How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-12-2006, 07:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
Cross member as a jack point?

I've been using the cross member to jack up the front of the car and putting the jack stands on the two parts of the frame on either side of the cross member, is that a bad thing? I've noticed some indentations on the cross member, i just hope i haven't messed anything up. I have the manuals which show the jack points but i am just to leary of the jacks going straight through the floor panels!!
Old 05-12-2006, 08:37 AM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
the engine crossmember? Its fine to jack from there

the little tension bar slightly behind that which could be considered a crossmember...your asking to be crushed

the transmission crossmember....too far under the car to jack from, and even if you could reach it...dont bother. its not that sturdy

the factory jack points are right along the car's frame rails (unibody style) theres no way they will get messed up.

When jacking the car up (And ive done this plenty enough) I jack by the jack points, engine crosmember, and the rear diff, and in the case of my fwd svx, the rear tow hook
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 05-12-2006, 09:52 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
I jack mine at the front tow hooks...they were already folded and bent over when I bought the car, so it works for me and I don't have to run the jack too far under the car.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:03 AM

Registered SVX
front wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvx95
I jack mine at the front tow hooks...they were already folded and bent over when I bought the car, so it works for me and I don't have to run the jack too far under the car.
Looked in your locker. The pics of the SVX on the trailer, front wheels are on the wrong side.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:32 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
I use the front suspension crossmember all the time. I always put a block of 1x4 pine between the jack and the crossmember. Watch out for the PS lines behind the crossmember. If you hit those, you could tear out a PS line.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:25 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX

Yes, I know.....Fixed when I got it home.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:29 AM
A flight-less flyer

Send a message via Yahoo to floatingkiwi
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
the engine crossmember? Its fine to jack from there

the little tension bar slightly behind that which could be considered a crossmember...your asking to be crushed

the transmission crossmember....too far under the car to jack from, and even if you could reach it...dont bother. its not that sturdy

the factory jack points are right along the car's frame rails (unibody style) theres no way they will get messed up.

When jacking the car up (And ive done this plenty enough) I jack by the jack points, engine crosmember, and the rear diff, and in the case of my fwd svx, the rear tow hook
I'd have to disagree with the use of the rear diff though - it rips the two rubber mounts that you can see from the rear of the car. At the very least it compresses them as they are now taking the weight of the rear of the car.

Matt

Just Crusin'
Old 05-31-2006, 10:40 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
I'd have to disagree with the use of the rear diff though - it rips the two rubber mounts that you can see from the rear of the car. At the very least it compresses them as they are now taking the weight of the rear of the car.
Not mine. I'm still waiting for more to be made but the polyurethane mounts I have will never rip

(see group buy forum)