Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-08-2006, 01:39 PM

Possible overheating? Help please.

Okay just recently I have been cruising around town in my car a decent amount in the nice weather we've been having. After about 25-30 minutes of around town driving my engine light comes on (the temp gauge doesn't move). I opened my hood and my coolant tank was boiling. I just replaced the radiator about 6 months ago myself and haven't had any previous problems with the cooling system. Anyone know what this could be? Also my oil dip stick is always up (looks like it pops up from boiling) and not in its pushed down postition. And another thing...when i hammer on the throttle, about 3 seconds later through my vents a smell of buring fuel or something burning enters my interior. Any ideas?

Last edited by benjaminbreeze; 08-08-2006 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:58 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
The dipstick is a combination between the o-ring on the dipstick and the PCV valve.

Does your temperature gauge start from the "C" position in the morning and work it's way up?
Old 08-08-2006, 02:07 PM

Yes, it does work its way up and is in the horizontal position while driving around. Is the dip stick a problem? or no?
Old 08-08-2006, 02:31 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Dipstick is not a problem.

As for the overheating is it the overflow tank that's boiling?

Sounds like a potential head gasket failure. Use the search feature to help diagnose if this is the case.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:08 PM

The overflow tank actually may not be boiling, there may just be bubbles coming from it as i've read in other places in the site...but i just got the head gaskets replaced/fixed(ive spent about 5k on repairs in a year) because i had major oil leaks. Does this cause for concern? like I don't know for sure whats going on....
Old 08-08-2006, 04:36 PM
Meow!

Get it tested. A cracked head could also cause this. Look up the hydrocarbon/coolant test.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:10 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminbreeze
The overflow tank actually may not be boiling, there may just be bubbles coming from it as i've read in other places in the site...but i just got the head gaskets replaced/fixed(ive spent about 5k on repairs in a year) because i had major oil leaks. Does this cause for concern? like I don't know for sure whats going on....
"The dip stick pops up, and the engine had major oil leaks".

These problems are due to a blocked PCV valve, causing pressure build up in the crankcase, to force the oil out all the seals and gaskets. Needs replacing.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.