Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 02-06-2007, 08:57 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Question Did I do the right thing?

Wife was in SoCal last Weds-Sun visiting the kids and Grandson, and seeing her Sis up from San Diego. I was at home icing up a growler of Beerman's best Heffeweisen for the Bowl at some friends, when she called on her way home. About an hour later, just prior to my departure, she comes up on the Caller-ID, uh-oh!!

Says she's on the South side of the Grapevine just outside Castaic, by the roadside. Stopped cuz the Legacy sounded like it was dragging something, but nothing there. Now it won't start(click-). No overheating, so I'm still hopeful. Have her check for obvious signs, oil puddles, mess under the hood, etc and nothing shows. Subsequent try to start makes "Horrible" noise, aw $hIt!! Call CSAA for a flatbed to Subie dealer in Bakersfield, and once she arrives and have some friends there (whew! they're home!) on the way to pick her up, I head out to party.

Check in with dealer Monday, and I'm told motor is shot, most likely rod/bearing/bottom-end toasted. Car has 165K on her and now comes the dilemma. Spend some major dough on new short-block, used motor, or look for a new ride. Asked her, to be told "NO CAR PAYMENT!" and willing to drive it for a couple more years b4 getting something quieter(grown up car).

So, long story semi-short: my shop guy is leaving 7am Weds with car trailer to fetch it, and her, on my dime, about 300mi each way. New short-block, re-use heads with 40K old valve-job, surfaced and cleaned up, new T-belt, Exedy clutch and "snout kit', gasket set, H2O pump, etc etc. Bottom line $5K plus transportation. We both love the car and she looks 3 yrs old, not 9, check my locker. Dumb? Sentimental? Mental? Realistic?Remember, this is California, and dealer was guessing $6-7K.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 02-06-2007, 09:32 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
I guess the T-Belt snapped and toasted the top end? Or did it throw a rod? Either way, a rare occurrence. I'd have just swapped the entire engine for 2k and been done with it.

That is a smokin' wagon though.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 02-07-2007, 12:48 AM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RojoRocket
Wife was in SoCal last Weds-Sun visiting the kids and Grandson, and seeing her Sis up from San Diego. I was at home icing up a growler of Beerman's best Heffeweisen for the Bowl at some friends, when she called on her way home. About an hour later, just prior to my departure, she comes up on the Caller-ID, uh-oh!!

Says she's on the South side of the Grapevine just outside Castaic, by the roadside. Stopped cuz the Legacy sounded like it was dragging something, but nothing there. Now it won't start(click-). No overheating, so I'm still hopeful. Have her check for obvious signs, oil puddles, mess under the hood, etc and nothing shows. Subsequent try to start makes "Horrible" noise, aw $hIt!! Call CSAA for a flatbed to Subie dealer in Bakersfield, and once she arrives and have some friends there (whew! they're home!) on the way to pick her up, I head out to party.

Check in with dealer Monday, and I'm told motor is shot, most likely rod/bearing/bottom-end toasted. Car has 165K on her and now comes the dilemma. Spend some major dough on new short-block, used motor, or look for a new ride. Asked her, to be told "NO CAR PAYMENT!" and willing to drive it for a couple more years b4 getting something quieter(grown up car).

So, long story semi-short: my shop guy is leaving 7am Weds with car trailer to fetch it, and her, on my dime, about 300mi each way. New short-block, re-use heads with 40K old valve-job, surfaced and cleaned up, new T-belt, Exedy clutch and "snout kit', gasket set, H2O pump, etc etc. Bottom line $5K plus transportation. We both love the car and she looks 3 yrs old, not 9, check my locker. Dumb? Sentimental? Mental? Realistic?Remember, this is California, and dealer was guessing $6-7K.

Glenn
Some of the best subi's I ever met were on the way to the 'used parts' counter.

