How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-01-2006, 06:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
Tranny Woes

Hey guys not sure what's going on with my tranny but i hope we'll be able to get somewhere here. Here's the basic's the tranny has about 30k miles on it since it was installed, it was supposedly a rebuilt unit. These are the symptoms:

1. While driving down the highway at around 50-55 mph I will get a shudder almost like a hiccup, i give it more gas and move up to 60 mph and beyond and there isn't an issue

2. All of a sudden today when i am starting from a standstill and accelerating it won't downshift (very abruptly) till about 3k rpm

3. when i start from a standstill and accelerate very slowly it will downshift at about 2500 rpm.

4. Once i get through the initial gears I am assuming i am in overdrive at this point the car drives fine. Everything is where it should be 60 mph @ 2k rpm 75 mph at 2500 rpm.

So what gives? Is my tranny on its way out? Its too dark out right now to check the fluid level i'll be doing that tomorrow morning. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Chris
Old 09-05-2006, 10:13 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
How's the fluid?

May want to inspect the throttle position sensor for cleanliness and accuracy.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
Well i checked the fluid and it was all fine, the fluid didn't smell burned, although now when after driving there is a distinct burning smell. Also now the car won't go above 75 mph, i'll be at 2500 rpm's at 75 and then when I try to go a bit faster the rpm's just increase without any difference in speed.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:10 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001
Well i checked the fluid and it was all fine, the fluid didn't smell burned, although now when after driving there is a distinct burning smell. Also now the car won't go above 75 mph, i'll be at 2500 rpm's at 75 and then when I try to go a bit faster the rpm's just increase without any difference in speed.
Does it feel like the tranny is slipping? The high clutch failed in mine like that. Low throttle input was ok but anything more and the RPM's would just climb. It will either be the clutch or low ATF flow.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:21 AM

my 92 started to do the same thing and got worse fast. it seems the trans cooler is kinda clogged causing the clutches to burn... I go tthe same burning fluid smell....and I had a B&M cooler, to lazt to put it on...stupid me