Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-03-2006, 12:16 PM
Ren-Ma Osu

Anyone have any advice on my tranny cooler plan?

Flex a lite tranny cooler question
Local auto parts store tells me a Flexlite tranny cooler #4112 GVW 12,000 with connecting kit for $49.95 5" x 15" x about 3/4" should do the trick for the SVX and should be mounted in front of radiator. The fact that it's not too large might be a plus in terms of having more air still hitting the radiator. I know some people recommend the GVW 26,000. They said I don't need a separate tranny filter because all the dirt would be in the main tranny filter. I was going to have my local service shop install it.

I have a FWD car and the tranny seems fine.

Does my 1994 have a separate filter already?

Should I get a separate tranny filter? If so, where should I install it. I don't have ABS brakes so that area is clear. I know they make a temp guage that plugs into a sender above filter.

Should it be tranny -- filter -- external cooler -- radiator -- back to tranny all in series? I don't know what order to run it.

I have synthetic fluid -- Maxlife Semi-Synthetic that was put in 10/21/2005 and about 2,600 miles ago with a new filter. Previous owner paid $95 for this servicing. Should I change the tranny fluid and main filter, or just top it off? Should I use a particular brand of main filter? Should I stay with Maxlife?

Funny thing is the auto parts store and my service station all act like I'm crazy for being concerned because I'm not towing or racing.

Even my local Subaru dealer told me he has never installed a tranny cooler.

I also read somewhere about someone on this board removing lower plastic engine protector and cleaning out a lot of crap that was there which helped AC run cooler. My engine area looks very clean.

I know some of this has been gone over in other posts -- which I've read.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:21 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSVX96
Flex a lite tranny cooler question
Local auto parts store tells me a Flexlite tranny cooler #4112 GVW 12,000 with connecting kit for $49.95 5" x 15" x about 3/4" should do the trick for the SVX and should be mounted in front of radiator. The fact that it's not too large might be a plus in terms of having more air still hitting the radiator. I know some people recommend the GVW 26,000. They said I don't need a separate tranny filter because all the dirt would be in the main tranny filter. I was going to have my local service shop install it.

I have a FWD car and the tranny seems fine.

Does my 1994 have a separate filter already?

Should I get a separate tranny filter? If so, where should I install it. I don't have ABS brakes so that area is clear. I know they make a temp guage that plugs into a sender above filter.

Should it be tranny -- filter -- external cooler -- radiator -- back to tranny all in series? I don't know what order to run it.

I have synthetic fluid -- Maxlife Semi-Synthetic that was put in 10/21/2005 and about 2,600 miles ago with a new filter. Previous owner paid $95 for this servicing. Should I change the tranny fluid and main filter, or just top it off? Should I use a particular brand of main filter? Should I stay with Maxlife?

Funny thing is the auto parts store and my service station all act like I'm crazy for being concerned because I'm not towing or racing.

Even my local Subaru dealer told me he has never installed a tranny cooler.

I also read somewhere about someone on this board removing lower plastic engine protector and cleaning out a lot of crap that was there which helped AC run cooler. My engine area looks very clean.

I know some of this has been gone over in other posts -- which I've read.

They act like your crazy because they've never had to pay for an SVX tranny swap. The cooler is the single best thing you can do for your car. It will preserve the live of your tranny. I have my cooler inbetween the a/c condensor and the radiator. Simple install and loads off my mind. TomsSVX has changed my tranny fluid a few times and he said the fluid looked brand new each time.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 06-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Live it, Love it, Breathe it

Send a message via Yahoo to SVX-FF
My advice would be to mount the tranny cooler towards the passenger side of the Radiator. That side's fan runs more. The driver side fan only runs when the car get to hot or when the A/C is on. I do not think that you have a tranny filter. They started on the 4EAT Phase 2 ones. If you do there will be a filter on the driver side of the tranny to the rear of the half shaft.

See attached PDF for a picture.

I run just a tranny cooler and filter. The lines pass thru the filter just before entering the tranny. I have had no problem with my set up. Your tranny fluid should be good for 15,000 miles. That is the recommended for ATF type fluid. Synthetic will last longer.

Good luck
Steve
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 4EATService.pdf (154.3 KB, 138 views)

SVXepidia SVX information warehouse
Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father
"Tranny #6" I really need a manual

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 06-03-2006, 04:09 PM
Ren-Ma Osu

Thank you for the info.

Should I add a tranny filter like a Perma Cool SUMG4980?

Is the Flexlite GVW 12,000 sufficient?
Old 06-05-2006, 10:45 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX-FF
My advice would be to mount the tranny cooler towards the passenger side of the Radiator. That side's fan runs more.
I still claim that both fans always run at the same time. If one fan is not running some of the time there's a problem with the fan/relay.

The fans have 3 speeds (and off)
Old 06-05-2006, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Check in the How-To documents TRANSMISSION folder for various ATF cooler configurations.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?How-To|14287

These include series, parallel and bypass diagrams, plus a "counter flow" diagtram, using a diverter valve for summer and winter positions.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 06-05-2006, 10:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
yeah one thing that you should know is that you live in a cool state to there is a chanse that you might cool your tranny TOO MUCH... it might take your car longer untill it is warmed up enough to shift in to 4th
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 06-06-2006, 05:32 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suby Fan
yeah one thing that you should know is that you live in a cool state to there is a chanse that you might cool your tranny TOO MUCH... it might take your car longer untill it is warmed up enough to shift in to 4th
No it won't. People said the same thing about my tranny cooler which is the one he is planning on getting and I have no such issues. The tranny will shift to fourth gear when the tranny temp is above 50 degrees. The Torque converter will lock up once above 150.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 06-06-2006, 07:17 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b on demand
No it won't. People said the same thing about my tranny cooler which is the one he is planning on getting and I have no such issues. The tranny will shift to fourth gear when the tranny temp is above 50 degrees. The Torque converter will lock up once above 150.
I also had the 26000GVW cooler in my SVX, and it reached operating temperature fine. It would never go above 200* though, no matter how hard I pushed it.

http://stickyvinylgraphics.com/
Old 06-06-2006, 08:10 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin
I also had the 26000GVW cooler in my SVX, and it reached operating temperature fine. It would never go above 200* though, no matter how hard I pushed it.
I have a Hayden 30000GVW stack cooler, dropped temp 20 degrees. I get lockup at 130 degrees. Most summer days I go over 200 degrees due to hi ambients of 100+.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
well ill be damned
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 06-10-2006, 07:33 PM

I placed my tranny cooler in front of the ac condenser so the rad wouldnt heat it up any. Not that I drive my car now but I never had a heat related tranny issue.

1993 Ford Probe 30mpg 213k
1989 Subaru XT6 150k
All good and running