Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 07:44 PM
JON95SVX

Instruments on dash going on and off

I just purchased my SVX about 3 weeks ago. Until Friday the car has been running great. On Friday driving to work all of the instruments on the dash stopped working. I was able to get everything turned back on by disconnecting the plug in the fuse box. This turned out to be a tempory fix because the problem is getting worse. It’s now staying off for longer periods of time and will randomly turn back on by itself. Has anybody ever experienced this problem with an SVX? Also, the car seems to hesitating while on the gas. The hesitation started on Friday as well. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon
Old 08-04-2005, 07:28 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
Wich connector did you unplug? As far as the hesitation goes you may wanna try the fuel filter..I would replace them every 30k or so they are cheap and easy to replace. it may also be your m.a.f. going bad...but mine stalled alot..any trouble codes in the E.C.M.?
Old 08-05-2005, 04:03 AM
Tim-H

My best guess would be the alternator. I had the same thing happen to me when i went through about 5 alternators in 4 months. I dont remember any hesitation caused by the problem, but i didnt really drive it around much when the instruments went dead.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:56 AM
red95svx

An alternator that is not functioning correctly (or just plain old dies) causes all the warning lights to go on, but does not cause the gauges to stop working. It sounds like you have a short somewhere in the wiring.

Dave
Old 08-07-2005, 05:54 PM
JON95SVX

replaced fuse box

I took the fuse box out of my friend’s parts car and installed it in mine this weekend. All of the gages are working now. I’m still having the hesitation problem, so I'm going to try replacing the fuel filter. I don't know when it was last replaced. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:42 PM
Tim-H

Quote:
Originally Posted by red95svx
An alternator that is not functioning correctly (or just plain old dies) causes all the warning lights to go on, but does not cause the gauges to stop working. It sounds like you have a short somewhere in the wiring.

Dave
Well thats what should happen with a bad alt, which did happen on the first few alts that went out. But like i said this one caused the same problem. Probobly a short in the alternator shorting the whole system would be my guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon95svx
I took the fuse box out of my friend’s parts car and installed it in mine this weekend. All of the gages are working now. I’m still having the hesitation problem, so I'm going to try replacing the fuel filter. I don't know when it was last replaced. Thanks for the help.
Good to hear you found the problem.

Last edited by Tim-H; 08-10-2005 at 08:44 PM.