Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2002, 11:49 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sub-bourbonite

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Yes, Colin. My colon is not for discussion. Neither, I would think, is Colin's colon, nor Colin's cologne, nor colons from Cologne. Is there a colon college in Cologne, Colin?

(I really do need to get a life, don't I? )

Yes, Randy - I'm afraid this club has become you life's callin'

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 04-02-2002, 02:56 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sub-bourbonite

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Yes, Colin. My colon is not for discussion. Neither, I would think, is Colin's colon, nor Colin's cologne, nor colons from Cologne. Is there a colon college in Cologne, Colin?

(I really do need to get a life, don't I? )
Yep.

Or at the very least, a colonoscopy might be called for.

[Now we're gone real Deep South, with all due deference to Trevor]

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-02-2002, 03:06 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Lock up your missus

Quote:
Originally posted by NZ_SVX

BTW Anyone any idea how to lose the automatic door locking over 15kmh ? Driving the missus nuts.

Conrad
is sound advice around here.

US cars don't have this feature, nor, I think, do UK cars. Mine has it, and I accept it as a safety feature. It is annoying there is no switch to unlock the doors.

I believe later JDM cars have a switch on the instrument panel to unlock, '94 or '95, not sure when it was installed.

One of the UK owners recently disabled his by pulling a fuse, check the UK Yahoo! site, you will see the posts. This also disables your central locking if you can live with that. In his case, it did not matter. He had already fitted an aftermarket security system which had central locking as part of the package.

If you are putting in a security system, keep in mind you need one with its' own C/L. That way you can defeat the autolock.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-03-2002, 07:05 PM

Registered SVX
Auto Door Locking

Strange how every feature has to be modified by someone and I think often without proper thought.

I am very very happy to know there is auto door locking when my wife is out on her own at night. The slight inconvenience with unlocking I do not rate as being a factor negating the benefits of this feature.

Fitting an auxilliary switch as per later models should not be too much of a problem I am sure, but I do not rate the effort as being worthwhile. A switch (Probably a push button) could probably most easily be fitted at a convenient place in the door panel where the connection points should be accessible and mounting simple to arrange.

Conrad, if you wish to do this give me a shout.

Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 04-03-2002 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-04-2002, 09:52 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Auto Door Locking

Quote:
Originally posted by Trevor
Strange how every feature has to be modified by someone and I think often without proper thought.

I am very very happy to know there is auto door locking when my wife is out on her own at night. The slight inconvenience with unlocking I do not rate as being a factor negating the benefits of this feature.

Fitting an auxilliary switch as per later models should not be too much of a problem I am sure, but I do not rate the effort as being worthwhile. A switch (Probably a push button) could probably most easily be fitted at a convenient place in the door panel where the connection points should be accessible and mounting simple to arrange.

Conrad, if you wish to do this give me a shout.

Trevor.
Trevor,
On the later USDM models (94-97), the lock/unlock button is located in the space between the emergency brake handle and the shift lever, on the console.

I am also a fan of the autolock feature, which is a feature the US models did not have.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-04-2002, 07:47 PM

Registered SVX
Thanks Randy,

I was taking into account the physical difficulties of getting at the wiring and the desire of not wanting to mess the car about too much. Within the doors a connection to the the locking solenoid circuit should be easily accessable and a hole for a small push button would not be a major. If I had a wiring diagram as well as details of loom locations things would be a piece of cake.

Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-04-2002, 08:33 PM
NZ_SVX

Question

I do have a override button on the left hand side of the steering column however once the car has slowed below the 15kmh it becomes active once the car exceeds 15kmh again.

Also the the fact that the drivers door unlocks both sides however the passenger has to use the lock as pulling the door handle doesn't unlock it, or have I just found a problem with the car ?

Cheers
Conrad
Old 04-05-2002, 01:50 AM

Registered SVX
Conrad,

I have not heard of an override button as you describe before, unless it is on the centre console as refered to by Randy. Could this have been added by a previous owner and it is not connected correctly ? Give me a ring as this is rather a long winded way of covering the subject.

Trevor.

Last edited by Trevor; 04-05-2002 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-05-2002, 01:43 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
15 kph problem

Quote:
Originally posted by Trevor
Thanks Randy,

I was taking into account the physical difficulties of getting at the wiring and the desire of not wanting to mess the car about too much. Within the doors a connection to the the locking solenoid circuit should be easily accessable and a hole for a small push button would not be a major. If I had a wiring diagram as well as details of loom locations things would be a piece of cake.

Trevor.
Hi Trevor. I have the US manual, and the wiring diagram is not ideal for checking this out. The US cars don't have the 15k feature, although the diagrams show a "door lock timer" module. In all likelihood, this controls the length of time the courtesy lights stay on while opening/shutting the doors.

The speed related lock id not likely a major mod. Probably when the speed is exceeded the ECU circuitry[which is reading speed all the time for various reasons] ensures a switch or relay is thrown which sends a live signal, probably to the driver's door {which closes/opens both}, and the doors are locked.

This signal will be sent every time the car passes the set speed, and the lock circuit is showing as open. Conrad obviously has the JDM model with the push to open switch, and it's not broken, Conrad, it would reset and relock every time you speed up. It is meant to be an aid to allow the driver to unlock for the passenger when the car stops.

If you are not using the power switch on the gearchange console, you might consider replacing it with a push to cancel type, and wiring it to the driver's door. This would be convenient.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl