Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-18-2006, 12:53 PM

2003 WRX Tranny question

Found a slightly used (under 14k) WRX 5 Speed & wondering if this is a good unit for the 5 speed swap? I think it's made to order but wondered if someone could advise before I buy it. Deal or no deal??
Old 10-18-2006, 01:01 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
That would be a good candidate. Don't forget you'll need much more than just the tranny. You won't need to touch the rear differential though.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:43 PM

Sounds great. Yeah, I've been following the thread on conversion and the kit Tom puts together so just may be the next to request one of those. Nice winter project & was going to put her to sleep for a few months anyway.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:29 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiedo
Found a slightly used (under 14k) WRX 5 Speed & wondering if this is a good unit for the 5 speed swap? I think it's made to order but wondered if someone could advise before I buy it. Deal or no deal??
Same tranny I used .... Still working Great after 3 years and I Autocross the hell outta my SVX now

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 10-20-2006, 12:11 PM

Good to hear that. I'm still wondering if I'm overcommitting from a standpoint of my 95 has a perfectly good tranny (maybe 4-sale soon) and the cost of the "kit" and clutch components, hydraulics, miscellaneous items. But hearing the goodness that will come from the swap, think I'll get the tranny which is about a grand and start stockpiling the parts. By the way, is a thousand bucks sound high for an 03 WRX tranny with under 14k on it and no shift linkage? Just wondering?
Old 10-22-2006, 10:37 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

$1,000.00 '03 WRX 5speed

I don't know if $1,000.00 is a good deal there but it sure would be here. If you decide against it let me know who's selling it and I'll buy it.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:36 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
it really depends on the tranny. The later model 03's had bigger gears which can hold a little more power and abuse. But all in all a tranny with less than 20k on it is a good deal as long as the car wasn't raced. My 6mt had 8,000 miles on it and I got the whole swap for $3300(yeah it was a steal). But anyway that is a good price and a good trans to start gathering parts.

Tom