Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-08-2006, 04:00 PM

This sucks!!

I checked my oil today, and its a dark brown color. Is that bad? Also,with the engine running, theres a squeel. My brother said it sounds like metal-to-metal contact. I think its a belt. Its 46 degrees out, and theres white smoke coming out my exhaust? And, I have drawn an illustration of where I found a black oil residue on my intake manifold. I'm not sure if it is new or maybe I just havent noticed it untill now. I cleaned it off though, so I hope it isnt a leak.

Also, my coolant was low.
I cant have my car break down on me, especially not now. I have no job, and no possible way of fixing it, should something happen, within the next week or so. This sucks!!

1995 SVX L(mods: slotted/bored raceconcepts rotors,full stebro cat-back exhaust,green cone air-filter,rust )
116,000 mi
My Locker
Old 04-10-2006, 02:56 AM
Graphic Artist

My oil is milky, my coolent is low
My car makes sqeaky noises
When I try to go.

Denial wont help
And no, its not a belt
Ladies and gentlemen, can I get a collective moan?

This dudes head gasket is probably blown

1995 Ebony Pearl. S.N. 0001 "Araby"

JDM Power Mode Switch, Integrated GPS/Video Player
6Xk Miles.

1992 Teal - Sold to Mysvxrocks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-10-2006, 05:01 AM
Bipa

Does your temp gauge ever go up? Before starting to panic about a head gasket repair, first run some basic tests which don't cost a whole lot, like checking for exhaust in the coolant.

If it does end up being head gaskets, then you have my sympathies. I had to do mine last summer
Old 04-10-2006, 06:18 AM
Endangered Species

Send a message via MSN to -JJ-
i have dark oil always, and it leaks slowly from perdy much every seal in the engine, i wouldnt jump straight into head gasket problems, but it is a possibility,

to check for head gasket problems look at your coolant and see if it empties itself, you can check for oil residue in the coolant aswel, and also check ur oil dipstick and see if you can see any white bubbles (coolant)

could just be that your seals have begun to leak (Im always an optimist )

also what is 40 odd degrees out????

good luck
Jake

P.S. I drove my liberty round with a blown head gasket for six months, just removed the thermostat very very dodgy but it got me out of trouble till i had some money

removed intake silencer, k&N pannel filter, trans cooler, 94 JDM 4eat, Noltec front swaybar mounts, Motorsport D&S disks with EBC Greenstuff pads

Last edited by -JJ-; 04-10-2006 at 06:21 AM.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:42 AM

Luckily no, my temp gauge hasnt gone up at all. I filled my coolant up a couple days ago, so we'll see if that changes. 46 degrees=outside temperature. But after observing my exhaust for awhile, I noticed the smoke would dissipate right after it left the tail pipe, thats a good sign I guess.

1995 SVX L(mods: slotted/bored raceconcepts rotors,full stebro cat-back exhaust,green cone air-filter,rust )
116,000 mi
My Locker
Old 04-10-2006, 06:40 PM

nextseven You should change your name to the fix-a-rhymer

He said his oil was dark brown not milky. If it was milky (light brownish gooey) then maybe a blown gasket. I think its probably just leaking some oil, and maybe a loose belt or the water pump could be getting ready to sieze. Can't say for sure though.

1993 Ford Probe 30mpg 213k
1989 Subaru XT6 150k
All good and running

Last edited by spinn360; 04-10-2006 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:52 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
antifreeze doesn't just dissapear. It either leaks for burns. need to find out what it is doing. If it is burning(causing a sweet smell out of the exhaust, I would say head gasket. if it leaks, could be something as simple as a cracked overflow tank. Or a leaky radiaotr and you need a new one. either way, shouldn't be too bad to fix as long as the HG isn't blown. The squeal could be a belt, and if you cannot remember the last time you changed your acc belts, maybe its about that time eh? Good luck and keep us updated

Tom
Old 04-10-2006, 09:08 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Spray some belt dressing on your belts while the engine is running and hear if the squeeling goes away.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
If the smoke dissipates right away, then it's just moisture, no problems. As for the dark brown oil, it could just be old. When was your last oil change? How bad was the oil residue on the intake manifold? There are always burnt oil fumes under the hood and it could've just accumulated over time. Also, the spots you circled are very close to a power steering line. Could be a pinhole leak in the old rubber.

Lasty, does anyone else see a green happy face with a goatee in that pic?

KuoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by fait_svx
But after observing my exhaust for awhile, I noticed the smoke would dissipate right after it left the tail pipe, thats a good sign I guess.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuoh
Lasty, does anyone else see a green happy face with a goatee in that pic?

KuoH

Yes
aliens with goatee's

Does the car ever get hot? Or has it??

1993 Ford Probe 30mpg 213k
1989 Subaru XT6 150k
All good and running
Old 04-11-2006, 09:28 PM
Mr. Inappropriate

A mild head gasket leak from a coolant chamber will cause steam to blow out the exhaust and dissipate quickly. A more serious leak means more smoke.

Fill up the radiator and with the cap off start the engine. If there's a leak in the head gasket to a coolant chamber compression will blow coolant out of the radiator.

To check for a leak to an oil chamber pull out the dipstick with the engine running. If you get smoke puffing out the dipstick tube you have a head gasket leak into an oil chamber.