Spend the money if the car was what you wanted. I am sure that your guy will have a lot different numbers than the dealer!
I bought a $9,500 car with 'head issues', for $4,500 and fixed the prob for less than 700$ three years later I had to put wiper blades and a battery in it.

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry
Old 02-07-2007, 05:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
I vote for importing a B4 Blitzen motor and installing it.

Twin Turbo's baby.....
Old 02-07-2007, 06:47 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Pick up a used 1st gen EJ22 and drop in it, it has a little less power, but is pretty much bullet proof...I can find them for as little as $200....just look around...

That's what I'd do...
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 02-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Superbeast

Or.........EJ22T
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 02-07-2007, 03:01 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subafreak
Or.........EJ22T
+1

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 02-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subafreak
Or.........EJ22T
+a zillion

There are lots of other things I would spend the money on engine-wise.
I'd love an excuse to drop more boost in the beater!

But if you just want a reliable car, the advice I tend to give is....
If you can make what you currently own better than anything you could buy with the same funds.... keep the car!

If you just want it to last a few more years... drop in a low-miles with a new rear seal and oil pan gasket and be done with it. Do the rest of the service if the engine works out, the hard to reach parts are already done.

I also love the idea of no car payment, although after the toyotas "fit" the other night I see a NEW subaru in my future for the girl. It is times like this I wish I owned at least one automatic I'm not in the position to buy new with cash right now
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 02-07-2007, 07:14 PM
Dont Drink and Drift

You can find amazing cars with plenty of life in them for little cash. I bought a 1988 Honda Prelude 2.0S 5 speed with 97k miles for $450. It just needed a radiator and water pump. Replaced the timing belt while i was at it and for less than a grand she was good as new. Id drive it anywhere. Given since owning it I have put a B20 from a CRV in it and a small turbo mounted to a pretty crude made manifold but its just a toy, not a daily driver... Hell, It doesnt even have an intercooler =P

It sounds like a great car and if all it needs is another engine then find another identical to it with low miles, tinker with a few mods, drop it in, and be on your way. Its beater, gotta maintain reliability AND when you do sell it or trade it you'll never get your money's worth from dropping in a high performance EJ22T in it. IMO, for a beater, stock is the way to go.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:35 AM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Thanks for all the feedback SVX'ers. The idea of an EJ22T has been discussed with the "daily driver" wife previously, and may have been feasible when the car was running. However, that's not the case, and the car is our "traveler" when big items need to be ferried to the kids, parents, etc, and her "dependable" transportation. Guess it boils down to time, and we don't really have any. This car has to be returned to service asap, or she'll want to use mine.

The car and wife are safely home as of last night, thanks to the shop owner's brother and a 12 hour round trip, in the rain. Kudos to Bill!!! Short-block will be here Fri and the fun begins. Just hoping nothing is found amiss with the heads when the old mill comes apart today. We discussed our situation last night over dinner and believe we've chosen the most practical and realistic path back to having solid, safe, daily transportation back in her hands. We love the little battle-wagon, and I'll continue to tinker with her for a few more years. Again, thanks for your feedback.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!

Old 02-08-2007, 01:10 PM
Dont Drink and Drift

I for one LOVE that model of the Legacy... I think theyre gorgeous really =) Glad to see youre keeping it around and not sending it off to the yard. KUDOS for that!!! Hell you'll get another 100k out of it with another short block!
Old 02-09-2007, 06:36 AM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer6SVX
I for one LOVE that model of the Legacy... I think theyre gorgeous really =) Glad to see youre keeping it around and not sending it off to the yard. KUDOS for that!!! Hell you'll get another 100k out of it with another short block!
Thanks man! We had a 91 LS Wagon previously, and the BD/BH body style just knocked me out when introduced. I had to have one, and this one was being sold by a Subie used car Mgr that had her since new, loaded up. He commuted about 125mi a day, so the mileage was high(80K) when I bought her in 2000. I was thinking more like another 150K!!!

Glenn

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: