Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-07-2006, 05:09 AM

By-Pass Air Control Solenoid problems

As I mentioned in a different thread I am having some issues with the idle on my car, It will run perfect some times but others will sit at 2,000 rpm and nothing can get it down. I blocked the hose to the Auxiliary air control and there was no improvement. Next I blocked the air supply to the By-Pass Air Control Solenoid Value and then went for a drive. As you can image the car would not idle at all but I could control that we the foot throttle. What I found was that this solenoid is the problem with the idle.
A interesting side note is that the car accelerated a lot smoother then before as well as the throttle being far more responisive. It is very difficult to drive the car with no idle but I suggest some of you try it. The best thing is that over the years I have found that when you are cornering hard it is as important for the engine to slow down quickly just as much as speeding up. When driving in the mountains the brakes are always fighting the engine because the revs haven't come back far enough when you need breaking. Now the car is 5 speed I think having a responive engine is even more important.
The SVX value has a spring rotor which is not directly driven from the ECU but bounches back and forth. I wonder when we are accelerating hard if the solenoid could be working against the engine. I would like to find a way to do with out it or get a latter type fitted that gives better performance. By the way I blocked the hose with thick electicial tape and wire ties so it wasn't sucked into the engine.
I look forward to your comments.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:58 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Grounding the neutral pin helps with high idle.

If you still get a high idle even if the engine is warm coming to a complete stop will reset the idle.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:12 PM

The high idle won't stop even when I am driving through a takeaway line up. Yesterday I was in one and it took 10 min to get through and the idle never went below 1,500 then 1/2 later it was right again. What do you mean about grounding the netrul.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:19 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
There is an input wire on the ECU that tells the ECU that the phantom 4eat is in neutral. See the picture below. Its connector B60, terminal #10. If you tap the wire and run a lead to ground, that will enable the "4eat in neutral" setting in the ecu. The idle should drop down to normal values.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:42 PM

I have my netrul wired in so it controls the start and cruse control on the car had to connect it to the 5 speed other wise I had to many problems. I think the value is sticking. Mychailo given that you like trying new things with your car I challange you to block off your solenoid and see if you agree that the car is more responsive. I think what I may do is change the gasket and use it to restrict the amount of air getting to the solenoid. My other choice is to drill a hole in the body of the unit and tap a screw to stop it opening to far this will be the best as it should still function but have a very limited effect on the engine. I don't have a clock with 100's of secs because I would like to check how fast the revs come off with it blocked. Its 5.30 am on Saturday and I better get to work before I get the sack.
Tony
Old 04-10-2006, 02:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
suscribing to the thread sorry i couldnt offer any other assistance. I've battled problems with the bpas for quite some time . YOu can look at my previous post for any possible help.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:10 AM

Mychailo I replaced the bpas valve and still have issues the problem is only some times is that fixed by grounding the neutral wire.
Tony
Old 04-19-2006, 11:24 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I have a switch wired for the neutral ground wire. It's always grounded until I need cruise.