulling up the lever. Then I hit the lock button and it went down, I pulled it up and then hit the unlock then I pushed it down and it went right back up, on its own. All the while the power portion was still working as when one moved the other did as well. I tried experimenting a few times with the lock moving itself if I hit unlock but manually locked it every time it would pop back up.
Finally I just decided to walk away I was not finding anything useful. I rolled up the windows again shut it hit the button it locked and the next morning I came out hit the remote button and the locks opened.
No problem since I have no idea why it was being a pain that morning.
I actually have a '92 but I have the battery out for several hours changing the Spark plugs forthe first time lol took me 5 hours and it worked fine afterwards still...this isn't the stock remote I had to buy a replacement cus the original button finally broke...I tried reprogramming but it didn't work so I think it might be the remote so I emailed keyless ride since that's where i got it from...I hope it's that

1992 dark teal SVX LS
Old 05-03-2011, 06:49 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSVXintheChi View Post
I actually have a '92 but I have the battery out for several hours changing the Spark plugs forthe first time lol took me 5 hours and it worked fine afterwards still...this isn't the stock remote I had to buy a replacement cus the original button finally broke...I tried reprogramming but it didn't work so I think it might be the remote so I emailed keyless ride since that's where i got it from...I hope it's that
I have 2 of the keyless rides remotes, no originals. Never had any problems with the remotes, as I said the problem I had was the lock actually doing what it was supposed to. the alarm always armed and disarmed, the lights and horn did what they were supposed to.

Check your battery on the remote? I too think your remote might have been the culprit. Hope it gets replaced and working.