Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-26-2002, 07:25 PM
Hitchhikin'

Best highway option: A/C, or rolling down windows?

I was just reading an engineering textbook, and a sidebar text section mentions tips for minimizing gas consumption. I'd quote the exact statement, but I'm lazy right now, so I'll paraphrase. Basically, the book said that at highway speeds, turning on the air conditioner to achieve a cooling effect was more fuel-efficient than rolling down the windows and sunroof, and noted that this was the case especially in newer, more aerodynamic vehicles. Now, I know that this is just a generalization, and may not apply to the SVX, but I'm curious: would anyone have any substantiated evidence or knowledge which proves or disproves this statement? I usually drive on the highway with the A/C off and the windows and sunroof down, because I believed that I was saving gas. I like the feel of the wind, but I'd rather have A/C, a quiet passenger cabin, and no funky cow manure smells if it saves gas.
Old 09-26-2002, 08:02 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
<<and no funky cow manure smells if it saves gas.>>

Maybee stay away from the buffet bar at lunch

I usually roll up the windows and turn on the AC on the freeway. I don't think it will amount to more than a few dimes each tankfull that you'd save if at all.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 09-26-2002, 08:38 PM
I'm just sayin'..........

<<and no funky cow manure smells if it saves gas.>>

Try living in Amish country......it's a daily occurence here...this time of year it's everywhere...the liquified stuff....stinks to high heaven....spraying it on their feilds....stench would gag a maggot.......

'95 Laguna Blue Pearl SVX L AWD
'18 Kia Stinger GT Twin Turbo - Sunset Yellow
Old 09-26-2002, 08:53 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Another consideration is the compressor being of variable displacement. As more cooling is needed it increases its effective displacement and vice-versa. So once the interior is cooled down the load is decreased considerably.

The one detrimental item I can recall from my first SVX was the effect of having a bra on the car - it was good for a 2mpg hit on a road trip.
Old 09-26-2002, 11:43 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Lightbulb

By golly that's it!! I have about that much difference between my two cars when it comes to mpg on a road trip. I have a bra on one and not on the other. It is about 2 mpg difference. Didn't even think about that. Thanks

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 09-27-2002, 05:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to Paisan Send a message via Yahoo to Paisan
Also if you run "economy" or "vent" with the windows closed it will both save gas and aerodynamics

-mike
Old 09-27-2002, 05:36 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Re: Best highway option: A/C, or rolling down windows?

Quote:
Originally posted by Red SVX 92
I was just reading an engineering textbook, , turning on the air conditioner to achieve a cooling effect was more fuel-efficient than rolling down the windows and sunroof,
I have not tried it both ways cause of the noise. I always have the windows up unless the traffic is slow and it's a beautiful day. The buffeting air noise in the SVX is very strong. I can't stand the beating.
Old 09-27-2002, 10:58 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jscorse
Some anecdotal evidence

Years back my techno gaget loving uncle bought a Merkur and was told that the car gets better mileage with the windows UP and the AC on rather than the other.

He drives a Legacy GT sedan now! Purty car!

On a side note. I discovered the natural resonant frequency of my cabin with the windows shut but sunroof open occurs at about 27mph. The beating can be quite disturbing. Something like 3-5Hz I'd say. If I changed speed it would go away.

Just like a VERY low frequency whistle, as air passes over the opening it setup a resonance in the 'chamber'.

It makes your chest pound and your hair (what little there is left) bounce.

Besides who can STAND driving THAT slow for too long!
Old 09-27-2002, 12:01 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
It would make sense that, with windows down, at highway speeds, the drag on the car would be increased. Windows up would increase the efficiency of the .029 coefiicient of drag, I would think. That, and the variable displacement, pointed out by Beav, could possibly equate to better fuel efficiency, but, no, I have not substantiated evidence.

My father used to make us swelter in the summer because he didn't want to waste gas running the air conditioner. Of course, that was in the good ol' days, when "heavy metal" was used to refer to cars instead of music, plus, aerodynamics took a rumble seat to styling.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-27-2002, 12:02 PM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Back in the early 70's, Car & Driver did some testing on this. There was a definite negative impact on gas mileage when driving with the windows open vs leaving them closed. I don't remember if they tried it with AC on and off.

They also tested a bunch of other mods, such as front air dams and reducing the opening in the grill, and found some of them really worked.

Their test vehicle was a Pinto. Today's more aerodynamic cars might not get such favorable results. It would be an interesting project for them to redo.

How come I can't remember where I put my car keys, but I can remember a magazine article from 30 years ago?

2001 Outback Sport
Old 09-27-2002, 06:09 PM
Hitchhikin'

Re: Re: Best highway option: A/C, or rolling down windows?

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter

I have not tried it both ways cause of the noise. I always have the windows up unless the traffic is slow and it's a beautiful day. The buffeting air noise in the SVX is very strong. I can't stand the beating.
Personally, I love having the windows down on the SVX. The wind and noise is a fraction of what it is in the other cars I've driven. In my previous car, I constantly had problems of stuff flying out of the rear windows, while I never worry about that in the SVX. If I open the sunroof, it does get a lil loud and harsh, but still not overly bad. That, and I don't like the laggy feeling I get when accelerating with the A/C on.
Old 09-27-2002, 06:27 PM
Hitchhikin'

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
It would make sense that, with windows down, at highway speeds, the drag on the car would be increased. Windows up would increase the efficiency of the .029 coefiicient of drag, I would think. That, and the variable displacement, pointed out by Beav, could possibly equate to better fuel efficiency, but, no, I have not substantiated evidence.

My father used to make us swelter in the summer because he didn't want to waste gas running the air conditioner. Of course, that was in the good ol' days, when "heavy metal" was used to refer to cars instead of music, plus, aerodynamics took a rumble seat to styling.
Don't worry Aredub, they still do that in modern times. My parents put me through the same exact thng, and I can't even legally drink yet. Grrr... just a few more months... *gulp*

Another thing I just remembered: internal combustion engines generally get higher thermal efficiencies at full throttle, as opposed to partial throttle, because of turbulence in the um... air throttle mechanism(?). Not sure if that only applies to carbureted engines, or to FI engines as well, but if it does, would it seem logical that the car would be running more efficiently by turning on the A/C (I don't mean using less gas by turning on the A/C, but that adding the A/C load to the engine would increase efficiency and thus require less of an increase in gas added to the engine)?

Wow, looking back at what I just said, it seems very convoluted, but I can't think of any other way to explain without diagrams and a 40-minute discussion on the topic. Any takers?
Old 09-27-2002, 08:12 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Don't bother - I know what you're trying to say and you don't want to be known as the person that said it.