IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Transmission Slipping Please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Whatever you do, get the line pressure tested before giving up hope and committing yourself to big money.

If your starter was cranking badly, would you test battery voltage, or rush out and buy new starter motor?
Trevor, the line pressure is building properly. "Hard shift from the park position" lends me to believe line pressure is normal and increased beyond normal when the dropping reisistor is disconnected... Speaking from experience this is the case.

Tom
Old 02-12-2010, 02:43 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Trevor, the line pressure is building properly. "Hard shift from the park position" lends me to believe line pressure is normal and increased beyond normal when the dropping reisistor is disconnected... Speaking from experience this is the case.

Tom
Kia ora Tom,

I agree with what you say, but is it wise to be so positive when passing judgement?

Just how hard is the shift from park? How accurately have the overall symptoms been described?

I believe that a line pressure test is worthwhile given the circumstances.

Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-12-2010, 03:05 PM
Maniac modifier

do or advise as you please... It is of my opinion the clutches are worn out. Sometimes you don't have to read every word in a sentence to understand what it is saying.

Tom
Old 02-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I'd have to agree with Tom. I've had my high clutch fail and this is exactly how it happens. 100k is quite a bit to get out of a stock trans expecially if there was never a trans cooler added or if there was even a moderate amount of city driving. I was told my trans was rebuilt at 70k and yet it failed at 104k. Plus, I'm pretty sure Tom has quite a bit of experience with failing transmissions or the SVX itself in general...

Just my $.02
Old 02-12-2010, 04:55 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
I'm pretty sure Tom has quite a bit of experience with fail

Just my $.02
Yes!!!

Tom
Old 02-12-2010, 04:55 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
I'd have to agree with Tom. I've had my high clutch fail and this is exactly how it happens. 100k is quite a bit to get out of a stock trans expecially if there was never a trans cooler added or if there was even a moderate amount of city driving. I was told my trans was rebuilt at 70k and yet it failed at 104k. Plus, I'm pretty sure Tom has quite a bit of experience with failing transmissions or the SVX itself in general...

Just my $.02
Understood.

$0.02 Bet $2,000+ of someone else's money if you will, I am not prepared follow suit.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-19-2010, 09:11 PM

Well guys...thank you all. I had a line pressure test done and sure enough...all was good. Well as I was told. Im certain that it was from my use of the car. I live in a small town and quite honestly would put most of the miles on it in town. My assumption would be the clutches are bad. It slipped my mind, but thats gotta be it. I cannot afford a rebuild so it will be parted out. I own another one so it will be nice to keep laying around. PM me if parts are needed. Its a 1996 black lsi. Tan leather. Front bumper is no good. front fenders are in rough shape...everything else pretty much is for grabs. The engine and rear diff might be accounted for, but still tell me if interested.

Thanks again!
Old 02-19-2010, 09:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee55987 View Post
Well guys...thank you all. I had a line pressure test done and sure enough...all was good. Well as I was told. Im certain that it was from my use of the car. I live in a small town and quite honestly would put most of the miles on it in town. My assumption would be the clutches are bad. It slipped my mind, but thats gotta be it. I cannot afford a rebuild so it will be parted out. I own another one so it will be nice to keep laying around. PM me if parts are needed. Its a 1996 black lsi. Tan leather. Front bumper is no good. front fenders are in rough shape...everything else pretty much is for grabs. The engine and rear diff might be accounted for, but still tell me if interested.

Thanks again!
IBomgdontpartitout
2001 Audi S8
Old 02-19-2010, 09:14 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Yes it is better to use third around town, sorry about that mate.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:45 AM

Registered SVX

Why do people part these out just cuz the transmission, a 4.44 swap will only cost you about $500 plus fluids and if you don't have the capability, go give a couple friends some beer to do it. I've done a trans R&R in my driveway when it was 40 degrees by myself...
Old 02-22-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Why do people part these out just cuz the transmission, a 4.44 swap will only cost you about $500 plus fluids and if you don't have the capability, go give a couple friends some beer to do it. I've done a trans R&R in my driveway when it was 40 degrees by myself...
I did the 4.44 swap on my other svx.

I think that if the vehicle was in better condition, I might consider it. Its rusty and the motor has 200,000 on it. I know the motors are practically bullet proof, but I cannot invest money into something that will not even give back a fraction of what I put into it.

I guess I'm just one of those people. If you would wanna do it, I will sell it to you cheap... otherwise, I'm sure there are many better fit Svxs out there that could use some of the parts.

One good car is better than two broken ones...
Old 02-22-2010, 08:33 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee55987 View Post
I did the 4.44 swap on my other svx.

I think that if the vehicle was in better condition, I might consider it. Its rusty and the motor has 200,000 on it. I know the motors are practically bullet proof, but I cannot invest money into something that will not even give back a fraction of what I put into it.

I guess I'm just one of those people. If you would wanna do it, I will sell it to you cheap... otherwise, I'm sure there are many better fit Svxs out there that could use some of the parts.

One good car is better than two broken ones...
True... I get your point. I may be interested. How bad of rust? I'm guessing the doors are junk, what kinda shape are the quarter panels... send me some pics whenever you get the chance. I would be interested in one thats a little more rusty to use as a winter "beater" SVX anyway.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:02 PM

Well, the rust is pretty bad. Under the plastic door trims, there is rust forming and its starting to make them peel off. The rear quarters are bad. The front bumper is pretty beat up. Part of the bottom has broken off. The list goes on, lets just say it was my winter beater already lol. I live in winona mn, so you get the point.

Let ssee exhaust leaks and its not just a gasket--I looked into that already.
also, it wouls need new cv joints. Boots are torn. It just not worth it really. I might pull the motor on it and sell that and then possibly just find needy svxers that could use some parts of my soon to be sacrificed SVX..
Old 02-24-2010, 08:20 PM

Registered SVX

haha, alright. Just figured i'd ask
Old 02-24-2010, 11:49 PM

Get some pics and post it on Craigs list and here. Might find some one to buy whole car for a reasonable price and for just the motor and interior depending how good of shape that is in. Yeah my English is terrible right now but you all get what I mean. Just a suggestion. To many projects for me already. lol Jsut a suggestion. Unfortunately we have to hear of another svx put to rest.